How would you start a Diorama?

D

Deleted member 5496

I have built 3 8foot long dioramas. First thing is to plan what hardware is to go on your diorama.

How big you can afford to build it.

Put in say Spitfire about to take off pictures in browser search. This will give a good clue. Did that with both Afghanistan Falklands Diorama. This gives you an idea on terrain vegetation & in Falklands tracks & how they are worn. Fences barns so much information. So lots of vital information from pictures.

This will give a first class start. After that it depends on your imagination in 3d. Close eyes & just think.

A great way is to undulate the ground. I have used polyfiller to create bumps mounds etc before covering with what ever the finish.

Put in as much detail as possible as it makes it interesting. Depending on the size a backdrop makes a better diorama. Many backdrop pictures sky mountian etc are available.

I have a basic plan but will build & change as I go along. One thing it is for me very exciting free to do & change as you wish no rules..

I got the idea here 1617618521595.jpeg

1617618676241.jpeg
1617618804900.jpeg

You can also have a bit of fun

1617618907243.jpeg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Was reading a book about late WWII action in the Tyrol area of Europe & thought how difficult recovery would be in that topography with that eras' under powered vehicles. I also had this large chunk of packing foam & had recently attended a seminar on WWII German recovery methods. The result was depicting a difficult recovery around this lump of styrofoam. The star of the show for me was the eight cable block and tackle using the bergepanther as a fulcrum. PaulE
100_1836.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Kappa Line Foamboard for buildings, Sea Grass for trees. roots, soil, sand filler, Sculpey Mould for bases as well as insulation foam .
Ah!...the secrets are out John Some familiar and others will need some local versions identified.

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Paul....that is nice and dramatic landscaping.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Laurie, when it comes to scratching buildings there's no running away from a good set of scale drawings for measurements.
Funny how certain vehicles are never the versions you want in a kit. I still haven't found a series 3 with a separate cab hard top in 1/35 scale.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes...yes, now we know why John is always faffing about in the garden.....90% of his dioramas are edible!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :tongue-out: Rick H.
Still gardening in miniature I suppose. :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: :smiling6:...will need trimming from time to time.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

Laurie, when it comes to scratching buildings there's no running away from a good set of scale drawings for measurements.
Funny how certain vehicles are never the versions you want in a kit. I still haven't found a series 3 with a separate cab hard top in 1/35 scale.

Cheers,
Richard
Ha Ha spent 50 years to the day in architecture Richard. First 30 with pencil next 20 on CAD. ;)

Do what I did Richard. The series 2 & 3 depicted are Military Snatch. New roof windows on sides new back window & door new reformed bonetts & diy grilles.

Laurie

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been waiting half a century for a decent 1/87 Hellcat Richard. I use real dirt & rocks, cigarette ash & tobacco, sawdust, Woodland Scenics ground foam of various colors & sizes, sedum for tree armatures, Noch, Faller, & Busch for other gardening stuff.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Model railroading is just a diorama w/animation. My 'layout resurrection' is currently my largest and most complex dio as the electrical is yet to be completed. This was planned w/scale drawings and a list of materials. The plan was adjusted a couple of times as events required. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
So many ways to start a diorama...and Laurie, you've shown some via researching the net and accumulating images. I do similar for scratch building kits and historical references.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Model railroading is just a diorama w/animation. My 'layout resurrection' is currently my largest and most complex dio as the electrical is yet to be completed. This was planned w/scale drawings and a list of materials. The plan was adjusted a couple of times as events required. PaulE
Paul, that railroad dio is going to be one massive build once the electricals have been sorted out. A flexible plan is always a good plan...lots of room for extra creativity.

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Other than a few tweaks here & there the MoW area is all the scenery remaining to be done. The electrical for the continuous run seems OK, but there's some bugs in the Industrial & Container areas.
100_2802.JPG
100_2804.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Won't be long till the Video comes out I hope......would be nice to see this baby in motion. :thumb2: Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You guys in the States clearly have no space issue Paul. Looks like you fitted three towns in there...amazing.

Cheers,
Richard

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Paul, that is one impressive railroad layout, really full of interest for the eye. My nephew & I built a railway layout in my Mum & Dad's loft when he was young, we had to dismantle it when my parents moved, but it's in the loft at their new place waiting to be resurrected.
I have been buying things to go on a diorama based around Operation Bagration, I have a IS-2, Pak 40, a building & figures.
This idea is way out of my comfort zone, not done any diorama's, except for the odd base for a tank, not done a great deal of figure painting of done any buildings. As they say on Top Gear, how hard can it be?!!!!!
I may just have to build up my skills bit by bit before I start on that one.

First Name
Jim
I just thought my first two up in my head and did them. Now I watch a lot of documentaries, pause them and take photos of scenes that look like something to work from for the next.