I.D.F M113 Fitter

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lovely work indeed Mike.

ATB.

Andrew

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
Rather than add the light guards which would get knocked off or damaged I decided to go ahead and build the side lockers and as the front left is the chosen side I decided to make it out of metal sheet. So all measured out and bent to shape, then remembered the old old proverb, measure twice, cut once. It was supposed to be 9mm and not 10mm wide :sad: Dummy.....
20210301_152205.jpg
Bending taking shape...
20210301_152143.jpg
More bending - nearly there....
20210301_152105.jpg
There we are - now I will do the correct one..... Now which wall have I not banged my head against.....
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mike, so you're saying that was just a practice piece. It's rather good, hope the correct one is as good!:smiling3:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike, so you're saying that was just a practice piece. It's rather good, hope the correct one is as good!:smiling3:
No, this was going to be the original except it was 1mm too wide. Answer your phone....
Mike.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
May be slightly the wrong size but looks great as John says. Rather refreshing to know that even modellers of your calibre cock up like the rest of us :tongue-out3:
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No, this was going to be the original except it was 1mm too wide. Answer your phone....
Mike.
Give me time to find it and answer ! :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
More exceptional work on show Mike. Just had a catch up and am suitably impressed with the jig idea from a couple of pages back. Looks like it will be fun painting this lot though.....lots to knock off!

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
May be slightly the wrong size but looks great as John says. Rather refreshing to know that even modellers of your calibre cock up like the rest of us :tongue-out3:
Jim
I will not answer that as children (those under 60) can read this....

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
More exceptional work on show Mike. Just had a catch up and am suitably impressed with the jig idea from a couple of pages back. Looks like it will be fun painting this lot though.....lots to knock off!
I like your confidence in my ability to knock things off while painting - you have not seen my painting yet :flushed:....

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Beautiful work - perhaps one day (if I can muster the patience) I'll get close to being able to do work like you do.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Wow..as usual your level of details...is simply fantastic

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A superb piece of tinsmithing. I'd find a place for it somewhere. PaulE

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Many thanks to you all for commenting, as always - welcome.
Today carried on from the mistake of yesterday, here is the correct item just got the tie downs to add...
20210302_153937.jpg
And the mistake from yesterday laying in front.
20210302_153906.jpg
Also started work on the next stowage locker....
20210302_153919.jpg
More tomorrow.
Cheers,
Mike.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Aha, the reason for that "silly millimeter" is now evident, allowing the adjacent door to open w/o binding. Some excellent workmanship here. PaulE

Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Aha, the reason for that "silly millimeter" is now evident, allowing the adjacent door to open w/o binding. Some excellent workmanship here. PaulE
You got it Paul.

First Name
Carl
Having built a fitters vehicle some time ago, I had at the time obtained another kit of a different variant. This has sat in the store for all this time alongside the Zelda.

View attachment 411471

View attachment 411472
After getting the Chieftain ARV underway I needed something to fill in during the periods when that build grew a bit stagnant.
So out came several kits from AFV's to aircraft, and back they went, and out they came again, and again untill I finally settled on the old Academy I.D.F. M113 fitters vehicle.

View attachment 411473

First order of the day was to get out the research and this is well covered in the Desert Eagle Publishing book by Michael Mass & Adam O'Brien #9 Part 1 - Fitters.
View attachment 411474
And also Eduard came into the job with a couple of etch sets plus there is going to be some scratchbuilding.
After looking at the kit I decided to replace the floor with etch, first the moulded tread was removed, the sides sanded the interior sanded along with locating points being removed and yes - sanded.
To make the job easier I decided that the interior was going to be built/scratch and this means the hull top will be left off, and that I would work from rear to front, this also means I can work on the hull top without damage.
Number one on the build was the fuel tank. I rubbed down all the moulded detail, had a look at a couple of walk around web sites and gathered the information I needed for the tank/pipes and fittings. These were all made from rod, pewter sheet, copper wire and odds and sods.

View attachment 411475

View attachment 411476
As you can see there is still some pipe work still to be completed (the floor is removeable) before moving onto the tool box and ammunition box storage on the right side.
More later,
Mike.
Wow, amazing attention to detail. I know from bitter experience that the camera lens likes to emphasise any imperfections and I can’t see any so amazing job.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Wow, amazing attention to detail. I know from bitter experience that the camera lens likes to emphasise any imperfections and I can’t see any so amazing job.
Thank you
Mike