Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then. Start with the have too's
boxart.jpg
Fancied another Bare metal Aircraft for a while but not that many to choose from in the RAF. Saw this and then the GB got announced; It would have been rude not to, would it not.
20220901_140521.jpg
The sprues fresh out of the bag. Quite a lot of plastic as it happens. A closer look in a bit.
20220901_140532.jpg
As I said befor, the NMF is the version I will me attempting...
20220901_140557.jpg
Very nice Decal sheet. Thin carrier film. Lets hope they go down well. Those Blue and white checkers should be fun. Might end up paining those. That way the colour will match the spinner!
20220901_141032.jpg
The clear parts are just that. CLEAR. quite thin but very clear and bright! Wonder why there are three bubbles and two screens.... hmm.

20220901_140620.jpg
Clean crisp panel and rivet detail. As to the accuracy I will leave that to the experts, although I have not read bad reviews of it being wrong.

20220901_140626.jpg
Those nice big panels are begging to be oil-canned....

20220901_140645.jpg

20220901_140701.jpg
Hmm but sunken and raised rivets...

20220901_140725.jpg
Wonder if them holes are ment to be there....

20220901_140745.jpg20220901_140817.jpg
IP don't look bad, could paint that one a good day, otherwise theres a decal.... :smiling3:

20220901_140822.jpg
Even the seat ain't bad.

Might be a day or three befor I get into it.

A question or two.
Would the Interior been in British Interior green or American. same with the primed surfaces. GB Green or US yellow chromate.
Also the paint guide has some panels in Alu colour and some in 'silver' Is it safe to assume that the 'silver' was steel or some other metal...

Cheers
Ian M

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks very good Ian!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks a really good kit Ian. If the decals are like the Airfix ones in my Spitfire they will be a pleasure. As to colours, I would expect the interior to be standard US colours, yellow chromate in working areas, and US cockpit green in the cockpit. Good discussion here…mentions an “Apple green” as well.
As to the metal bits, it could be “Aluminium” is actual bare airframe metal and “silver” is painted to look like airframe metal……

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't want to be the "fly" in the ointment here.........but having worked in aviation for well over 40 years, I have literally painted hundreds of gallons of zinc chromate primer as well as it's replacement, FR primer (Fluid Resistant) and believe me when I say this..........no two batches are alike. I've seen it go from very bright yellow all the way down to a very dark olive green. If it looks good when you're done painting it.....mission accomplished. :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I don't want to be the "fly" in the ointment here.........but having worked in aviation for well over 40 years, I have literally painted hundreds of gallons of zinc chromate primer as well as it's replacement, FR primer (Fluid Resistant) and believe me when I say this..........no two batches are alike. I've seen it go from very bright yellow all the way down to a very dark olive green. If it looks good when you're done painting it.....mission accomplished. :thumb2:
Says that in the link I’ve posted Rick :thumb2: Apparently cockpit paint wasn’t a lot better either….

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Tim a very interesting read. Which backed up by Rick says that hidden away places. Yellow. Places that get seen a bit light green Cockpit darker green.
I have also learnt that ALL the American built aircraft in RAF service where lend-lease. So delivered to the UK in US (ANA) spec paint.
Camouflage , if any, being added after delivery.

As to the metal bits, it could be “Aluminium” is actual bare airframe metal and “silver” is painted to look like airframe metal……
The paint guild shows parts of the wing, both top and bottom some painted Aluminium others 'silver'. Could it just be some where polished up and others not so looked dull?

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
IIRC some parts are bare aluminium and some bits like leading edges are treated, I recall seeing a diagram a while back. How much this treatment effected the overall finish I do not know but mustn't have been by much judging by the modelling community.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The paint guild shows parts of the wing, both top and bottom some painted Aluminium others 'silver'. Could it just be some where polished up and others not so looked dull?
No idea I’m afraid Ian

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Instructions for mine show which areas are painted metallic silver and which are metal colour, ill put up a picture later it may be of some use to you.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Instructions for mine show which areas are painted metallic silver and which are metal colour, ill put up a picture later it may be of some use to you.
Mine show it as well. Just wondering if they're different metals or just different finishes..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mine show it as well. Just wondering if they're different metals or just different finishes..
Looking at Mark’s diagram Ian, most of the airframe is actually painted with silver paint rather than polished bare metal. I would then say that the painted areas would be shinier and brighter (literally like silver paint) than the bare metal areas. These would be a duller aluminium colour.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Looking at Mark’s diagram Ian, most of the airframe is actually painted with silver paint rather than polished bare metal. I would then say that the painted areas would be shinier and brighter (literally like silver paint) than the bare metal areas. These would be a duller aluminium colour.
Correct, after doing more reading today, airframe was actually filled and faired, primed zinc chromate then painted silver. So chipping from silver through zinc chromate then silver.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well its a good thing I am not building that one then ! LOL

If I'm going to have to paint the whole thing, I might as well do a camouflage version!
So All the panel lines and rivets need filling and sanding as well then.....
That ain't going to happen.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking at Mark’s diagram Ian, most of the airframe is actually painted with silver paint rather than polished bare metal.
I'm no expert but that is not quite correct. The wings Yes but not the whole airframe.
Found this which puts things nice and clear.
So for the sake of this discussion:
mustang finishing.jpg
Yes I knicked the picture from another forum. full credit to the Book and Author as shown in the picture.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well its a good thing I am not building that one then ! LOL

If I'm going to have to paint the whole thing, I might as well do a camouflage version!
So All the panel lines and rivets need filling and sanding as well then.....
That ain't going to happen.
It was only the leading edges of the wings that had the joints filled Ian , and only the wings that were painted ( plus the elevators and rudder) everything else was natural aluminium , not necessarily a polished one either . Very few had a shiny finish after a few months of service, just a bright aluminium colour . Dont forget most pics we see of nat metal mustangs are restored warbirds that have been buffed to within an inch of their lives . Cheers tony