Ian M' Mk.IV Mustang. Airfix 1/48.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Super shiny, brilliant stuff. I normally get to the shiny black bit and thing, 'how nice it looking now' might just stop here.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps. The fuselage was wet sanded with 6000g then carefully wiped dry.
My next move is to spray the painted part of the wings and the fuselage. When that's all cured that will be masked off and the bare metal parts sprayed.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not having worked with Alclad before......does it require thinning before spraying for base or top coat? Your finish looks dazzling....I would love to see a shot of it outdoors on a sunny day. :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not having worked with Alclad before......does it require thinning before spraying for base or top coat? Your finish looks dazzling....I would love to see a shot of it outdoors on a sunny day. :thumb2:
Alclad is ready to spray and is as thin as it can be. The primers are a bit thicker but can be sprayed direct, it can be thinned for very fine airbrushes.

When I have sprayed the metal finishing on the fuselage I will post some good photos, that last one above of the fuselage was only gloss black Rick. Besides that it's pitch black outside, blowing a gale and chucking it down
Down lol.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dammmn Ian.....that was so shiny I just thought it was in a bit of a shadow or the coverage was a little thin. So if you were to thin the Black Base, what thinner would you use? Oh, you might want to wait a bit before venturing out doors :smiling5: ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dammmn Ian.....that was so shiny I just thought it was in a bit of a shadow or the coverage was a little thin. So if you were to thin the Black Base, what thinner would you use? Oh, you might want to wait a bit before venturing out doors :smiling5: ;)
The gloss black base don't need thinning just the primer maybe a bit heavy for fines nozzles. Can be thinned with cellulose thinners.
The alclad finishes are water thin .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for the info Gents.....hopefully I won't get into trouble with this stuff. Because I work in such a small scale, I use a Paasche siphon feed dual action airbrush with the smallest needle they make....still gives a fairly large spray pattern for 1-87 size models.
The wingspan on this little beauty is only about 130 mm.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then.
As you can see the boring bits are painted and now masked off ready for the fun part. Alclad...
As there was a rash of small scratches and the such due to handling... Must try harder to remember gloves... the fuselage got a polish and clean and another quick black gloss coat of the Alclad gloss base. This will now be allowed to cure fully befor I get the Alclad Airframe Aluminium out. and maybe a few other choice tones of metal...
Any way here is the Dooleybird all masked up and nice and shiny black.
20220912_100410.jpg20220912_100427.jpg20220912_100432.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Ian, is the sanding a required step in the Alclad process or something extra you do to get a smoother finish? Looks good so far. :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian, is the sanding a required step in the Alclad process or something extra you do to get a smoother finish? Looks good so far. :thumb2:
The heart of a good gloss on anything is a smooth base. With Alclad it is VERY important. The slightest mark will show through. A scratch in the plastic, heck even a finger print on the dry base coat will show on the Alclad finish.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ha! Sprayed it in Alclad II. Airframe Aluminium a few bits in Stainless and a couple in Airframe with a tiny drop of black base. Oh yes Alclads can be mixed!
Here are a couple of shots after the Alclad and befor a clear coat.
Found it amusing that the wings where painted and the flaps bare metal but the vertical stab it's the other way round the 'wing' part is bare betal and the flappy bit painted... (Its cloth covered).
20220913_110723.jpg
The dull bit behind the slats in the nose are a feeble attempt to make it look 'abused' a bit. lol
Blindingly obvious is the fact that I painted the Checkers on the nose, to match the blue. FAIL. lol. I think that this will get painted over white and the decal used. The Colour is quite close...
The real sharp of eye will see I went for the blue version. If the Guy that flew it meant it was blue, who am I to argue.
20220913_110805.jpg
And the other side...

At the moment the varnish is drying. Funny story.
I sprayed the thing with Vallejo gloss varnish as that is what I have and I know it will kill the high shine a bit but what is a chap supposed to do...
All done with the Alclad, I put them back in the draw...There hidden at the back an almost full bottle of Alclad clear varnish. lol
Once the Vallejo has hardened off and I dare to touch it, I will take a photo to compare the finish...
Then sort out them there squares!

Comments welcome as always...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That turned out really nice Ian.....and the reason for a drop of black was......?

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
You're flying along with this, I'm breaking out the alclad for the 1st time on mine so it's nice to see them used again.
Just one question, the antiglare panels, can they be painted over the alclad easily enough? IE do they take other paints well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You're flying along with this, I'm breaking out the alclad for the 1st time on mine so it's nice to see them used again.
Just one question, the antiglare panels, can they be painted over the alclad easily enough? IE do they take other paints well.
Sorry Karl. I was sure I had posted a reply to this!
Alclad is quite fragile (I find). Some will Varnish it and paint it over. I normally leave any Alclad word to last if possible.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just a quick up-date. I have not forgotten the build. just been a bit up in the air for a couple of weeks. Now to top it off I have my usual autumn cold. Get it every year without fail! So I am totally full of snot, anti contestants and Panodil!
Once I am more alive I will do the last few bits that need attention and post in the completed section.