Ian M's HMS HOOD. Trumpeter 1/200

F

Fenlander

Excellent progress Ian. I was hoping to finish off the Triumph today so I could give Bizzy a bit more attention but I have fallen to the dreaded man flu so will be out of action for today at least :confused:

First Name
Stuart
Wow you are flying along with this monster kit.
Great start Ian,looking good mate

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well You all may think I am steaming along with this but most of the parts so far have been large one piece mouldings. Now the smaller bits are coming into play
and trust me it is slowing down!
DSC_0537.JPG
Another single moulded part. 'nice thick plastic' which is actually a pain in the bum. Seriously did it need to be almost three mm thick.
It does make it rather hard to do this:
DSC_0536.JPG
The six windows I have opened up is the result of a good hours slog with pin vice drill and scalpel. Talk about sore fingers. My main worry is that the thickness of the plastic and the thin window posts are going to spell trouble!
DSC_0540.JPG
36 lockers. each two parts. cut, sanded, glued and primed
DSC_0541.JPG
Some of the structures are also primed.
DSC_0542.JPG
The steel section of the boat deck has gotten a coat of dark grey MS4 I think it was. Tomorrow the planked end will get a coat of teak, then maybe a wash or two to vary the colour and pick the detail out a bit. Then its fun with masking tape masking all the vents, hatches and shields that are moulded on the deck.
DSC_0543.JPG

Right now my fingers need a rest before I continue the cutting out of windows!

F

Fenlander

Very nice. The trouble with the larger scales is the need to do things like cutting out windows which you may have got away with on a smaller scale.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it seemed like a good idea at the time. Then once you have drilled the port holes you see all the square windows.....Bugger!
Any way this is the result of a day at the bench, on and off.DSC_0544.JPG DSC_0545.JPG DSC_0546.JPG DSC_0547.JPG
The sharp eyed amongst you will have seen that the upper most rows of windows at the top of both parts are done differently. I have a slight mis-hap with a new scalpel blade and ran it through four of the frames. (and stabbed it in my thumb!) So I took a razor saw to them and cut the whole section out and glued in evergreen strip to make the windows....Hopefully this is the last of the windows!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along nicely Ian,;)

First Name
Gregg
A hell of a lot of work, but what a difference it makes.

G

Graham D

I agree it makes a big difference having the windows cut out. What are you using to glaze them?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up Ian, and what a lot of work your putting into this. I'm liking what you've done so far, but have I got all this to look forward to when I start my Tirpitz ?
I think I may just put it back into the stash. :sad::smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What are you using to glaze them?
I am using micro scale krystal Klear . Just s drop on a cocktail stick then run it around the hole and it will fill the hole and dry to a clear film. The best bit is that you can do it after painting. Great for jobs like this I have managed to do a window that was 6x10mm with it but bigger than that then the surface tension cant hold it any longer and it pops.
have I got all this to look forward to when I start my Tirpitz ?
That is no way to think Ian! I'm only doing all the window malarkey due to the scale (and because I want to, OK I'm mad). So get on and open the thread and get on with it. Graham and I are getting lonely in her with only Russel. Where are all the others....? early days yet.

F

Fenlander

Just caught up Ian, and what a lot of work your putting into this. I'm liking what you've done so far, but have I got all this to look forward to when I start my Tirpitz ?

No need to do this on Tirpitz Ian. I am not even drilling out portholes at 1/350 as a dark pin wash will make them pop enough. As for changing stuff for accuracy, again at 1/200 it is not only possible but well worth it. Just build and paint Tirpitz straight out the box and you will have an impressive model believe me..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Had an early start today as I find that the weekend has been booked for "domestic service"...'Baby sitting' the brother in law's friend that has just moved to Denmark from Columbia (Nope I have no idea why either). She speaks Spanish or English so we drew the short straw... Nah it will be fun actually.
Any way....I noticed on one of the photos that I was a window post short, It must have either been forgotten or fell off. So I go into the cave to put it right.
Half an hour later...
DSC_0548.JPG DSC_0549.JPG
DSC_0550.JPG
I had got the starfish sorted. It was actually not as bad as I had feared it would be and went together well. Which is good as there is NO plastic part only the PE!
DSC_0551.JPG
That funny little box at the rear of the Director was not on the plan! So that got the chop. So while waiting for glue to dry I got stuck in to the antennae for it. Much folding and cursing later (I folded one part the wrong way and when PE has been folded..... well thats that. So not having the locating guide, I had to take my best guess at where it should be stuck...
DSC_0552.JPG DSC_0553.JPG DSC_0554.JPG
And here we have the more or less finished director. There are a few ladders here and there that need to go on. Here you can also see the corrected top for the raised section of the roof.
Now for some lunch and run to the shops. (In the car.... you seriously didn't think I was going to run. LOL)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow! great stuff Ian

If I ever post that I'm thinking about something like this I'm depending on my fellow forum members to advise me to have a word with myself, and refer me to this thread :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve