Ian M's HMS HOOD. Trumpeter 1/200

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up Ian, and what a lot of work your putting into this. I'm liking what you've done so far, but have I got all this to look forward to when I start my Tirpitz ?
I think I may just put it back into the stash. :sad::smiling3:
I was only kidding

D

Deleted member 3568

Youve done a great job with that pew ee (i hate the stuff) good luck with the rest.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If I ever post that I'm thinking about something like this I'm depending on my fellow forum members to advise me to have a word with myself, and refer me to this thread :smiling3:
Sounds like a challenge Steve. I bet that you could do just as good if not better. Go on you know you want to....

T

Trekkie_John

Nice work Ian, that photo etch is impressive. Glad i only work with little stuff lol.

Have fun, John

B

Builder

Very impressed with the amount and quality of effort your putting into this build Ian.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No pictures today so you will have to read instead! lol
Been painting the decks. Lots of decks. The 'wood' decks, the metal decks the lino, sorry corticene decks. So they are hardening off til tomorrow. Then Its mask the decks off and do all the moulded details and shields and such.
The Wood decks: Painted them with colour coats' teak and today they got a good couple of coats of Klear. Yes I have floor polish! Just finished washing the decks with an oil wash in Burnt Umber, I think it was... any way once it had had time to fix a bit, the process of painting it OFF could begin. In a day or two, more klear then a wash of payens grey to get rid of the brownness. ...?!

A ha! today I learnt that yet another thing is really wrong with this kit. The funnels are different sizes. They should be the same. What could I do? I could buy another sprue to get the same size again. am I going to do it? Nope. I recon that this ship has had more than its fair share of surgery. I also read that the HOOD is the best of the bunch from Trumpeter in their 1/200 kits. So now I am wondering; How bad are the others then!?!?!?

J

John Rixon

I'd love to build something at this scale, but wouldn't want the end product as much as one should, considering the price and time invested! Interesting conundrum!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'd love to build something at this scale, but wouldn't want the end product as much as one should, considering the price and time invested! Interesting conundrum!
My only reason for doing this is due to my grandfarther on my mothers side was a crewman on the Hood. Befor the ship went down I hasten to add.
Right then.
Here are some pictures of the decking. First the planked areas:
DSC_0555.JPG DSC_0556.JPG DSC_0557.JPG DSC_0558.JPG
All rather grubby and a tad brown at the moment. Waiting for the klear to dry then they will get a grey wash to kill the brown a bit.
DSC_0559.JPG DSC_0560.JPG
Having sprayed all these in Corticene colour, i found that the upper decks should have been painted metal. So they got resprayed in MS4.
DSC_0561.JPG
Ready lockers ready to be mounted once the decks are sorted.

So now we come to todays first 90 odd minuets of fun:
DSC_0562.JPG
18 binocular mounts, each one three parts, one plastic and two PE. My eyes are in need of a break.
Maybe a bit more later...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Started to mount some of the smaller parts up for priming. Found that the decks where ready for the next coat. Much more fun.
DSC_0563.JPG
These are the paints I have used. I might have written Burnt Umber earlier, but it is in fact Raw Umber. Quite a difference. Paynes Grey both from Winsor and Newton.
After ten minutes the deck had gone from a rather brown looking effect to this:
DSC_0564.JPG
Here at the stern not quite so dirty. While at the pointy end n the other hand:
DSC_0565.JPG
Much more dirt and dust. Needs a very careful touch of powder pigments to simulate all the rust from the anchor cables (chains). Also a few dabs with the good old HB pencil to brighten the edges of the metal that would have taken a bashing as the chain crashed along the plates and into the chutes.!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
DSC_0566.JPG DSC_0567.JPG
I will never moan about masking an aircraft canopy again. Heads up! Masking tape does not like to stick to oil paint washes!!!
Had enough of that for today!

DSC_0568.JPG
I actually thought that I had finished a bit. Then i turned it round and saw that I missed one face of the bleeding observation decks shielding!!! Grrrrrr

B

Builder

There is so much work going on here, Im beginning to think I need to buy and start a kit a lot earlier than I had initially planned (in the second half of the year). Good job on the deck with all that masking going on.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good Ian. The decks look excellent already and with the continuing work will be very lifelike.
With regards to the funnels: I'd probably cast them from the one correct size. My Bismarck build is some years off yet but I'm expecting plenty of work. There's already some stunning builds to inspire and I expect many more in the interim.
All this great build work is really frustrating me as I won't be building for a while now (moving home grrr!)
Keep up the great work Ian I'm building my Bismarck vicariously through you and Graham!

Cheers
P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just for a bit of fun:
Dear Mr. Trumpeter.
I am currently building your rather large model of HMS Hood. I will leave the reasons why you chose to ignore offers of help from the Hood Association, the same advice that you took most willingly for your renditions of the Hood in other scales. It would save people like me a whole heap of time, scalpel blades and stick plasters.
An other thing that I am having serious trouble considering is why you in your wisdom chose to have half of the fittings on the deck moulded onto the deck and the other half as loose parts that are to be placed on the deck afterwards. I am well aware that the parts that need to be added have much more detail and many are made of several parts. However. If we take a look at the boat deck. or as you call it up deck, there are wooden planked sections and steel plate sections. Both of which are peppered with hatches, stair way openings and the like. So. We paint the planks, paint the steel decking and then have to use two (so far) rolls of masking tape to mask said decks off so as to be able to paint the aforementioned sticky up bits.
Why could you not have just given us a nice flat deck which we could then paint with ease and there after add all the sticky up bits as and when we get to that bit.
Not only would this have made the parts count impressively high, which most modellers love as much as you manufacturers do. (thus not needing to over engineer things just to bump the parts count up). It would have given the builder, and indeed yourselves ample chances to correct all the incorrect shields and the like and made the after market guys really glad as people would not need to butcher the kit to add the PE replacements. Or as I did make the parts from plastic sheet.
The agony of all this is two days to mask off the deck detail so we can paint the darn thing, then maximum halv an hour to paint then an hour or two to peel it all off again. Then IF we are lucky, the masking does not pull the paint up. (That is always an exciting part. Its like Christmas every time. Did you get the kit you wanted or more bloody socks).
Still I am enjoying the challenge and as I have to wait for paint to be sent over, I have a bit of time on my hands.
While I have you. What do you say to doing the Ark Royal in the same scale? You know you want to.
An alternative could be Do the next big ship in a scale that every one can understand. I challenge you to be the first to do a WWII battleship in 1/72 scale. I was going to write 1/35, but then that would be just daft. However 1/48 id becoming a very popular scale these days as it covers both aircraft and Military. So Mr. T what about that. A 1/48 Ark Royal. You could even do it as a part work selling the parts in sections.
This would also mean that you will have to do models of all the aircraft and service vehicles as well..... Better scratch that idea. My bad.

Yours cordially.

As you might have guessed the two days of masking have driven me totally round the bend.
I almost considered saying bugger it and buying a couple of paint brushes and hand painting the darn thing.......LOL