Ian M's Spitfire Mk II. Revell 1/32.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got the canopy glazing sorted yesterday and stuck in place. Took a chance and put all the knock off bits; antennae and pilot tube in place. Sprayed the prop tips yellow too!
Today I masked the tip off and sprayed the prop black. Must have over thinned the paint. A first for me, Black paint that did not cover! I went to take the masking of the tips and could clearly see through the black to the Yellow under it. sigh!
I got the undersides primed with Black styrylrez primer. I'll do the top side tomorrow.

20220611_110622.jpg
Not the best picture but good enough for you to get the idea.
Good weekend to you all.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
Looks good. Shame about the wing root step. Cockpit is nice and your seat belts certainly look the part. I've done the same with black paint and had to re-mask and repaint. I think you imagine black covers all so a bit of extra thinner will be fine :rolling:
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on nicely Ian despite the problems.

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looks great Ian,I think those seatbelts hang very realistically :smiling3:
Quick question if I may,that stand in the last pic that the wings are supported by..... Did you make it yourself or buy it?.... Not being a normal plane builder I've not seen any before,looks very useful :smiling3:
Cheers,
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Ian,I think those seatbelts hang very realistically :smiling3:
Quick question if I may,that stand in the last pic that the wings are supported by..... Did you make it yourself or buy it?.... Not being a normal plane builder I've not seen any before,looks very useful :smiling3:
Cheers,
Andy
Good question Andy. The bottom looks like Tamiya, but the rest doesn’t?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It IS Tamiya…….the right hand attachment, design for car bodies I think…..never taken mine out of the box! Used the other one quite a lot though.
DFD34DF9-DAA5-48BA-B749-D16471FAD4A4.jpeg
Is that pipe insulation you’ve added to it Ian?

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Coming on nicely Ian :thumb2:

Well done remembering the gunsight, something I often forget too :rolling:

Geoff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It IS Tamiya…….the right hand attachment, design for car bodies I think…..never taken mine out of the box! Used the other one quite a lot though.
View attachment 455269
Is that pipe insulation you’ve added to it Ian?
We have a winner.
The best bit about house repairs is the odd bits of junk left over. The only thing to watch out for is the real soft black pipe insulation.
It's not to keen on some paints. Not that it dissolves but it does stick rather well... ask me how I know.

Seat belt is foil from Swann ans Morton blades packing.

Cheers

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Coming on nicely Ian.

I recognised the Tamiya paint stand but I'm intrigued by that angle mejurin' doohickey. What's it used for? A little more than 'mejurin' angles' would be nice! :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If ýou mean the odd thing in the corner on the windowsill, that is an old letter weighing scales.
Coming on nicely Ian.

I recognised the Tamiya paint stand but I'm intrigued by that angle mejurin' doohickey. What's it used for? A little more than 'mejurin' angles' would be nice! :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on nicely Ian.

I missed that…..too busy looking at the stands LOL. It is a weighing scale isn’t it? Possibly it original use was letter weighing in a post office?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If ýou mean the odd thing in the corner on the windowsill, that is an old letter weighing scales.

OK. Makes sense now! Hadn't realised the extra arms and pan were part of it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Possibly it original use was letter weighing in a post office?
Indeed and private homes in DK had them as well. Not that they get used for the intended purpose these days. Either just an ornament or used for the sale of dubious substances.
I use mine for mixes by weight and nose weights and all that. Oh and the odd letter/card here and there. lol

Right then;
Did a bit of preshade work on the build.
20220614_095331.jpg20220614_095339.jpg20220614_095355.jpg
Whilst that cures off. I will think over the markings. Paint or decals... Hmm. Codes and serials most defo decals, might paint the rondels though Those bulges on the wing right where the decal sits are a pain to decal over. Well in this scale.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely Ian!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice pre shade work. I find that works great on the sky underside but works less well on the dark green and dark earth top shades. Usually end up having to lighten each panel to show it off LOL….

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Late in on this one Ian and it looks like you're almost finished here. Wonderful work so far and it appears retirement has kicked the Mojo sky high!!!

I too noticed the old scale and then went looking out your window to see what was growing there......Hmmm.......You're ok!

Prost
Allen