Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming on very nicely Ian!
Thanks Andrew!

Love the look of the Pre-shading Ian.
Cheers Ian!

Late in on this one Ian and it looks like you're almost finished here. Wonderful work so far and it appears retirement has kicked the Mojo sky high!!!

I too noticed the old scale and then went looking out your window to see what was growing there......Hmmm.......You're ok!

Prost
Allen
Thank you
You haven't seen the green house. lol

Meh. I think I could have should have given it a bit more humph. Even though the paint used is white, it is rather grey due to the thinness of it...
When the Sky went down it is very close to gone... or is it. It's one of them there the more you look the less you see it kind of things.
20220614_115354.jpg
Looking for a bit further it's not bad at all.
20220614_115431.jpg
Move in close and it can hardly be seen. Most odd.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew!

Cheers Ian!

Thank you
You haven't seen the green house. lol

Meh. I think I could have should have given it a bit more humph. Even though the paint used is white, it is rather grey due to the thinness of it...
When the Sky went down it is very close to gone... or is it. It's one of them there the more you look the less you see it kind of things.
View attachment 455469
Looking for a bit further it's not bad at all.
View attachment 455470
Move in close and it can hardly be seen. Most odd.
Ian

As you say, interesting how it disappears the cost it gets and I'm sure there's a scientific reason for it but whatever the reason I think it looks pretty good in the 'distant' shot.

I'm about to give my 1/72 109s the same treatment.... Only done it once before so will be taking it slowly.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
It does look very nice Ian. I'm sort of stuck with the next build whether to pre shade or I've seen someone us marbling on their model. So many techniques

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
What might that be? the big F-16? Only one way to paint that beauty.
Yep that's being started with a break for the mosquito. Quite daunting actually, the last 1/32 I did as a test was a Vought Corsair which was just blue :smiling5: :smiling5:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Anyhow... finished in the green house for today,
Got the underside's edge masked off and the fuselage band and threw some RAF dark earth paint at it.
In the first instance its a free hand that covers what it needs where it needs to.
20220615_095633.jpg20220615_095656.jpg
20220615_095644.jpg
You can just about see the post shade through the colour. This is why I did not just paint the whole thing brown, then do the green bits.
The fun part will be to mask off the Brown and spray the RAF Dark Green.
Just had a look in the draw and I have 0, zero, zip, none, nada, ingenting, ikke nogen, mask patterns for a 1/32 spitfire. Have a shhhhhhhhhh...shed load in 1/48.
Mark I eyeball it is then!
Grrr

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like a job for blue tack sausages Ian…..

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Ian.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A proper Spitfire, in temperate camouflage, very nice. I suspect most of us started here, well at least in 1:72.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fun with White tac. No blue tac here and the white stuff leaves no marks.
Not a method I use that much. So a few touch ups will be needed.
20220616_095811.jpg
The rolls are a bit thick but It is what it is. Started to fill the gaps with tap.... Found an old note pad and used that instead, much cheaper than the good tape.
20220616_105430.jpg
Takes awhile this masking but we got there in the end.
20220616_105535.jpg
Now for the fun part.
20220616_114855.jpg
Ta-daaaa! As mentioned at the start of this post, there are a few touch ups needed where the tac has not been right over the brown and masked some of the black! Bummer! Hopefully a local mask just held in place should sort them. If they are indeed visible after the markings go on...?
Model Air. Hmm The Dark green was a lot more translucent than expected and actually took a few passes to get the cover.
I'll leave you with this teaser and post some more when the touch ups are sorted.
Then its on to the markings....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Top job Ian!!! Looks good to me....You said white tac leaves no marks, so does that mean blu tac does? It's all I've got to use for the Mossie GB....

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
so does that mean blu tac does?
I have heard that if left to long it can. But Never tried it. As I can only get the white stuff here in DK. Commonly called elephant snot here, No Idea what it's called in Germany though.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on very nicely Ian. Looking very good indeed!!!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Ian. I'll have a look around at the show in 2 weeks and see what's available. I don't really know what's it called here, but elephant snot is one I've never heard of.......

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Top job Ian!!! Looks good to me....You said white tac leaves no marks, so does that mean blu tac does? It's all I've got to use for the Mossie GB....

Prost
Allen
Not had that issue myself Allen, but would recommend not leaving it on too long. Overnight would be fine. Blue tack seems to be reusable forever though so perhaps that’s why I don’t get problems, mine has no oil left LOL….

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not had that issue myself Allen, but would recommend not leaving it on too long. Overnight would be fine. Blue tack seems to be reusable forever though so perhaps that’s why I don’t get problems, mine has no oil left LOL….
Allen. You find it in stationary shops, art shops. places that sell posters often have it as well. It is made for hanging photos or posters up. I don't think modelshops carry it. THey probably have something like it that costs 10 times as much and lasts a tenth of the time!
I think I have had mine going on 7 years and still works. Amongst other things I use it for holding small flat parts on ice lolly sticks to spray them, also good fo masking lights on things with, Make a ball press in place. round mask!