SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok, I was on the wrong track there. I'll have a look in the arts and crafts stores then. We have a few of those here. I use my blu tack on sticks for holding all my small parts too. Works a charm....Thanks again Ian......

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
. …..I don't think modelshops carry it. THey probably have something like it that costs 10 times as much and lasts a tenth of the time……..
Sounds like you are describing “Panzer putty” to me Ian. Made by MiG but only around five times the price :tongue-out3: . For those that may think panzer putty is significantly better, try “silly putty” or “science putty”. They are the same thing for around a third of the MiG price. I’ve got some, but keep mislaying it so haven’t actually tried it yet LOL….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ok, I was on the wrong track there. I'll have a look in the arts and crafts stores then. We have a few of those here. I use my blu tack on sticks for holding all my small parts too. Works a charm....Thanks again Ian......

Prost
Allen
Blue tack is the most used tool on my modelling bench….

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then.
Time to start playing silly beggars.
20220617_134725.jpg
Bit the bullet and will have a go at the rondels in paint. Step one cut some masks. Then get them in place.
The plastic film is sticky, the tape is just to catch the overspray. (he said hopefully)..
The film use is Frisk film which can be gotten from art supply stores and the like.

20220617_141058.jpg
Once all the masks where in place I mixed up some white and started to work around the aircraft, many light coats being the order of the day, it was mist one then on to the next and so on until a good coverage was obtained. The White is on the wing top rondels purely to get the same colour red and blue.
Which if you want to know is Vallejo Model Air. Fire red and Dark Mediterranean blue are very good matches. The Yellow band on the fuselage rondel is RLM Yellow! lol. Very close to trainer yellow used by the RAF.
20220617_141117.jpg
So once this lot has dried I can put the masks over the white and do the next colour...Yellow, then the Blue then the Red.

Comments welcome as always.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good luck with them Ian. Preparation looks good.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Which if you want to know is Vallejo Model Air. Fire red and Dark Mediterranean blue are very good matches. The Yellow band on the fuselage rondel is RLM Yellow! lol. Very close to trainer yellow used by the RAF.
Ian

What can I say but your timing on this point can only be described as impeccable!!!

I knew RLM 04 was a good match for trainer yellow...... But having recently acquired some marking masks for my Whitley I have been struggling to find the right colour match in Model Air. Bookmarked for future use!!

Keep up the good work on the build.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps.
@adt70hk Andrew, the red is good but it will need an undercoat of something darker than white, I have just discovered.

Photos later, right now having a coffee and a sulk while I mull things over.
It would seem that I was a bit impatient today and might have steamed ahead a bit to quickly. Hmm

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cheers chaps.
@adt70hk Andrew, the red is good but it will need an undercoat of something darker than white, I have just discovered.

Photos later, right now having a coffee and a sulk while I mull things over.
It would seem that I was a bit impatient today and might have steamed ahead a bit to quickly. Hmm
Thanks Ian.....I hope it's not too bad over white....

Do you think a mid-ish grey will be enough or will it need black? Actually thinking about it black week probably be too dark...

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Ian.....I hope it's not too bad over white....

Do you think a mid-ish grey will be enough or will it need black? Actually thinking about it black week probably be too dark...

ATB.

Andrew
Personally I’d go with something like an equivalent to Vallejo model colour red leather or cavalry brown as an under shade. For a darker red use hull red as an under shade. They cover well, and are what I use on the little blokes when painting red. Reds are notoriously transparent and if you use grey it could turn purple. You would need many coats to cover black…..not something I’d like to try :worried:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Personally I’d go with something like an equivalent to Vallejo model colour red leather or cavalry brown as an under shade. For a darker red use hull red as an under shade. They cover well, and are what I use on the little blokes when painting red. Reds are notoriously transparent and if you use grey it could turn purple. You would need many coats to cover black…..not something I’d like to try :worried:
I was going to suggest much the same Tim.
I will have a look at the result tomorrow. But I am glad that I have the decals still.

I will not hang my head with the appropriate amount of shame at my frankly unthinking ideas..... My excuse is that I'd just got home from work and hadn't wound down properly...:unamused:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I will not hang my head with the appropriate amount of shame at my frankly unthinking ideas..... My excuse is that I'd just got home from work and hadn't wound down properly...:unamused:
Nothing to apologise for……I only know this because I did it on a BR parcels van back in the day. BR 1950s coach livery is called Blood and Custard, basically carmine red and cream. I had one that was more like plums and custard LOL…..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well one step forward two steps back as the saying goes.

20220620_135008.jpg
I tried to touch things up a bit today... Meh. looked even worse. Out came the wet and dry...
20220620_141701.jpg
Now it's just wait for it to dry out.
20220620_141721.jpg
Cut my losses and start bu respraying the camouflage.. Oh and gluing the Aileron back on. Again!
Surprised that I only knocked the Pilot tube of when masking up for the rondels, normally, for me the first thing to go...Then the rear view then the antenna attachment atop the Vertical stabiliser.. lol

20220620_141730.jpg
Glad that I used Stynylrez primer. So much better at sanding back without ripping up.
I guess tomorrow will see the camou and underside get redone. then DECALS will go down.

My take on what happened:
I was to impatient. Was using a paint I am not to used to. Vallejo Model Air is new to me. More used to their Model colour range. However the colour matches are better in the Air series. My Normal go to film for masking, frisk film, seemed to stick much better to the paint than it does normally. AND it left marks on the surface. Which it has never done befor.

So next time I will either just grab the Sovereign hobbies enamels or the xtracrylix Acrylics for anything that is getting maskes. OR just use Tamiya tape!

Later then.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian,

Sorry to hear and see about the problems. Hope you manage to fix it ok.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Shame about that Ian. Sure you’ll sort it out though. I’ve had some Frisk film for years and never used it…..and you’ve just put me off it for good :disappointed: Tamiya kabuki tape does come in sheets by the way….might be a better alternative that just their narrow tape.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So a step forward again. Let's see how this try turns out.
Didn't bother with masking, just went for it... Well it is nearly all under the markings...
Looks a bit patchy but will wait to see how it is when 100% cured and had a bit of clear coat over it.
I’ve had some Frisk film for years and never used it…..and you’ve just put me off it for good
I wouldn't dis it just because of this Tim. Been using it on and off for years and this is the first time ever it has done this. I put it down to my own foolhardiness. I dont think the paint was 100% ready when I masked over it.
I will have a look at finding the sheets of Kabuki masking though.
Most of my builds are 1/48 aircraft or 1/35 armour and normally the 50mm tape is wide enough for most things.

20220621_105706.jpg20220621_105713.jpg20220621_105722.jpg

Well it looks like I have gotten rid of any paint edges and can hopefully move on with this.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well saved Ian. That's come out nicely.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Said you’d sort it out didn’t I ;) The real reason I haven’t used my frisk film is that I’ve never really needed to Ian. Most of what I’ve done over the last few years has been small figures, so I don’t need to mask.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just caught on on this Ian.....
Looking great after the camo trauma,(Superb repair job there BTW :thumb2: ),
Lovely stuff:cool:,
Andy