Ian M's Spitfire Vb Tropical

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Cheers Steve I'll have a look at that link.Dave I know where you are coming from. I just could not get my head around the fact that they made it in clear plastic AND made the holes. It just struck me as odd.

Nice IP by the way.

Ian M
Wish it was mine Ian, but it's from this build: http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=132371&ord=&page=1

This is the one Steve (Stona) pointed out and there's loads of good stuff for me.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You'll have to do better than Nige. It took him about eight years to finish that one (well, nearly two really, it felt like eight) :smiling3:

I did walk into a model show (one of the very few I've been to) with Nigel and the completed kit and heard someone mumble to his mate "there goes the large scale plane winner". Nigel hadn't even entered it yet!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And the madness sets in:

View attachment 96157

View attachment 96158

View attachment 96159

Started to tart up the office a bit. for some reason regardless of turning the photos before uploading them, they still show the wrong way. What ever.

It looks a mess at the moment, but a bit of paint can do wonders...

Had to move the pedals forward, as the were hard up against the IP bulkhead...

Had to cut it short today. I knocked over a 2/3 full pot of liquid poly.... despite having doors and windows open for ages. My eyes are watering to much to see. lol

Fortunately, it only destroyed some bits and bobs of plastic profiles and card and none on the kit its self.

Ian M

IMAG1904.jpg

IMAG1902.jpg

IMAG1903.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would just like to say this: MY SEAT DONT FIT !!!

I am at present pulling my hair out! I have brought a "proper" seat from Grey Matter models and it fits neither their mount or the kit one. SOOO I'm at present trying to cut up the kit mount to get the damb thing to fit!!

It still pongs of glue in the room!!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ian, where did you find those figures? I've been looking everywhere for some 1/24 figures to no avail.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got the pilot from my P47 Steve .... he's vinyl but looks to be pretty good. Send me a PM if you're interested.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I got the pilot from my P47 Steve .... he's vinyl but looks to be pretty good. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Thanks Dave, I've got a pilot which I was planning to use, but might not. I was interested in the standing figures Ian posted at the beginning of the thread.

Sorry for any confusion :smiling3:

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi Ian, where did you find those figures? I've been looking everywhere for some 1/24 figures to no avail.
They was in the box Steve. You want one? PM me and I'll pop on in the post to you.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
While the wind has been doing its best to take the roof off, I have been hiding in the cave and "playing".

View attachment 96454

These landed in the post box today, I am really going to enjoy those. lol
View attachment 96455

Fish-tails painted, just need a bit of weathering...
View attachment 96456

Seat painted along with the IP.
View attachment 96457

They give you both props and spinners, now which one was it I needed...
View attachment 96458

Got the office painted and just needs the used look added.
So far the fit has been rather good. and a test fit gives a very good join on the fuselage halves.

Ian M

IMAG1905.jpg

IMAG1906.jpg

IMAG1908.jpg

IMAG1909.jpg

IMAG1910.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good. The landing gear control is one thing I won't have to worry about on my version!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
While the wind has been doing its best to take the roof off, I have been hiding in the cave and "playing".View attachment 97803 These landed in the post box today, I am really going to enjoy those. lol

View attachment 97804 Fish-tails painted, just need a bit of weathering...

View attachment 97805 Seat painted along with the IP.

View attachment 97806 They give you both props and spinners, now which one was it I needed...

View attachment 97807 Got the office painted and just needs the used look added.

So far the fit has been rather good. and a test fit gives a very good join on the fuselage halves.

Ian M
Nice cockpit.All that equipment on the R/H cockpit sidewall apart from the landing gear lever is not included in the Airfix kit.Im going to have to make most of it.My seat doesn't have the back rest padding either.Might have a go at making it from Milliput.You will have fun with the paper harness.I tried assembling a 1/48 one but messed it up.I should have ignored the instructions that said to screw the harness into a ball before threading the buckles on.Good luck with yours.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having used an hour putting the harness together, I noticed its a QK... Do you thing I was miffed!

Oh well. Only I will know.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The QK was introduced in 1943. You don't need the wires going back through the fuselage to frame 15 for the QK, but it and the earlier harness (just Sutton or F or L type...who knows?) are essentially the same thing.

Just fit yours with wires going back either side of the antenna support into the fuselage and who'll know!

Don't forget the little wire running up to the brace between the two frames behind the pilot which stopped the harness pulling through the seat and falling down the back!

Fitting the QK was conditional on a strengthened seat as it now attached to the seat frame.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Steve. I will as you point out run the double wire.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Don't forget this one!

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Steve I see you are a Spitfiresite user as well :smiling3:

I was thinking of scratching the mast support frames as well but chickened out.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
The voltage regulator on the back of the headrest is missing from the Airfix kit as well.Theyve moulded it as another headrest!.Is it included in the Trumpeter kit Ian?.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
The voltage regulator on the back of the headrest is missing from the Airfix kit as well.Theyve moulded it as another headrest!.Is it included in the Trumpeter kit Ian?.
Well yes it is Dave. And it is the same as your'ne. lol

We'll just have to say that ours are converted MkI's

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator: