IS3

W

Weeman0000

Another one just finished, Cant really go wrong with Russian builds. 1, paint green. 2, add rust. 3 throw it in mud. 4 win!

First time using tamiya weathering stick, altho im not sure it was needed, wax + pigment would do just as well imo but it turned out fine which is the main goal.

IMG_20160327_142711.jpg

IMG_20160327_142744.jpg

IMG_20160327_142810.jpg

IMG_20160327_142838.jpg

IMG_20160327_142923.jpg

IMG_20160327_143001.jpg

IMG_20160327_143040.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I real like this as is, ;)

if any think at all maybe some dust,dirt,wash over the decals,just to get the shine off them,where you can see,

is the only thing that I can pick with it,

very well done,and its turned out very nice,good job, :smiling3:

what did you use for the dirt/mud, ? plz,

First Name
Robert
A very nice looking brute and Russian too ( oops Minica will be spying on this if sage hasn't already

Nice use of colours and weathering......... I would have liked to see more mud and dirt on it but it looks very nice

Regards

Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice, nothing to improve it really looks superb as is.

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
if any think at all maybe some dust,dirt,wash over the decals,just to get the shine off them,where you can see. - what did you use for the dirt/mud, ? plz,
I'm sure its the decals, they seem too shiny, in fact the two red stars have cracked if you look really close. I'm going to put it down to bad or old decals that came with the kit, i tried with the numbers aswell but they are in an odd location where there's not really a source for dirt, dust and or rust to streak over. Good kit, bad decals.

Tamiya weathering stick (mud) and about 5 pigment mix for the dirt its self, green, brown, black, rust and dust. And some leftover "dirt" pigments from other builds. i think there was also some sand pigment in there too :smiling3:

\ said:
I would have liked to see more mud and dirt on it but it looks very nice
I was going to put more mud on it however i went for a more real looking 3D effect with wax and pigment on the usual muddy area's as apposed to covering the whole tank in mud. Some splatter might go well tho.

\ said:
Very nice, nothing to improve it really looks superb as is.
Thanks, i thought this one was the best out of the three iv posted today but after no comments i started to wonder if i had gone mad hahaha thanks tho!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
I'm sure its the decals, they seem too shiny, in fact the two red stars have cracked if you look really close. I'm going to put it down to bad or old decals that came with the kit, i tried with the numbers aswell but they are in an odd location where there's not really a source for dirt, dust and or rust to streak over. Good kit, bad decals.
Tamiya weathering stick (mud) and about 5 pigment mix for the dirt its self, green, brown, black, rust and dust. And some leftover "dirt" pigments from other builds. i think there was also some sand pigment in there too :smiling3:
ta for the info,there worked real well,.

see I only have a sandy gray type of dirt in the garden,need to find someone who.has dirt and clay and get them to dig up some for me, ;)

in the spot,where you cannot real use a mud,or dirt,you could always try a very lite color of dust,mixed with mat clear ,just to get the shine off,and dull it all down, :smiling3:

I

IanTheWelder

Love it, great build and weathering.

Just love these russian tanks, gonna have to get some of these.

think your weathering is spot on, the green colour is bang on, and love those mud effects, great build and finish.

i`ve started to tone down decals with a very light covering of paint here and there. Different companies seem to have varying degrees

of `shinyness` - if that is even a word, from what i`ve noticed since coming back to the hobby.

ian

W

Weeman0000

The actual decals aren't as shiny in person.They have a fair amount of streaks and grime/rust over them (numbers) but it may also be a case of bad lighting as well, but yeah decals do seem to come in different shinynesses haha i'v got some UN ones from another kit and they (altho plastic) have a matt look to them.

I am doing a Leopard 2A4, just painted it and then knocked my bottle of turps i use to clean brushes over the whole hull, completely messed it up and brush painting a streaky coat over a streaky base coat will not like a 3rd or 4th coat to make it look good. So i was thinking, the UN used leopard 1A5's so why don't i make a UN leo 2A4... not a real color scheme but when it comes to actual colors i seldom use the correct one and i can use the airgun for that first coat. If you have seen the M51 WIP im doing that base coat is awesome. Love the airgun but it doesn't leave any room for mistakes, not sure how brushing thinned airbrush paints would work out.

Also nice tip on the mud. I have a sort of peat/earth type of dirt so useless for models, but the pigments and wax may have turned out better, plus the wax drys hard but made pliable with water. I have a sand one and a snow one as well so at some point i'm going to HAVE to do a WW2 russian arty with snow and white wash camo. :D