Isopropyl Alchohol

First Name
Gary
As with the usual looney tunes panic buying there appears to be a shortage of IPA. What there is is an outrageous price. I have been cleaning my airbrush with water and then a run through with IPA. Is the only alternative airbrush cleaner, expensive again, or just clean with water then every now and then use what IPA I have left ?

Or does anyone know where there is stock of IPA ? Amazon are out of stock of my usual one

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just had a quick look on ebay. Seems like a lot of sellers are jumping on the bandwagon to make huge profits.

Don't know if these folks have any left but this seems a good deal as I've seen 250ml containers advertised for three times the price they're charging for 5000ml!!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
if you mix ipa with glycerol (which is cheap from the chemist) it makes hand sanitizer thats just as good as the bought stuff

First Name
Gary
But will it clean my airbrush Paul ? :tears-of-joy:

A good tip though but I just use soap.

Thanks Dave, good spot. Looks like that seller hasn't caught on yet so just ordered some :thumb2:

Edit: Chinese seller but they must have stock in the UK as just got confirmation of delivery on Thursday.

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Windex window cleaner works as well....But personally I would just switch to a dedicated airbrush cleaner.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Luckily i have both on my shelf. Plus i don't do that much airbrushing inwhich would require me to use 1L of IPA and 500ml of airbrush cleaner.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
See if you can get some lacquer thinner from a hardware shop. That is strong stuff that will clean the airbrush even better than ipa. Make sure that you have solvent resistant seals on the airbrush though, but you should have done that for ipa use anyway. Alternatively try Mr Tool Cleaner....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The one in my post above still has 9 in stock
That's odd, the comment I posted "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available " was copied from that link.
Pete

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Gary,
As Dave said washing up liquid and warm water, followed by a run through with thinners to get rid of the moisture.
Mike.