Italeri 1/48 AH-64D Longbow Apache

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
1/87 is US model railroading HO scale. It was a popular wargaming scale in the 60s that morphed into a military modeling scale in the US & parts of Europe. All my modeling is done at that scale as it allows for units of items & broader vistas. PaulE

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Aha! Makes a lot of sense!

Now I’m wondering how you’ll integrate apaches in to a railway:thinking:

Army base?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Afgan topography more likely. There is an amazing rescue story of a couple Brit Apaches carrying special operators on the sponsons into an ongoing Afgan village battle to rescue/recover two wounded Brit marines I think. I have the book somewhere. Truly amazing story. PaulE

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Not one of Ed Macy’s by any chance? I’ve heard / read a similar story.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work on the seats and cockpit chris , the misaligned panel lines are a bugger arent they . Cheers tony

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Not one of Ed Macy’s by any chance? I’ve heard / read a similar story.
A really good read! Funny when you read the pilot's account of Jugroom Fort, and then how it differs to the Commando's account.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Great work on the seats and cockpit chris , the misaligned panel lines are a bugger arent they . Cheers tony

They certainly are. Still playing with thoughts & ideas about how to tackle the access panels. The biggest problem I think is the difference in width of lines and how to balance this out. The only thing I can think of is to fill and rescribe the whole panel. I'll think on.

A really good read! Funny when you read the pilot's account of Jugroom Fort, and then how it differs to the Commando's account.

Both his books are great! A number of years since I read them though.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Adding a little update...because I feel like it!

Got the vast majority of the main fuselage seam cleanup done yesterday and corrected (at least I think so) the wonky access panel lines.

I had to paste on a load of filler to the section between the rotor housing and the gearbox(?). You can see it in the second photo of post #19. Once I got it all sanded down to it's level it reappeared, but at least it's all flat and smooth now. I also scribed in where the two access doors meet in the middle.

IMG_3670.JPGIMG_3671_LI.jpg

Moving to the underside I replaced to little misaligned circular mouldings with equally uncircular platicard bits. As above, also straightened the poorly aligning panel lines.

IMG_3674.JPGIMG_3673.JPG

Here's the really poorly fitting panel under the cockpit. If I were building the 'A', this would be a problem.

IMG_3675.JPG

Since I'm not, the additional cheeks (sponsons?) cover the vast majority of it. Maybe my luck is in!

IMG_3676.JPG

...or maybe not. Take a look at the exhausts aganst an image of the actual thing.

IMG_3669.JPGScreenshot 2021-02-25 192150.png

I am considering removing the entirity of the area that should be black, saving the mesh top and bottom and making everything else up from card. An alternative might be to just chop out the vertical bits in situ and replace with card. Hmm.... :thinking:

Anyone that might have an alternative perspective on how to approach these exhausts please pipe up!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Great effort you're putting into this. The filling and rescribing on the fuselage is looking good. As for the exhausts - could you replace the front? Cut a new front and cut/drill/sand the three openings.
Keep up the great work.
Jim

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks all.

I think I know what I'm going to do, thanks especially to Paul for bringing me back to starting from a simple starting point!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work on fixing the misaligned panel lines chris . The exhausts look like another poorly moulded PITA , good luck with sorting them , cheers tony

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
So...I have been agonising over these exhausts since my last post and what by any measure would be considered a disproportionate amount of time given the object.

I started out with Paul's inspired idea to fill them and shape them, which I did and made mess of it.

So I thought I might fill them completely and make a template, then drill them out by hand. The logic being the drilled holes would have a more uniform profile and the template would ensure consistency.

IMG_3677.JPGIMG_3680.JPGIMG_3681.JPGIMG_3682.JPG

But it didn't go as I had planned or hoped and the result is still cack-handed.

Then I remembered Bobs (Bowcat) latest acquisition in the form of the drill. I have a low torque 1/4" driver for ikea furniture, so I bought a 1/4" chuck for it.

IMG_3686.JPGIMG_3685.JPG

But this too messed up the holes.

So this is mainly a story of woe, misadventure and starting from scratch.

I'm going to take Jims advice and make new face plates!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I’m going to finish these up as they are and move on. Much happier with this result. Not perfect but good enough and need to get on with it!

691533EC-D385-49CA-ADDC-C504B40EF018.jpegBA59EFAE-35D3-42F5-9A4B-8F58A652F3CE.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

Well done for persevering. I think I would have given up.

ATB.,

Andrew

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks chaps.

I hope it’s an improvement. Couldn’t be worse (could it)?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You have much patience Chris. Looking at it, and if you haven't already lost the will to deal with this PITA, would it be an option to cut off the face, and precut styrene sheet faces onto the exhaust box? Having said that, it looks like once you smooth them down they'll look okay under the dark OD or gun metal (?) colour.