Italeri 1/48 Douglas P70 by Andrea

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
After some posting on the "What's on the bench" thread, I thought this build would have deserved a place of its own. The main reason for this choice is that it's a very slow build. The dedicated thread is less dispersive thus allowing the few who will be interested to follow with more ease the snail-pace progresses.
This is the box art.
2724_illustrazioneLR.JPG

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Offices and motors.
Tried to add some details as I consider this kit a experimental one, mainly because being a "full black" aircraft, I'm getting the opportunity to increase my skills in airbrushing different shades of the same colour.
Nevertheless, I try to use every chance to try something new: seat belts are a photocopy and the lines on the motors are copper threads from a dismissed electric cable.
IMG_7567.JPGIMG_7576.JPGIMG_7568.JPG

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Progress as per today
IMG_7618.JPGIMG_7633.JPGIMG_0017.JPG
The kit is rather good, at least for my skill level: no real fitting issue on the fuselage and wings; some issue with the tail, in need for some putty as well as the upper part of the engines nacelles and the carburetor intakes, but nothing really important.
I decided to reinforce the wing spar with some brass tube as it is too flexible and I think that the wings, with engines and landing gears on will be on the heavy side.
I already added some lead beneath the pilot's office but I think I will have to add more in the nose. Balancing the fuselage at the spar in its current state, she's still a tail sitter, which is not good for a dignified Lady.

Thank you for following.

Andrea.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Some small steps forward.
Today I finished to sand the junction between the tail and the fuselage and painted the engines. I'm satisfied with the results using just some black primer and dark steel pigments for the cylinders and some grey and silver for the other parts.
IMG_0036.JPG
Then started with the main landing gear (sorry, no pics: those I did were awfully out of focus) and added some weight in the nose
IMG_0046.JPG
That's all for now. Thank you for patiently waiting for further updates.

Andrea

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Sorry completely missed the start of this. That's coming on very nicely so far.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in, unfortunately missed the start Andrea , sorry about that .
You must be pleased to be at the bench again after all the wait on the house being ready during the COVID .

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I missed this as well. She’s progressing well though Andy :thumb2:
Hi Andy
You've made very good progress over the last few days. Not a snail's pace at all. Engines look really nice.
Jim
Andy,
Some nice progress the engine harnesses look great.
I'm in, unfortunately missed the start Andrea , sorry about that .
You must be pleased to be at the bench again after all the wait on the house being ready during the COVID .
Just seen this one as well, great start and just pulled up my chair.

Thank you all for dropping in and comment this build.
I still haven't the time I'd like to at my bench, but scrapping up some hours hither and tither is already a rewarding satisfaction, as well as your kind words.
Hope to post some further progress before you fall asleep... anyway, snoring is permitted but only below 130 dB or you'd wake me up ...:tongue-out3: ...and Matron too :face-with-thermometer:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work andrea , the engines look superb . Im in the same boat as yourself - cant seem to find the time to get to the bench . Keep the updates coming , cheers tony

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Prrrrrrrrrrrrrretty neat so far ... keep it up !
Top work andrea , the engines look superb . Im in the same boat as yourself - cant seem to find the time to get to the bench . Keep the updates coming , cheers tony
Thank you (peut etre un merci beaucoup pour Jean-Marc?) for your interest and kind words.
As I've been struck by COVID (but now I'm "negative" again) the build has come to a sudden stop (which is the real reason for injuries, not eccessive speed as many suppose...:face-with-head-bandage: :rolling:) as well as almost all of my activities. I'm recovering slowly but steadily and hope to be at the bench as soon as I manage to redress the backyard jungle into what it is supposed to be our garden.:tongue-out3: It's incredible how 3 weeks without care in springtime can transform a decent lawn into the Serengeti after the rain season.:surprised:
Andrea

First Name
Jean-Marc
Thank you (peut etre un merci beaucoup pour Jean-Marc?) for your interest and kind words.
As I've been struck by COVID (but now I'm "negative" again) the build has come to a sudden stop (which is the real reason for injuries, not eccessive speed as many suppose...:face-with-head-bandage: :rolling:) as well as almost all of my activities. I'm recovering slowly but steadily and hope to be at the bench as soon as I manage to redress the backyard jungle into what it is supposed to be our garden.:tongue-out3: It's incredible how 3 weeks without care in springtime can transform a decent lawn into the Serengeti after the rain season.:surprised:
Andrea
..I'm sorry to hear that it stroke badly but at least you are recovering that is the good news.. over here spring as arrive as usual but lots of rain and still more cold days, no point for cleaning up yet ..I,m crossing my finger so we could see you next step into the modeling world shortly ...Go,go,gooooooooo..
Oh,, très délicat de ta part ..having 'SHAUN the sheep' as avatar I sense a french girlfriend behind those french word ..BBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAA ...lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to read you've been struck down yet again Andrea .
Although I tested negative twice I still feel so tired after a short while with anything energetic.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrea
I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
Last week I felt totally washed out on Monday and the feeling lasted until the end of the week. I retired to my bed on Monday dinner time and slept for almost 24 hours. Like John I also tested negative all week.
Jim