Jim R's Airfix 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI in Israel service

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Firstly thank you Ian for suggesting and organizing this GB. My kit will be the newly tooled Airfix offering which I'll build as an aircraft in the IAF in the mid 1950s

P1070013.JPG

I'll not clog up space with sprue shots as they are readily available HERE and Mike (Valeron) is building the same kit HERE. One odd thing is that the sprues are lettered A to H but there is no D sprue. As my kit was bought "unstarted but pre-owned" I thought at first it was missing. Various parts were off their sprues anyway.

I also have the Yahu instrument panel, a set of masks and some aftermarket decals.
P1070025.JPG

P1070026.JPG

P1070011.JPG

A little bit of background. After the formation of Israel in 1948 the new state found itself surrounded by hostile Arab nations. It needed military equipment ASAP. After WW2 there was a lot of kit kicking around in Europe, now surplus to requirements. In 1951 Israel bought 67 ex French Air Force Mosquitos. The French had bought them from Britain after the war and they had seen service in French Indo-China. By the time the Israels got hold of them they were in pretty poor condition, so were cheap and the French were glad to be rid of them. The Israelis refurbished them and used them in a variety of roles. Unfortunately they were parked out in the hot desert sun which did their wooden frames no good at all. They were not a great success in their new role and were withdrawn from service in 1957.

Only one sleep to go and I can start :tongue-out3:

Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've also got this in the stash but will be doing a night fighter version for the GB.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice line up Jim. I’ll be following

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'll be following along too Jim :smiling3:
New Airfix tooling eh?.... Should be a nice and clean build.Mind you,at that scale, doing those instrument panel deals would scare the life out of me!! ;)
Good luck Sir!!
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well it's the 1st of July. I got my household chores done which keeps the missus sweet and made a start. OK all I've actually done is compare the kit seats with the resin ones. Sometimes the aftermarket seats don't fit well but here they look a pretty good match for size, the navigator's is a bit wider but there looks to be some wriggle room. The am seats have belts molded in so that's good.
P1070018.JPG

Although the instructions would have you start with the cockpit I may skip forward and have a look at the undercarriages as it looks a bit awkward and will be nice to get done and put to one side.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Airfix have been quite clever with the under carriage. They have you use the lower wing parts as a jig. They also give a diagram to show the correct angle. I cut out a piece of card to check I got the angle right.
P1070014.JPG

.... but they weren't that clever because the diagram for the undercarriage on the other wing should have been a mirror image but was actually just the same :thinking: Not a problem though.

The parts went together nicely. Here is the card angle checker
P1070015.JPG

P1070017.JPG

P1070016.JPG

The completed frames and then just added the mudguard and some kind of tank.
P1070019.JPG

Next is get these painted and then build up the cockpit/bomb bay.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Jim, as mine is going to be a crashed version I'm lucky there will only be one of those under carriage things.
I need all the help there is :cool:

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Jim,

I've just noticed something. The undercarriage is labelled sprues E and F in the instructions but I have two sprues labelled E. Do you have two 'E' sprues or an 'E' and and 'F' sprue. I'm just trying to work out if I have a problem or not.

Mike

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Mike - I think some parts on the E and F sprues are the same but not all.

I have completed the undercarriage. Vallejo Metal Colour aluminium and a bit of oil work.
P1070045.JPG

I have also got a lot of the cockpit prepared and dry fitted.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all

I've had a good couple of days. This kit is a joy to put together. A shame the PE instrument panel only had that panel and not the radios etc but they will hopefully look OK when all buttoned up. Completed the cockpit and did a dry fit check inside the fuselage halves - as with everything with this kit the fit was perfect.

P1070027.JPG

P1070028.JPG

P1070029.JPG

Thanks for looking in.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cracking job so far Jim and a real inspiration for when I get around to doing mine.

Very well done.

Andrew

Reactions: JR