Valerons Airfix 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This will be what I'm building for the Mossie group build. I picked it up from the shop at the RAF Museum in Hendon a month or so ago.

It'll only be my 3rd model since getting into modelling and joining the forum in January.

I'll be brush painting using Vallejo model colour paints which I've used on the previous two 1/72 Airfix aircraft I've made.

I have a few weeks left to prepare and source paints but I've decided to go with the colour scheme shown below. I've been reading that when painting a black aircraft it is actually best to paint off black, like Nato Black or a lightened up Matt Black as this allows better effects with panel line washes later. Anyway I need to look into this further before the GB starts in a few weeks but if anyone has any advice on this, this would be appreciated.

Mike

20220411_141059.jpg20220608_103135.jpg20220608_103232.jpg20220608_102852.jpgMossie Paint colours.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice choice. If you are going for the night black option there a discussion here. Looks like it was a very dark blue black, not just a soot matt black, depending upon period…

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
This will be what I'm building for the Mossie group build. I picked it up from the shop at the RAF Museum in Hendon a month or so ago.

It'll only be my 3rd model since getting into modelling and joining the forum in January.

I'll be brush painting using Vallejo model colour paints which I've used on the previous two 1/72 Airfix aircraft I've made.

I have a few weeks left to prepare and source paints but I've decided to go with the colour scheme shown below. I've been reading that when painting a black aircraft it is actually best to paint off black, like Nato Black or a lightened up Matt Black as this allows better effects with panel line washes later. Anyway I need to look into this further before the GB starts in a few weeks but if anyone has any advice on this, this would be appreciated.

Mike

View attachment 455527View attachment 455528View attachment 455529View attachment 455530View attachment 455531
Nice choice. If you are going for the night black option there a discussion here. Looks like it was a very dark blue black, not just a soot matt black, depending upon period…

Nice choice Mike. I secretly have this in the stash but tell be doing something different for the GB.

Tim, thanks for the link. I knew 'pure' black would be too much at this scale, even if only due scale effect but interesting to hear it was mixed with blue..... Most helpful!

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Good choice and great to see you join in the GB. I will be building the same kit but as a post war Israeli Air Force plane.
not just a soot matt black
I would definitely finish with a satin varnish. Very dark colours on planes look odd when totally matt. Just my opinion.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally, I think aircraft in general look odd if they are totally matt Jim. It kills the lines of the airframe. Most pilots at the time didn’t actually like dead matt aircraft, the friction takes the edge off the performance. I‘ve read this in several BoB pilot reminiscences. One went as far as highlighting a pilot who liked a matt finish as unusual. Apparently that guy didn’t like his aircraft finish “flashing” in the sun as he turned in the combat zone, but the rest asked for the planes to be polished to get the maximum speed out of them..

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Black and white are two very extreme colours I think, look a bit out of place on a model.
Years ago, I built a 1:32 SOE Lysander - black all over, obviously too black. It was recommended that I add a bit of red to the black just to alter the shade, this apparently was a normal trick. So I did mix a bit of red into the black. Nothing much seemed to happen, so I added more, then, just a touch more. And maybe even a bit more, the paint still looked black to me. What a surprise when I started spraying the model and the paint that landed on the model was purple. So yes, do mix it up a bit, but just a bit.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Black and white are two very extreme colours I think, look a bit out of place on a model.
Years ago, I built a 1:32 SOE Lysander - black all over, obviously too black. It was recommended that I add a bit of red to the black just to alter the shade, this apparently was a normal trick. So I did mix a bit of red into the black. Nothing much seemed to happen, so I added more, then, just a touch more. And maybe even a bit more, the paint still looked black to me. What a surprise when I started spraying the model and the paint that landed on the model was purple. So yes, do mix it up a bit, but just a bit.
That was a blue based black then Colin LOL…..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Depending on the date of the airframe the actual bird had a few options.
Either it was literally painted with lamp black. An evil mix of paint binders and soot. It was very matt and reflected next to no light. On the minus side it rubbed of very easy, crew, both air and ground got covered in the soot and the idea was soon dropped.
Some at base level where "just paint the ruddy thing black" kind of things. possibly a result of the dislike of the lamp black.
Night black. BS462 an S type paint as in Smooth (like the sky type S, not shiny not matt but smooth) A special mix of carbon black and cobalt blue that gave it a very dark blue/grey look..
Generally there is NO black paint, apart from Vanta black (c). Buy all the different black hobby-paints you want and thin them right out until the colour pigments split out. Most common are red, green or blue as a base. They are just so dark that they appear black.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
My first GB has started and plastic has been cut. Not much to show so far and sorry for my filthy mat. I only bought it in February and look at the state of it already.

Anyone cockpit parts have been assembled and will be primed tomorrow before painting and attaching together.

There was very little tidy up required on the kit and it seems good. I've done lots of dry fitting on the parts below and am confident that they will go together once painted.

20220701_213055.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
First day and you've made good progress. I've left the cockpit and have started on the undercarriage. Not as flimsy as it looks. Glad your dry fits of the cockpit parts seem good - encouraging. I may have a look at it tomorrow.
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start!

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Something strange going on here.

The undercarriage is labelled sprue E and F in the instructions but I have two sprues labelled E. Hopefully they are identical. Have you noticed this Jim?

Also I'm surprised that Airfix don't provide a navigator figure as well as the pilot. I'm even more surprised that my pilot (part G22) is missing from the sprue. I've double checked all sprues and this seems to be the only missing part. I assumed this got knocked off when I was washing and labelling the sprues. I'll deal with this missing crew problem later,

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hope that's not a duplicate.....

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
On a more positive note, I've fully assembled the cockpit, applied basic colours and fixed the instrument panel decal. I need to apply washes, paint more detail etc before closing the cockpit in the hull.

For now though I'll now put this aside and bring the undercarriage up to the same level, then deal with the detail and washes at the same time.20220704_151616.jpg20220704_151820.jpg20220704_151831.jpg20220704_152546.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I don't think they will be....I have this in the stash..... I'll try to have a look later....