Jim's 1/35 Trumpeter Sd.Kfz 7/1

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Loving it Jigs!!! Fantastic job so far and it is a bit funny the wiper was too long. Good fix Sir. Might I ask why you have a shim under the right front tire??? Great mucking up too!!!...

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

That is looking spectacular already, even if the wheel decided to elevate itself to cause you problems! ;)

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Looking good Jim. The wiper issue would have been because Trumpeter never bothered to design a seperate smaller wiper for the split screen version screens such as the one in your kit. Lazy bar stewards!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Jim, that is turning into a model to be proud of.Very impressed with those tracks .:smiling3:

I always use a metal primer on the PE , gives the paint a better grip . Know some people don't bother ,saying it's not required but I found with the unprimed pe the paint comes off easily.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well I'm sorry for even my slow modelling progress slowing even more but my daughter kindly shared Covid with me and the wife!!! :sad:

Last Friday we went to visit. We had a lovely, family get together and went to the Chester Zoo Christmas Spectacular. We had booked into a local hotel for Friday night and intended spending Saturday as a family. Early Saturday morning my daughter messaged to say she had felt poorly in the night and tested positive, as had the granddaughter. We went straight home. Started to feel rough Sunday evening and my wife and I tested positive on Monday. Felt weak and shivery with a running nose and a cough until Thursday when we both started to improve. We both tested negative this morning and although not totally recovered we are both much improved. So yesterday afternoon was the first bench time for over a week.

So very little done. Sorry Dave I've missed the deadline.

Started on the gun. Kit barrels replaced with metal ones.
P1070220.JPG

P1070222.JPG

Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry to hear that Jim... it`s a real bugger isn`t it:sick:.... hope you`re back to rude health soon:thumb2:!!
Just caught up with the build and gotta say it looks SUPERB ,the weathering is just right IMHO..... and those Barrels look excellent:cool:
Great stuff!!
Andy

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Jim,
Sorry to hear you caught the covid, that is what I think I have had for the past week or so, totally knocks the beans out of the bag, but you will soon be back on your feet and on with the build. I still have that annoying tickle cough at the back of the throat, but am on the mend.
As for the important item - the build, looking great and love the replacement barrels.
Mike.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving those barrels. Great improvement on the kit parts……
Hope you get back to full health soon. Vaccines certainly speed up the virus cycle don’t they. First time I had it, pre vaccine, I was quite ill for about three weeks…..post vaccine, it lasted four days and was much milder.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well apart from a bit of a lingering cough we are over the Covid.
Progress has been slow. Trumpeter decided that the more parts they put into the kit the better the detail!! :rolling:
Still a way to go with the guns but I'm at the stage where I think a coat of paint will be needed as there are already a lot of nooks and crannies to get paint into. There are PE shields which will make things even more difficult. Looking at the shields their construction will be a challenge :thinking:
P1070223.JPG

P1070224.JPG

P1070225.JPG

Magazine holders made.
P1070226.JPG

JIm

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great news Jim!!! Good to hear you and yours are feeling much better. FlaK is looking really nice too. It's a shame Trumpeter doesn't give you the plastic shields as an option. It would be nice to have the choice of which ones you could use. Prob make your life easier too...

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It's a shame Trumpeter doesn't give you the plastic shields as an option.
Here’s a thought: Jim could do in reverse what modellers have been doing since photoetched accessory sets became available. That is: buy a Tamiya Flakvierling and use its shields in place of the etched ones provided in the Trumpeter kit :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Jim. The barrels really add to that ensemble nicely. Really sharp!
Regarding the gun shield….were all the Flakvierling guns fitted with them? Just thinking aloud because that would solve two problems…..no etch to worry about, and no hidden detail…..

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hey Jim,
I have this kit that I'll never build,(done 2 Versions of these in the past),if you would like it for the shield bits just say the word and I'll post it off to you :smiling3:
IMG20221209100845.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys for your good wishes. Also your thoughts on the model.

Jakko - I do agree that when a manufacturer includes PE it should be an alternative to plastic parts rather than the only option.
Tim - that's a good thought. Maybe shields were sometimes omitted.
Andy - thanks for your kind offer but I think I'll persevere with the PE. This will eventually go into a dio and the gun will be covered with a tarp so if I do c**k-up the shields it won't matter.

There are two inner shield which fit over the barrels. They look fiddly but doable.
P1070227.JPG

Fitting them over the barrels looks to be the problem. It appears that the attachment points are tiny and are themselves small, folded PE parts.
P1070228.JPG

I'm sure there's a way around it and I've a comprehensive range of swear words which may be useful and no hair to pull out anyway :smiling: