Ju88 Next on the line

D

dubster72

I see what you mean now Steve, the paintwork looks much more complete & toned-down now. Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It is the effect a coat or two of Klear (or any other varnish) has. You have to plan ahead for it and it is quite difficult to quantify.As I said I lightened the camo colours a fair bit and then "overdid" the preshading a bit. Luckily I've done a few of these schemes before (surprise,surprise) so have a rough idea of where I'm trying to get to.I'm afraid it's down to a bit of trial and error along with a bit of experience.

For anyone not used to using Klear,or similar,you can see just how different the before and after photos are.

Apart from adjusting a cock up on the lighter colour coming onto the top of the fuselage (it was a whole panel too skinny!) and a few touch ups the only difference in these two is the Klear.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 21217

View attachment 21218

basic paint.jpg

88klear2.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chap,I'm far from being an expert model maker but if any of this helps anyone then it's worth it. I'm not too precious to show something less than perfect...it's all part of the fun.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Decals on yesterday. Over four hours putting all the virtually invisible little stencils on. Treated overnight (took two applications of microsol) and sealed with a coat of Klear this morning.Looks a bit more like it now. I'm not trying to be controversial as I do understand the arguments for and against but the photo shows why I have to put the swastikas on. I put it on last to see what difference it would make and for me anyway,it's a no brainer.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 21242

decal.jpg

D

dubster72

wow that looks just like the box art Steve! Amazing how after a long time of it being in bits, it's now looking just like the real thing! Top stuff! and with regard to the markings, I do appreciate that some people may have strong negative feelings about swastikas but to me, we're modelling accurate examples of wartime tanks/planes etc so they have to be there.

Patrick

F

Fenlander

I do think it strange how the subject of putting swastikas on models causes such divisions. I cannot in any way shape or form condone anything that was done under that symbol by the Nazi party in the 30's and 40's, neither would I try to support it in any way. However, history is history. The idea that a scale model should not have that symbol on it is ridicules. Does not putting it on make anything OK? No it doesn't. Does not putting it on make any difference to the use that the machine of war was built for? No it doesn't. If the idea that swastikas should be banned on scale models simply because of their association with atrocities then I am pretty sure that there are many flags that may be considered in a similar light by peoples in India and Africa.

C

Caledonia

Steve, Amazing how a model comes alive once the decals are added, have enjoyed following your progress. Look forward to the finished Aircraft. For us beginners, can you write a few words about how you do your oil wash please. I am going to try it on the F-15C I am building at the moment. Look forward to your future postings. Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi chaps, washes coming up next and maybe tomorrow work permitting.I'm probably going to give it a splash of one or two of the Promodeller sludge washes but I will probably do an oil wash around the engines etc.I won't be overdoing it as I think this machine would have been kept in pretty good nick at this time ( the lovely summer of 1940, not a lot of mud!)

As for swastikas it is illegal to display them on a scale model (which is classed as a toy) in Germany which is why Revell of Germany neither supply them nor depict them on the box art.We just have to respect that. There are plenty of decal sheets available for those of us who choose to put them on their models and here we are free to make our own choice. I certainly don't think less of a model because the modeller has chosen not to use them.

Cheers

Steve

B

Backbreaker

The bird is looking excellent, can't wait to see it minus canopy masks.

BB.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The bird is looking excellent, can't wait to see it minus canopy masks.BB.
That's the scary bit!

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
this is looking superb steve ,congrats on a top quality build! Personally i think the swastika thing is down to personal preference,just like any aspect of our hobby, in fact ive just decalled my 1/72 bf 109f and i put them on there too. Looking forward to seeing the junkers in all its huge glory. (speaking of huge, have you heard revell have released plans for a 1/32 heinkel 111 !!!!!!!!? i kid you not!) cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps. I've got to get this finished by the eighth of February or it'll have too wait 'til March as work will be taking me away from the bench for a while. Trouble is ,as you lot all know,you just can't rush these things!Since this morning's Klear coat all I've done is brush paint,intentionally roughly,the yellow on the spinners.Very frustrating!

I was looking at a yellow spinner from a Bf110 in the BOB museum recently and was surprised how roughly the yellow had been brushed on. That's the look I'm going for.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've applied washes.Both Promodeller,I did a dark one underneath and a light one on top. The light one looks a bit stark in the piccy. It's not so in real life though I will remove more of it (and all those little bits of kitchen towel!). The varnish also tones it down. Don't think I'll do an oil wash in the panels now,maybe inside undercarriage doors and stuff.

View attachment 21251

View attachment 21252

View attachment 21253

sludge on.jpg

sludge off.jpg

light dirt.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, although I've not posted until now, I have been following this since the start. It is starting to come alive now.

It never ceases to amaze me how much detail you flyboys put into your projects. Your patience and skill knows no bounds.....Works a bit of a ball ache though!!!!

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Close of play this afternoon as I have to go and do other things. Varnished with my mix of 50/50 Vallejo satin varnish and Klear. After an hour I pulled of all the canopy masks. There are one or two things to clean up and fix but luckily these are such crap photos you can't see them! I was trying to show the interior on one of them but David Bailey I ain't. I'll try to get some decent snaps when I get some of the dangly bits on.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 21260

View attachment 21261

View attachment 21262

toned down varnish.jpg

greenhouse1.jpg

unmasked needs danglies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

That is looking gorgeous, wish I could mask a canopy as well as that...Dangly bits??? I have so much to learn including these technical terms :smiling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I classify "dangly bits" as anything you are certain to break off whilst handling the model. The bigger the model the more likely I am to bust something! I've had to fit the forward firing MG as it fits from the inside of the canopy. It's a miracle that I haven't broken that.....yet! I've got a box of little "dangly" sub-assemblies such as undercarriages(and their doors),wheels,MGs,various antennae,dive brakes, propellers and some others I've forgotten lol.The trick is remembering to paint them etc as you go along so that when you fix them they look like they belong.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 21277

dangly bits.jpg

D

dubster72

It's looking fantastic Steve, I'm scared of applying a wash to a plane & as for canopy masking....!!! But this thread is giving me all kinds of help & inspiration.

Patrick

B

Backbreaker

:terrific: nowt to worry about canopy wise.

Worth the wait.

BB