Kelly's Heroes Busts for Steve

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Thank you.

Yep, that's the one, and it is meant to be the character from Kelly's Heroes. I knew I'd seen it recently:

IMG_2981-e1464958313984.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
I’ll be watching this one very interesting

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
No helmet
Peter for Clint
Catch when I escape
Regards
SteveJ

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
I have a short window whilst waiting for an X-ray.
Otto is stunning, you have outdone yourself Peter
Clint's hair is iconic all by itself, so no helmet, if I caught you in time?
And a Joe bust too, wow it's Christmas come early. Every which way you can LOL.
Hopefully home by weekend then it's time to catch up whilst the festivities develop around me.
Once again if I haven't thanked you
thank you
That will be the morphine talking, sorry
have a great day with the paints.
Back to my Zimmer frame, 20 hours after the new in knee.
Regards
Steve H

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Welcome along.

Steve - Happy New Knee! Sounds as though all went well - hope the pain is manageable. At least you have a good excuse for putting your feet up this Christmas.

Delayed start on Clint this morning as my granddaughter fell asleep on my shoulder. Best to go with the flow and not disturb her.

OK re the helmet. I may try mounting it in front of him as I did with my recent gladiator bust.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

D

Deleted member 6559

Here's the first stab at Clint:

100_3452.JPG

As with the first face, the sculptor has perhaps given him a few too many wrinkles around the eyes (which were a nightmare to paint), but I think it looks like our man. I'll probably do a bit more fiddling, but he's more or less there.

First Name
Michael
Whilst the painting is, as always, superb, I'm not convinced that that bust is a great likeness to Eastwood/Kelly. The Karl-Otto Alberty one is a much better representation and I'm sure Oddball will be good too. As you say, a bit too many lines on the face.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very convincing great work as always

D

Deleted member 6559

Mike and Jim - I agree that it's not a great likeness, but then again it's hard to know who else it could be. He definitely looks Clint-like to me.

Lee - Many thanks.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Oh I totally agree he could only be Clint. Your painting is first class as always.
This will make a great set which, unless you have lived under a rock for the past 30 years, you will instantly recognise. Have you actually got a 'Big Joe' ?
Jim

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

The sculptor Pavel Ovecka has done a whole series of film-based busts for Mitches, and while the actors are usually recognisable, his personal style does tend to affect the likenesses. I don't mind that, as it makes the pieces more individual and interesting to paint, and anyway, as a group, the references are always obvious.

Steve hasn't got the 'Big Joe' bust, but I will get it for him after Christmas.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Love the post ". Grand daughter asleep on my shoulder " doesn't get any better than that.:thumb2::smiling3: I have a photo of Tom asleep on me when he was little. One of my favourites.
I'm sure the faces will look suburb what ever their likeness.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Here's Clint:

100_3455.JPG100_3456.JPG100_3457.JPG

The base colour for the jacket was Vallejo Camo Olive Green darkened with Camo Black Brown and highlighted with Off White.

I did attempt to paint the helmet, but as I suspected, the rather poor finish defeated me and I ended up abandoning it (I hope you don't mind Steve).

Now on to Oddball.......

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Very early morning Peter
Early mornings in hospital can be creaky and weird places, this morning, BRI, Ward 28, Bay 3 certainly is!
Home later today, which is good, officially have Dr's & SWMBO's permission to ""potter"" and NOT over do anything!
Not to get involved in getting Christmas days festivities and feastings!
That has to be tempered by my turning the house into a corner shop/Mini Mart with a stock of quadruple of everything over 4 ounces in weight
AND
Organised the delivery of the "fresh stuff " on Saturday 22nd.
Take comfort in those small moments of recognition even ifsonewhat

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
"continued!!"
If some what "tongue in cheek"
Peter, what can I say,
From the hair it is 100 % Clint Eastwood right from the first glance
Very well done, you have taken an average representation of a Hollywood icon and given it ""Life"
Must finish watching Victor Frankenstein with Harry potter and Mr Tumness.
Sorry drifting a little, did I really see "Joe"?
I shall catch up properly, once I have escaped, and landed back on earth.
Have another good of day, I think Oddball will be a challenge, but a satisfying one
There is always Grand Dad duties too.
Enjoy them, they grown up so quickly!
Regards Steve H

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Some great painting Peter as always, really bringing those busts to life.

D

Deleted member 6559

Good morning to you Steve. Sounds like hospital life is adding to the weirdness factor of the whole experience. Funny how we overstock these days on Christmas supplies when he shops are only closed for one day if at all - memories of Christmas's past.

Glad Clinty gets your approval. He was very nice to paint, as was Alberty. I'll make a start on Oddball today, which I'm really looking forward to.

I hope that you manage to tunnel out today - hope the escape committee has been doing its job.

Mick - Many thanks for looking in.