• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Escape committee in full swing, false papers already done
New costume to fool the guards and we are going before the full moon, a risk but worthwhile.
The physios are torchuring my cellmate but he said he won't crack.
Enjoy Oddball
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 4539

I really enjoy and appreciate the work you put into all of your threads:smiling2:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Good luck and send us a postcard from Switzerland, or are you heading to Spain?

Ralph - Very many thanks.

Well, here's Oddball's head:

100_3459.JPG100_3460.JPG

Bit of a pig, this one. The main trouble came with the eyes, which as well as being very narrow and wrinkly, were not as well finished as with the first two busts.

I looked at some pictures from the film and have painted the helmet as per, that is as black leather with some brown highlights to the cheek straps. Not a great likeness, but it's still Oddball.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think he looks rather nice.Nicely painted and hes definately oddball.Now if Steves escaping mountainside i think we will have to supply him with a St.Bernard and ample Kendalls mint cake for his escape and evasion.
Keep going Peter.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - You've set up a craving for Kendall's Mint Cake now. Love the stuff. I think Steve's aiming for Bradford, tunnelling all the way.

Scottie and Jim - Cheers. I think he'll do.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Mick.

I've just done a bit more research and discovered that he's wearing a USAAF A11 flying helmet, which should be brown, and the nearest goggles I can find are Canadian WW2 flying goggles (Sutherland is Canadian after all).

Oddball is certainly a a very different character from Sutherland's brilliant portrayal of J P Getty in the recently shown 'Trust' (highly recommended). He's also the star of my all-time favourite film, Fellini's 'Casanova' (best watched in the English version - Sutherland's own voice and better dialogue than the Italian version with subtitles). A beautiful, beautiful film.

200546_160808_2_012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My favourite Donald Sutherland character was as Liam Devlin, the marsh warden, in The Eagle has Landed. The air of menace he portrayed was amazing.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Another good performance. However, the least said about his Yorkshire accent in 'Revolution' the better.

D

Deleted member 6559

Oddball is finished:

100_3465.JPG

The jacket was first given a coat of Vallejo Matt Black, then dry-brushed with Saddle Brown, Red Leather and Flat Flesh. I did it that way in order to try and get a leathery texture, though it was a challenge not to try and clean it up too much. The final stage involved coating it in a dark teak antiquing wax, then buffing it up to give a soft sheen. All that remained was to add the helmet strap, dog tag, iron cross and goggles.

Here are the three busts together:

100_3468.JPG

I've also ordered the Telly Savalas figure from Mitches to make up the set for Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work & blogging as always Peter. The rebar was the tough part. PaulE

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
3 crackers Mr.D.Really great work and a nice trio.Ive never tried Kendall mint cake but im sure its very sweet if fell walkers etc like it for energy purposes.
Steve will be thrilled.
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

A very nice collection, beautifully painted,

John

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry Peter but I have missed one of your all time great bust works. I have had a wonderful time reading through the blog and top marks to Stephen. An awesome trio of work Peter. A fantastic way to lead up to Christmas and no negative waves:smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Superb trio - iconic. Look forward to Telly completing the line up.
Jim