Kovozavody prostejov ( KP) 1/72 Fouga magister

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Interesting aircraft Tony and it doesn’t look a bad kit. Cockpit looks busy although, as you say, not much of it will be seen with the canopy on.
Looking forward to the progress and that unusual tiger tail!
Cheers, P

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Interesting aircraft Tony and it doesn’t look a bad kit. Cockpit looks busy although, as you say, not much of it will be seen with the canopy on.
Looking forward to the progress and that unusual tiger tail!
Cheers, P
Cheers paul , its a very interesting aircraft , very elegant looking in my eyes. Its not a bad kit , but typical short run tooling - no locating tabs for the wings , no locating pins on anything , etc etc. The older Airfix and Heller kits are only slightly less detailed but a much easier build if you fancy doing one ;) ( BTW seriously ,if you do I'll have a good few spare decal schemes you can have by the time ive done with this and the Mistercraft( Heller) kit !)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done on the cockpit today. The seats have had a coat of matt varnish to dull down the shiny decal belts and a couple of oxygen hoses were added using wound guitar string and painted bright green as per the cockpit photos ive seen . The tub has now been fitted and the fuselage halves glued together ( carefully , due to the total absence of any locating pins !)58E8AFB1-4D5A-4265-A308-CE0172D31C98.jpegDA74C011-B15D-4FBA-97F4-39866DA84AFA.jpeg7C9BB95B-DE3C-4036-BB24-E3CEAE0AEFA1.jpeg58BB229B-8C71-419A-A1E2-F2FD9597C53F.jpeg
The canopy is next , so ive been masking it up , always a favourite job !:confounded: Before its fitted there is the lower part of the instructors periscope to be added to the inside 44804473-B182-43B4-942C-44A7F834CC65.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After fitting the periscope to the inside and outside of the canopy its now been glued on - not a seamless fit but this is to be expected with limited run kits. Another unfortunate aspect of some limited run toolings is the lack of any locating pins or in this case slots and tabs for the wings , its just a plain butt joint. In order to strengthen it i drilled some holes to fit brass pins into. They were glued into the wings first then a blob of black paint was put on the end of the pins and used to mark roughly where to drill on the fuselage. The holes needed a bit of fettling to get a flush fit but theyre now glued on and dont look too bad . 199E5AD1-863C-4BAA-A57C-E83169FCCE99.jpeg9112394F-8194-4B47-BC9F-346DCAF69CC6.jpegE92AA2A9-A832-4D77-8A62-DED58DFE8C6A.jpeg2465117A-281B-4D7E-AAF1-404E7F4E812A.jpeg07E622FF-575D-44B4-A5B1-CC6496F17F71.jpegDEC64AC5-38E4-4FE6-BCFF-74A9A9CD9914.jpeg770E30BA-9BEB-456A-8126-2BDCE74E9018.jpegDF66E8D9-E7D5-488B-94E6-F36BEA33D4F9.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tony .
Most impressive work on a thing so small . Like Jim I think those brass pins are a splendid idea.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Well ok Tony, you lost me here! You were building a flying orange wing thingy and had probs with the decals, that you fixed really well....Now, I see you are building a 'cuss' word (in another language) new wing thingy kit. I just did a read through and you are doing another great job too!!! I'll do my best to try and keep up with you Sir!!!...Oh, and great use of the Albion tubing you bought. It's really useful in our hobby...

Prost
Allen, confused in Bamberg...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Progress has been very slow on this one but I’m a little further on now. I got a coat of white primer on ( UMP / Stynlrez ) a few days ago ,and yesterday came to see about getting some colour on the tail and nose. When handling the model to mask up the white strip under the tail the primer started rubbing off in places . It seems that the white primer is nowhere near as good as the black , not sticking to the bare plastic very well at all - most unimpressed ! After a good swearing session I had to sand the areas where it had rubbed off , trying to get a feather edge so I could re prime. This time I took no chances and blasted the whole thing with Halfords white primer straight from the can . Lesson learnt - bin the white stynlrez , after all a primer that doesnt adhere well to bare plastic is just a standard ,fairly translucent ,white paint and ive got plenty of that !
Anyhow , i got the strip masked and yellow was applied to the tail area , and at the other end a bright orange on the nose. Once cured these will be masked off and the rest of the airframe is going to be silver , not decided yet if im going to black undercoat or just leave the white . E770D7DE-F61A-4481-BB1B-E1762E77A51C.jpeg53B5A30A-210D-4ACE-8EA6-E16310BCBFC4.jpeg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I tried stynylrez once and was very disappointed given the hype it had received. It was the white though so maybe I should give their black a chance.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I tried stynylrez once and was very disappointed given the hype it had received. It was the white though so maybe I should give their black a chance.
Me too andy , it just wasnt sticking to the plastic , it looked great after spraying but the slightest touch and it was coming off .
I rubbed a bit near the wingroot and it started peeling off so i either had to completely strip it or try and consolidate it a bit so hopefully the overcoat of Halfords white will have toughened it up .
If I had tried masking on the original coat it would have just pulled off back to the plastic on removal . To be honest its made me a bit wary of using the black too .
Edit - thinking about it the only other time i used the white was on the t34 mentor , and I had already primed that with Halfords grey before the white - so that explains why I didnt have any problems with that one . But if youve got to apply a primer before you apply a primer then thats just pointless !

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Tony. Strange about the Stynylrez, I like it but I've only used the black and the grey. I think I'll give the white a miss. Nice fix with the wings and also getting the dihedral (is that the right word?) correct.
I have just started a KP Israeli Spitfire and I noticed the total lack of location tabs. I hope I can tame it as well as you're doing with this.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Poor adhesion was one of the problems I had with white Stynylrez.
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good Tony. Strange about the Stynylrez, I like it but I've only used the black and the grey. I think I'll give the white a miss. Nice fix with the wings and also getting the dihedral (is that the right word?) correct.
I have just started a KP Israeli Spitfire and I noticed the total lack of location tabs. I hope I can tame it as well as you're doing with this.
Cheers jim , a lot of the new KP releases are reboxes of AZ or Valom kits . Good kits but quite limited run in their make up , hence the lack of locating pins etc . Just means it gives the old modelling skills a workout , cheers tony