Liberation, Italy 1944

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Best of Show, that's fantastic Tim. Well deserved

Just looking at the pictures and the lass on the balcony bears a striking resemblance to a Greek girl that works in our office :smiling3:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Your excellent work has been such a long time in the making but thoroughly worthwhile. A hearty congratulations on your well deserved win, well done Tim:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tim, congratulations to you and Miss "Boobs" lol! Your uncanny abilities have been richly rewarded. A big WELL DONE to you and I look forward to seeing what you get into next. Cheers, Rick H.
:thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well done Tim. Richly deserved recognition. Will it be going to Telford? If so will you be making any changes/additions to the scene?

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks to you all. Obviously I was dead chuffed.

Given that MAFVA is esentially a vehicle show (and there were many finer ones on display than mine) I did feel a little like the guy who crashes the village fete with the biggest marrow...

Yes, I will be taking this to Telford. And a few other shows, hopefully.

In the meantime, I still have to 'finish' it.

Feeling that there was a bit of a gap in the middle of the diorama I had already decided that something else was needed... something small. Well, to even up the Allies v German vehicle count, what better than a motorbike? The Bronco Triumph certainly fits the bill.

This is where I entered a World of Pain. Like most Bronco kits, this has exquisite detail - but it comes at a price to your sanity. The good news? Because you have two bikes in the box, if you mess up one part then you have another to replace it. The bad news? It's quite an expensive motorcycle!

The wheels are the greatest challenge. The kit comes with a clever mould to give the photoetch spokes their correct concave shape. The only problem is that it doesn't really work as intended. It was only after my first set of wheels ended in disaster that I worked out how to do it - use the open part of the mould and then press the spokes into shape using the rubber end of a pencil.

Anyway, here it is taking shape.

hOmKCD5.jpgDbBBAzg.jpg

In comparison, the figure is a joy. This beautiful sculpture from Sovereign Wolf is called 'British dispatch rider' and based on a photo of Bernard 'Des' Desmares of the 56th London Division in Italy 1943. He's even made to fit the Bronco bike. So perfect!

Des_Italy_1943.jpg

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Didnt think it could get any better. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at Telford this year

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Tim,
Well done at the Nationals a well deserved award, the lump of 4x2 missed your head by a fraction :angry:..... Seriously very well done, you deserved it and good luck at Telford.
Wire wheels can be a pain, i learned this method from the late Harry Woodman from his book about scratch building aircraft.
wwheel.jpg
A rough example...
Cheers, Mike.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well deserved win Tim and still to be finished :thumb2: The bike looks as finicky as the MiniArt bikes but it'll look good at the end.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
20190929_185038.jpg20190929_185006.jpg

Crikey,

I can't believe that it's been more than 2 1/2 months since my last post in this thread.

Well of course Summer intervened (including a trip to Japan) and then work hit...

Anyway, as you will see from above, my build on the BSA is now complete.

I added some goggles, a holster and lanyard to the rider. To continue the liberation theme I also gave him some suitable booty for the back of the bike...

Now it's just the paint to go on and he will join everyone else on the diorama in time for Scale Model World at Telford.

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Pete. Hope to see you there.

I'm looking forward to my first time in the competition - having seen my sons enter over previous years.

I missed my mention in the Airfix mag - must look out for it. Was it the September or October issue?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The pose looks good. It will be a good addition to the dio. Good luck at Telfords Tim.

Cheers,
Richard

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
This really is an amazing piece Tim, its been a pleasure to follow its development.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
You were also in Tankette with your well deserved competition win. Looking forward to seeing you and the dio in Telford in November

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Pete. Hope to see you there.

I'm looking forward to my first time in the competition - having seen my sons enter over previous years.

I missed my mention in the Airfix mag - must look out for it. Was it the September or October issue?
I won't be there Tim, I don't like Telford!
It was the October edition - I was given a free copy when I went to the IPMS Brampton show on Sunday. OAP entry 50p, and a free magazine worth £4.70! Not bad! You only get a single sentence "This year's 'Best of Show' was won deservedly by Tim Forster with his stunning1/35 'Liberation, Italy 1944' diorama; full competition results are available at www.mafva.org "

Pete

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks guys (and Peter especially for taking the touble to transcribe the entry from Airfix Magazine).

Here are a few more shots of progress made on my motorbike.

20191012_180631.jpg
20191012_180646.jpg20191012_180609.jpg

Painting and weathering is almost complete on the Triumph. I went for 'Light Mud' finish (Vallejo Khaki with a little added white), since this was commonly used in Italy from 1943. It makes a welcome change form Olive Drab.

20191012_175232.jpg

The figure is just showing his undercoat, although I have added a wash to the face to help bring out the detail, especially around the eyes. More layers of paint coming... I must say, I'm really taken with this guy!