LRDG Command Cars

First Name
Jason
I would class myself as a dyed in the wool sports car builder able to bash together a reasonable looking kit. Recently however I've been looking at some stunning military models and diorama and I got to thinking 'How hard can it be!' famous last words ey.

I'm not straying too far from my usual genre in the respect that it still has wheels but I am itching to try out some of the weathering techniques that I see executed so well around here. Might even have a go at a little diorama!!

Wish me luck.

View attachment 84155

View attachment 84156

View attachment 84157

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0218.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

P

Polux

Welcome to the dark side Jason ;)

Is an excellent choice. The sand colour give you a good opportunity to paint a subtle chipping effect, some washes and dust, many dust :P

I wish you luck, but anyway you don't need!! You will build a magnificent model, I'm really sure about that ;)

N

noble

Hi Jason ive built the chevy with the breda gun and I can say that it goes together very well, I like this kit of yours especially the seven lrdg/sas figures that you get with the kit..... I will be watching in anticipation.

scott

L

Laurie

Strange coincidence Jason.

Just reading for the 5 or 6 or is it 7th time Popski's Private Army. One of the great reads of WW11. In the desert where Popski opperates with his troop of Jeeps festooned as the SAS with guns.

He uses the LDRG under Easonsmith and the Prendergast to get his supplies along the dessert area beyond the enemy to the west. Thinking this morning how great a diorama this would make with 2 LDRG lorries and Popski's Jeeps.

Matter of interest Popski's group went into Italy on the British, the east side of Italy, after the end of the dessert war. During that time his group were actually instrumental in fooling the enemy to actually surrender by letting off all guns with the jeeps at intervals on the far side of the towns.

Laurie

First Name
Jason
Thanks Gents, it's nice to have you along for my new adventure.

Laurie this is a spooky coincidence but I have been doing a bit of research on the subject and it is a fascinating story. I also thought that a diorama with two Chevys and a Jeep could look amazing so I've ordered Tamiyas SAS Jeep and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another Chevy. Hopefully with a Breda gun like the one Scott mentioned.

Hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew!

Jason

L

Laurie

Jason I will see if I can scan the pictures in the Poski Book. May be a bit small in detail but gives the feel of the dessert.

Laurie

First Name
Jason
Thanks Laurie, that would be great if you could.

Jason

N

noble

Jason if you cant find the SAS jeeps then try this buy the italleri commando car and convert it, this is what I have done with mine. it has all the necessary bits to do this, you might have to add jerry cans though.

scott

First Name
Jason
Cheers Gentlemen. Tamiyas SAS Jeep arrived in the post today along with the Eduard photo etch set for it:smiling3:. I also won another Chevy on Ebay, unfortunately no Breda gun but it was only a tenner so couldn't resist it. The seller has glued the chassis together but it should be fine. That ought to be enough vehicles for the dio I have in mind, maybe a few more figures and a camel needed though;).

Anyway I've started on the truck and its a really nice kit. It practically builds itself. However Eduards photoetch kit is a different story! Don't get me wrong, it too is brilliant, so many extra details and very well etched. What I wasn't prepared for is how tiny these pieces are! I don't know what I was expecting, it is 1/35th:confused:. So after much cursing I gave up and ordered a PE bending tool from John in the shop along with some of those sticky pencils for placing the really fiddly bits and it helps but some of these bits are crazy small. The 6 bits of PE in the cab took an entire evening to get right....I will be persevering with it though, I think it really adds a lot to this already great kit.

Some shots of progress so far.

View attachment 84371

View attachment 84372

View attachment 84373

View attachment 84374

View attachment 84375

The body and bed are only dry fitted at the moment and I've still got a ton of PE to add.

I do have a couple of questions though!

1) What is the thingy in the left hand side of the cab? I was thinking fire extinguisher bracket but I can't find any reference pics..

2) As I'm new to this genre, Do you usually build the whole subject before you start to paint? If not what should I be painting/weathering separatley. The process seems a bit different to car building.

Most grateful if you can help, probably be many more questions before I'm done;)

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0224.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

P

Polux

Looking excellent!! ;)

Let's see...if it was my model suppose I built in two "fases" first the "cargo" zone. A several chipping effect on the interior and then the cab. I think is better work without the seat on the cab...she needs a several weathering as well :smiling3: and you will work better.

Once you have the BASIC weathering on both then you can glue them. Is time for the washes and filters...and thr last step the sand and dust pigments :P

This how I built it, hope this help you :smiling3:

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the advice Polux. I'll question you about 'filters' at a later date;)

I had a few hours today so I've been plodding on with all the PE bits and bobs so here's a few update shots.

View attachment 84546

View attachment 84547

As I'll be using this in a dio I decided to model it with the radio open. The chunky kit doors have been replaced with the Eduard brass ones.

View attachment 84548

View attachment 84549

View attachment 84550

The locker doors, hinges and catches are included in the PE set. They're a bit fiddly but I like them.

View attachment 84551

These things got pretty beat up in the desert so I've been adding some dents and scratches as I've been going along. The bed floor also looked too smooth, wood would probably dry out and crack quite badly in the heat so I took a blade to it and added some deep grain and opened up the gaps between the boards to give them a less uniform appearance. Hope I haven't over done it...

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jason

CSC_0238.JPG

CSC_0239.JPG

CSC_0240.JPG

CSC_0241.JPG

DSC_0231.JPG

DSC_0233.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Jason, keep up the good work, and welcome to the darkside,

just caught up on this one, :rolleyes:

First Name
Jason
Cheers Guys and Gal:smiling3:.

I got the rest of the PE added today to this one today. The second Chevy arrived yesterday so I'm going to break this one down, clean all the greasy fingerprints off of it and put it somewhere safe for now while I get on with the next one. The plan is for this one to only have minimal stowage as it is the radio truck and to have the bed of the second one loaded to the max. I've seen some pics on the net and this seems to be how they operated when on patrol.

Here are a few shots of it mocked up. Might need a bit of filler in a few places but I'll see what it looks like after I prime it.

View attachment 84580

View attachment 84581

View attachment 84582

View attachment 84583

View attachment 84584

View attachment 84585

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0242.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0251.JPG