LRDG Command Cars

T

tommy1drop

Hi Jason nice build and finish buddy, looks great, really like the flat bed base, you cracked that one;)

Tom

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Jason

The LRDG vehicle looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the next installment and the following dio.

Great stuff

Paul

P

Polux

Fantastic work Jason!

Mmm...there's something I can not explain...it has a nice and interesting "tone", different like other models I have seen. I like it.

Just a question....Do you like this new experience? the weathered military vehicles :D

Cheers

Last edited:
First Name
Jason
@ Scott, Paul & Joe. Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments :smiling3:

\ said:
Fantastic work Jason!Mmm...there's something I can not explain...it has a nice and interesting "tonality", different like other models I have seen. I like it.

Just a question....Do you like this new experience? the weathered military vehicles :D

Cheers
I've been playing with the 'tone' of this one a bit Polux. I thought it looked a little 'cold' initially so I tried to warm it up a bit. Used a brown and orange filter all over and then a mix of European dust and African earth pigments to try and add some depth to certain areas. If it's been a success then I'm a happy boy ;)

In answer to your question, my approach to building cars is very clinical. I do some research I add a few bits here and there, a bit of subtle weathering a shiny paint job and I'm done. I really enjoy that.

This is a whole different experience. Many different techniques, many more subjects to model and many more ideas floating around my head. I think this genre allows for a lot more creativity and the whole weathering thing is fascinating to me.

I may be hanging around the Dark side for a while yet ;)

Jason

First Name
Jason
Evening All,

The second Chevy has made it to the bench. I'm going to make some subtle changes to the cab as these vehicles appear in reference pics to be quite individual. The main changes though are going to be to the rear bed. I have replaced the open radio compartment with sheet styrene and am in the process of modifying the wood frame around the top. This seemed to be a common modification for the load hauling trucks.

View attachment 85676

I've been trying various ways of stacking the stowage to make it look convincing and it always looked like a pile of bits just thrown in there. So after some messing about I came up with this.

View attachment 85677

View attachment 85678

View attachment 85679

The MG mount has been moved to the passenger side running board.

View attachment 85680

The supporting structure is made from various shapes and sizes of styrene rod and the tarpaulin is Milliput. It actually has quite a nice texture that doesn't really show in the photos. The whole load is a separate component so it should be easier to paint :eek:

It is still a work in progress but what do you think??

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0373.JPG

CSC_0374.JPG

CSC_0375.JPG

CSC_0376.JPG

CSC_0377.JPG

P

Polux

I think that work looking superb Jason :rolleyes:

Ufff....this dio will be a masterpiece mate ;) great!!

D

Deleted member 3568

It's all looking good to me I too no nothing about weathering so will be pinching your ideas. Oops sorry watching with great interest.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
1st great build on the pinky, Jason, turned out so well , lov all the extra detail added, and the paint

and weathering looks great very well done, :D

great start on this new one as well, like the idea of how you are adding extra gear and tarps looks great, ;)

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just catching up on this one Jason, and some very nice detail going on. Can't wait for more updates.

Have fun, John