LRDG Command Cars

P

Polux

Yeah!!! What a beauty :eek:

Stunning work....very,very clean.

NOw just take your time to paint it ;)

N

noble

That ole girl has a beautiful body, looking good so far keep up the good work.

scott

First Name
Jason
OK Guys I've been doing some shopping!

View attachment 85124

Ordered this set from Johns shop. Cheaper than the Airbrush Co. and very fast delivery :smiling3:

Never used Lifecolor before and I have read conflicting opinions but I have seen some excellent results in various mags so I thought I'd give them a go and I like the fact that they come in sets.

So now I have a problem and I'd like your opinions please...

There was no set colour scheme for LRDG vehicles. Basically the commanding officers were given a free reign over the camo adopted by their patrols. I found a website that has a few examples from the testimony of veterans and I'm not sure which one to go with.

Canadian Sand

View attachment 85119

Disruption

View attachment 85120

Desert Pink

View attachment 85121

Multi Stripe

View attachment 85122

Green Stripe

View attachment 85123

These are the schemes I think I could manage which one do you think would look most effective?

Thanks for looking

Jason

canadian-sand.jpg

disruption.jpg

pink-truck.jpg

multi_striped.jpg

green_stripes.jpg

lifecolor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Polux

The multi stripe looks very diferent and difficult as well O_o

The pinkie is ideal for the dust and sand pigments.

And the green stripe is great for a chipping camouflage.

Err....sorry! I don't want to confuse you :confused:

This one is a model that I have to build someday, and I will choice the disruption I think :eek:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is a bit hard real to pick one i dont mind the Disruption, ;)

the Desert Pink, one would look ok as well, plus the paints you have would do that one,:rolleyes:

B

Bennetts101

Awesome build thread matey.

I think I would chose the 'disruption' layout, really like the look of it

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the input guys! I'm still pondering it, thinking about my own take on the disruption scheme:eek:

I've now started painting this one! So far its had a coat of desert yellow primer which was lightly rubbed down with 1500 and then I made a 50/50 mix of hull red and red brown with a couple of drops of metallic grey and sprayed that around all of the edges that will be chipped!!! I have given those areas a coat of Klear and when that's dry It'll get a coat of hairspray.

View attachment 85150

View attachment 85151

View attachment 85152

View attachment 85153

I think the colour looks fairly close to rusted steel and hopefully it will act as a bit of a preshade as well. Next up is to try and replicate faded wood for the bed and the side planks.

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0295.JPG

DSC_0296.JPG

DSC_0298.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

First Name
Jason
Thanks Polux, hope I can nail it buddy. I know how I want it to look but it's transferring that to the model that may be the stumbling block.

Here's a couple of shots of the camo scheme so far. Gonna leave it for a couple of days now and decide if I'm happy with it or not!

View attachment 85172

View attachment 85173

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0314.JPG

CSC_0315.JPG

G

Graham D

\ said:
OK Guys I've been doing some shopping!View attachment 85466

Ordered this set from Johns shop. Cheaper than the Airbrush Co. and very fast delivery :smiling3:

Never used Lifecolor before and I have read conflicting opinions but I have seen some excellent results in various mags so I thought I'd give them a go and I like the fact that they come in sets.

So now I have a problem and I'd like your opinions please...

There was no set colour scheme for LRDG vehicles. Basically the commanding officers were given a free reign over the camo adopted by their patrols. I found a website that has a few examples from the testimony of veterans and I'm not sure which one to go with.

Canadian Sand

View attachment 85461

Disruption

View attachment 85462

Desert Pink

View attachment 85463

Multi Stripe

View attachment 85464

Green Stripe

View attachment 85465

These are the schemes I think I could manage which one do you think would look most effective?

Thanks for looking

Jason
I use Life Colour, they go on nicely with an airbrush without thinning. If you are using a brush a few thin coats also gives a good finish

First Name
Jason
They're not bad Graham although I had to thin them through my AB but they thin well with tap water. They were fine through the larger nozzle but they did clog a little bit through my 0.3 tip but that aside they do give good results when you get used to them.

I decided to add another colour to the paint scheme, it looks a bit busier now, I think I prefer it... I also got started on the weathering. This is the first time I have used the 'hairspray technique' and it's quite effective. I didn't want to go over the top so the chipping is concentrated where I think most wear would occur and a few dents and scrapes for good measure. The bed floor has had a few oil washes to try and replicate a distressed wood appearance, this might need playing with a bit more. Some of the corners and the chequer plate on the cab floor has been rubbed with a soft pencil to demonstrate fresh wear on the high spots and the whole thing has been given an orange filter.

View attachment 85346

View attachment 85347

View attachment 85348

View attachment 85349

Sorry about the photos, they look a bit washed out.

Left to do is the stowage, the guns, the driver dude and then I'll get started with the pastels. Try and make those tyres look less toy like.

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0325.JPG

CSC_0326.JPG

CSC_0328.JPG

CSC_0331.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Jason, real like this one,well done ;)

after a few washers they will look fine,

First Name
Aaron
I have built this one o.O .b before but I plan on building it a lot of times more.

Yours is really nice the p.e is a great addition and looks worth the work. Thumbs up to your paint scheme.

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the comments Guys.

Just a quick update. I've been doing a bit more weathering on the bed and the seat.

View attachment 85452

Sorry Polux, I stole the oil ring idea from your Secret Trip dio ;)

Just need to rub some graphite over the runners on the bed floor when the final wash is dry.

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0340.JPG

P

Polux

\ said:
Sorry Polux, I stole the oil ring idea from your Secret Trip dio ;)
Yeah! Fantastic! I'm glad if it serve as inspiration and can help you!

The rear floor looks spot on Jason! Simply magnificent ;)

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Yeah! Fantastic! I'm glad if it serve as inspiration and can help you!The rear floor looks spot on Jason! Simply magnificent ;)
I,m with Polux on this one,spot on, :rolleyes: