Malayan Emergency 1/35 scale.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very interesting technique Richard.

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Loving the sealing up, very technical mix of paints Richard.
John, glad you like sealing apart from torching :tears-of-joy: Very simple...everything is acrylic based.

Very interesting technique Richard.

ATB.

Andrew
Not new I'm afraid, Andrew, many river makers use the same technique but different sealing materials.

Cheers,
Richard

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Coming along nicely Richard, interesting watching this come together.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Graeme, lots more layers of groundwork to go before any pouring of resin I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today I thought I'd clean up the rocks and what a scrub it took...

E32.jpg

I got most of the rough texture off and noticed the polystyrene rocks needed another coating of my potion.

E33.jpg

I then did some civil engineering and labour work making the drain concrete channels using thin black mounting boards.

E34.jpg

Time passed so quickly and by the time I finished, 3 hours had gone by. It was really hot today and was melting onto my shorts and had to stop and take a shower to cool off.

E35.jpg

So far it's been 3 showers and still melting so I'll add the pebbles and sand another day.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Modified rifles are excellent. I do like the bridge. Very interesting to see how the river bed is prepared. Is it just clear casting resin you use for the water or do you use a special water resin?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Modified rifles are excellent. I do like the bridge. Very interesting to see how the river bed is prepared. Is it just clear casting resin you use for the water or do you use a special water resin?
Thank you Jim regarding the rifles. They were fun to modify. I use what most modellers who do water or rivers do by pouring clear casting resin and then manipulating the ripples with white glue or clear acrylic.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie, although the groundwork does look like a construction site at the moment but you probably know what's coming up next having done dios yourself.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, the groundwork looks less like a construction or excavation site with the next layer of plaster concoction of cellulose plaster, white glue, water and fine sand. I used polystyrene wedges to prevent the drains from caving in as the glue and plaster set.

E36.jpg

I then saturated the stream bed with diluted white glue and sprinkled fine dirt and granite chips. After they were pressed in I further secured the chips with white glue straight from the bottle and drenched with water from a spray decantor. I sealed it again applying Future with a a pipette.

E37.jpgE38.jpg

While it was still drying I plastered and carved bricks for the corners of the bridge...

E39.jpgE40.jpg

Now just waiting for the whole work to dry then I will proceed to paint the stream bed and add the foliage into the crevices of the rocks and bank.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today, I broke out the airbrush which has seen little use for sometime and gave the base a spray of OD. I concentrated on the streambed and around the rocks and into the nooks and crannies.

E41.jpgE42.jpg

There will be a few more applications of shades and highlights and again another layer of Future to seal all that again.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Very interesting. Certainly looking less like a building site now. Lots of different stages.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Very interesting. Certainly looking less like a building site now. Lots of different stages.
Jim
Thanks Jim, nothing like a bit of make-up and eye shadow to bring it up a stage or two. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today more work done.

I've covered the whole base with an undercoat of paint so when I apply the vegetation on top I won't have to worry about the ground colour.

E43.jpg

If you're wondering about the bottle of Sky, well it was used to highlight some of the stones to give a bluish green tone.

E44.jpg

I spent some time giving the stones each an individual colour tone to break the monotony.

E45.jpg

The scene needs moss as it looks really dry. But I guess once the resin is poured it'll look different.

E46.jpg

One of the things found in our streams are underwater algae and underwater grass. I will be using both brush bristles and hemp or jut. Here I have already primed the brush bristles with green. Apparently the Muslims are cautioned not to buy these brushes as it's made from pigs hair.

E47.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Spent a bit more time on painting the rocks and pebbles. If you see any difference then I think I'm on the right track. I have to do the details now as once the resin goes on there isn't anyway to do corrections.

E48.jpg

Very subtle tones of greens, yellows and white touched here and there to bring out details and texture were applied with a flat brush.

E49.jpg

Some of these stones will be fully submerged or half way in resin as I'm guessing the level for now. We will know when the pouring starts. I don't know if I should pour before i do the rest of the dio or after most is done. If it's before then I will need to mask with cling wrap when done to avoid ruining the water effects. So eager to want to do it before. :hungry:

E50.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking forward to the pour. Hope there are no leaks - resin can find the tiniest of gaps :rolling: The stream bed looks very good. Interesting to see how the weed/algae turns out.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for responding Jim and Scottie.

One good thing is that I haven't lost interest even if there are layers upon layers of weathering and painting. I'm used to oils but am discovering how best to work with acrylics. I can see why some shy away from dioramas as it can be labour intensive and takes you away from actual comforts of plastic modelling. I have just poured over pictures of my hiking days in the jungle and shots of the streams that we often cross for inspiration.

Glad to have you as company.

Cheers,
Richard