Meanwhile, somewhere in Europe

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Though still not too sure about the half track being included (might see about a kubelwagon instead), got another figure to go in (when it's done) a 'billy no-mates' (well, the other 'lookout') sitting up on the hill (top right) with rifle across knees, and the bucket to go with the guy 'dipping' water, plus the rest of the landscape, fire (between the two kneeling guys, one of which is going to be putting another stick on it, plus all the odds and ends.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is a lot going on in a small space.......should hold ones interest very well. I might have to give that water thing a try one of these days. Thanks for the overhead shot.........I was having trouble visualizing the whole concept. Very Nice! :thumb2: Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nothing like a tight scene to focus attention on. Yes perhaps a Kubelwagen might be a good replacement or you'll get questions on how the vehicles got there in the first place. A dead end sign at the beginning of the track would have made life more easier. :smiling6:
Now with the overall shot I can see the scale of things as before without the vehicles and figures I thought the waterfall was Niagara :smiling2: Now I know why you were thinking of cello tape instead of cling wrap.
Looking good so far. It's more interesting to learn as you build and not afraid of mistakes. Not afraid of re-doing a mistake and taking your time is more enjoyable than trying to meet a deadline. If you want a deadline then return to working life I say.;)

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That is a lot going on in a small space.......should hold ones interest very well. I might have to give that water thing a try one of these days. Thanks for the overhead shot.........I was having trouble visualizing the whole concept. Very Nice! :thumb2: Rick H.
Nothing like a tight scene to focus attention on. Yes perhaps a Kubelwagen might be a good replacement or you'll get questions on how the vehicles got there in the first place. A dead end sign at the beginning of the track would have made life more easier. :smiling6:
Now with the overall shot I can see the scale of things as before without the vehicles and figures I thought the waterfall was Niagara :smiling2: Now I know why you were thinking of cello tape instead of cling wrap.
Looking good so far. It's more interesting to learn as you build and not afraid of mistakes. Not afraid of re-doing a mistake and taking your time is more enjoyable than trying to meet a deadline. If you want a deadline then return to working life I say.;)

Cheers,
Richard

I'd got the idea in my head for some time, but with different vehicles - been an education doing this, and TBH, if I was to re-do this, I'd stretch the right hand side of the photo even more, giving me a wider 'uphill' side (at the moment the lorry and/or the half-track just fit between the rock face and the wall - probably leave paint behind!), cut back the rockface and swing it round so that I've got more area in the middle, and less 'lost' to scenery/rocks, and drop the whole thing down, so that the 'downhill' side finished at the top of the base, rather than an inch higher - all that would have made it 'tighter' and given more space in the middle area but then, hindsight and experience are wonderful things! :thumb2: ;)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ordered a schwimmwagen (kubelwagons out of stock) from John today for the 'gap' (along with a lorry for the future Russian dio) hopefully it'll look ok sat in there.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Now got to 'change head' back to vehicle modelling, as this has arrived to fit the gap where the h/t isn't going to be - doubt that the figures or the bicycle will be used in this one though!
1619725782936.png

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The sprue shots of the schwimmwagen - looks a fairly simple build (but fully realise that it can all go South!)
IMG3.jpg
Some more colour 'playing' and it seems that I've sort of got it 'right', can hardly see the join
IMG2.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That BW shot is great, seamless with the back ground Gerry .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gerry

Sorry got behind on this. That's coming on very nicely indeed. Well done.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry

Sorry got behind on this. That's coming on very nicely indeed. Well done.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, still a way to go, as I said, not sure what to do about that corner :thinking: do I pull it, or leave it - if I leave it, it's going to be in my face each time I look at it, to pull it, it's going to be a real pita (I know how much I glued it down!) but must admit that I'm really tempted to re-work it.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Decided that corner has to go - keep looking at it and it's laughing at me, so it's going - 'open dio surgery' taking place!:fearful:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Corner having been worked on, and it's looking like I may be happier with it, though daylight will show up the mistakes!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Daylight arrives and shows up one or two bits needing attention:angry: but not too bad, considering that I was getting in my own light half the time I was working on it (won't fit on the bench) roadway is now wider - luckily I'd had to mask off the edge, so just removed the mask - slope is now consistent with the photo, and follows a natural line on the photo (seemed to be one all the way across, which is one reason that I put the landscape to the level it is).
IMG_20210503_071550470~2.jpg
IMG_20210503_071455179.jpg
IMG_20210503_072634212~2.jpg
Just need to get the last couple of areas done, and get the paint colours right.

Last edited: