MENG - T90A (This is going to take a while.....)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I've been battling away at the upper deck for what seems like half my life........... and it is really trying both my patience and my limited skills. There are so many "itty bitty" bits of detail, and every bit seems to ping out of the damn tweezers, so I spend more time trying to find them than I do building. I'm wondering if I've bitten off a big chunk of "I'm going to throw this f**king thing at the wall" ......... I've spent three evenings trying to assemble the headlamps and I'm nowhere close.........

Perhaps I should just stick to motorbikes. I can build those, and make a fair job of it. I guess it's got something to do with knowing how they work......

D

dougie

\ said:
I've been battling away at the upper deck for what seems like half my life........... and it is really trying both my patience and my limited skills. There are so many "itty bitty" bits of detail, and every bit seems to ping out of the damn tweezers, so I spend more time trying to find them than I do building. I'm wondering if I've bitten off a big chunk of "I'm going to throw this f**king thing at the wall" ......... I've spent three evenings trying to assemble the headlamps and I'm nowhere close.........
Perhaps I should just stick to motorbikes. I can build those, and make a fair job of it. I guess it's got something to do with knowing how they work......
Nope nope nope.

're-group and have a good think and ask the guys for advice, I put money on you pulling it off and the end result being great. Take a small break but don't put the kit away!

S

steve scan

Keep at it, it will be worth it, I felt the same when I started doing my Russian armour mainly Trumpeter but I just relaxed and treated each piece as a kit of its own I even enjoy individual tracks now and the T90 looks superb.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Courtesy of Gautama Buddha - It is better to travel well than to arrive, plus There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.

J

John Rixon

Stick with it Peter! Can I suggest a technique I use for tiny PE parts? A small blob of fresh, but warm BluTac on the end of a cocktail stick, moulded to required shape, pick up the offending sub-atomic part gently, then (assuming you are using Mr Cement or Tamiya thin) offer it up to its final place and gently touch the joint with cement, a couple of seconds is usually a safe time to pull away the cocktail stick, and voila! I fixed dozens of minute (2.5mm) flat brass-etched scuttle hatches to the deck of my ongoing Dreadnought using this technique, it saved my sanity! Needless to say I use it all the time with styrene parts now:smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks Fellas for your support. It's all much appreciated ............. I've decided to leave it for this week and get back on it with a clear perspective at the weekend.......... I've spend the last few evenings reading, and that's been a great distraction.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Thanks Fellas for your support. It's all much appreciated ............. I've decided to leave it for this week and get back on it with a clear perspective at the weekend.......... I've spend the last few evenings reading, and that's been a great distraction.
If its any consolation Peter, I've struggled with an aircraft that nearly made the bin twice, seriously! A short break and tinkering on something easier has left me fit for the final furlong (you gotta love alliteration!!!) and I'm now decalling it up like a goodun'!

It is easy to forget how much deep concentration is required for many stages of this hobby, and we all know that we're not always able to conjure this up. What I do know is though, stick to one at a time!!!! Spitfire, Matilda Tank and Dreadnought - what was I thinking about?:eek:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
If its any consolation Peter, I've struggled with an aircraft that nearly made the bin twice, seriously! A short break and tinkering on something easier has left me fit for the final furlong (you gotta love alliteration!!!) and I'm now decalling it up like a goodun'!
It is easy to forget how much deep concentration is required for many stages of this hobby, and we all know that we're not always able to conjure this up. What I do know is though, stick to one at a time!!!! Spitfire, Matilda Tank and Dreadnought - what was I thinking about?:eek:
I only ever attempt one at a time John.........I really think, if I had more than one on the go I'd lose what little sanity I have left. :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
About time I called back to this. Great work Peter, the lower hull looks great as do the tracks and wheels, nice work on the engine too, pity most will not be seen.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I only ever attempt one at a time John.........I really think, if I had more than one on the go I'd lose what little sanity I have left. :D
I tried this and got in such a muddle, forgetting where I was with builds and loosing bits...stick to one at a time...even that goes wrong from time to time:D

J

John Rixon

Yup, agree with all here! I think that the only thing I'll allow myself to do side by side is basic assembly, by far the majority of my time is spent on painting / weathering etc, especially now I've decided to stick to brushes.

B

Benhur

This looks a great build. I just dont have the patience for tracks with so many individual parts. For small bits that I tend to lose as they ping out of the tweezers I bought some sticky things. Basically a stick with a blob of something tacky on the end. Total waste of money. They for me just don't work. One was too sticky and another appeared to have lost all its stickness.

Looking forward to the rest of the build and seeing pics. Well done for keeping going.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
love the camo work the colours really pop

S

steve scan

Looking great very nice camo job, starts to look the part once you get some weathering on it.

P

Paulali

very tidy work,i might venture into military stuff,who makes the kit Peter?

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Looking great very nice camo job, starts to look the part once you get some weathering on it.
Thanks Steve for your comment. Much appreciated.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
very tidy work,i might venture into military stuff,who makes the kit Peter?
This is the Meng T90A..... Meng make superbly detailed kits and they go together well. In my opinion they put Tamiya into the second division.

P

Paulali

\ said:
This is the Meng T90A..... Meng make superbly detailed kits and they go together well. In my opinion they put Tamiya into the second division.
thanks for the info Peter