Mickc’s Tamiya 1/48 DH Mosquito FB MkIV GB

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey.... only looked away for a short while..... and missed LOADS!!!:dizzy:
Excellent stuff Mick,the cockpit looks superb:cool:!!
You`re going to finished before i even START mine by the looks of it!!:tears-of-joy:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking better every day. Always good when the paint starts to fly.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Mick!

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Another chore free day so more paint. Really pleased with the Top Notch masks but the instructions were a little on the confusing side, probably because it shows reverse colour schemes and not too detailed around the cockpits. That said there was no bleed under them and they remove nice and clean

866C9095-8BC0-4104-8F23-44A9F1CFD694.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Loving that a lot Mick.

Keep up the great work

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking fine in all her best clothes there Mick.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mick
That is looking a top job. Those Eduard masks really have worked a treat.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nicely done so far Mick!!

Keep up the great work.

Andrew
Thanks for keeping with this one Andrew
Taking shape nicely I ended up with a bit of filler in mine too, cockpits looking well.
Cheers Mark, I prefer the design of the F-16’s I’m building, no top seam
Blimey.... only looked away for a short while..... and missed LOADS!!!:dizzy:
Excellent stuff Mick,the cockpit looks superb:cool:!!
You`re going to finished before i even START mine by the looks of it!!:tears-of-joy:
Thanks pal, marvellous what I can get done when it’s quiet here
Looking better every day. Always good when the paint starts to fly.
Many thanks for keep looking in, hopefully clear coat tomorrow but swmbo gets back
Looking fine in all her best clothes there Mick.
Thanks Tim,such a great looking aircraft
Hi Mick
That is looking a top job. Those Eduard masks really have worked a treat.
Thanks Jim, Eduard on the cockpit and Top Notch on the rest plus a bit of my homemade bits

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was thinking at first it might have been a 2nd TAF thing, that being a law unto itself when it came to markings, mainly in an effort to stop US 8th AF fighters attacking its aircraft.

Then I thought it might be because No.487 (RNZAF) Squadron operated its Mosquitoes at this time primarily as night intruders, though it did undertake daylight operations, one of which resulted in this aircraft suffering Cat.E damage (written off).

Then I thought, how many wartime Mosquitoes have I seen with underwing roundels (apart from the prototypes)?

I can't access anything not on this computer at the moment, but I have a suspicion that underwing roundels may not have been a requirement for Mosquitoes.

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I was thinking at first it might have been a 2nd TAF thing, that being a law unto itself when it came to markings, mainly in an effort to stop US 8th AF fighters attacking its aircraft.

Then I thought it might be because No.487 (RNZAF) Squadron operated its Mosquitoes at this time primarily as night intruders, though it did undertake daylight operations, one of which resulted in this aircraft suffering Cat.E damage (written off).

Then I thought, how many wartime Mosquitoes have I seen with underwing roundels (apart from the prototypes)?

I can't access anything not on this computer at the moment, but I have a suspicion that underwing roundels may not have been a requirement for Mosquitoes.
Many thanks for that Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Steve. I couldn't find anything that said why the Mossie did not gave them and as you I could only find prototype photos of them with roundels.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Mick!!! Nice smooth camo and clean work all around Buddy. Amazing what man can accomplish with a little free time at the bench, between naps, that is. I feel you about decals as looking at mine, they do scare me quite a bit too. Drive on Sir!!!....

I checked my paint schemes and they show no roundels on the underside either. Thanks for the info Steve....

Prost
Allen

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Mick,
Looking mighty fine mate.
Thanks Scottie appreciate that
Wow Mick!!! Nice smooth camo and clean work all around Buddy. Amazing what man can accomplish with a little free time at the bench, between naps, that is. I feel you about decals as looking at mine, they do scare me quite a bit too. Drive on Sir!!!....

I checked my paint schemes and they show no roundels on the underside either. Thanks for the info Steve....

Prost
Allen
Many thanks Allen, the naps are an integral part of my routine Decals are always my nemesis, no matter how calmly I approach the placement one little touch too far and in comes the panic

Thanks for dropping in mate

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Another markings question if I may, unfortunately your answer might be too late for me but might help others.
6BEE2F16-56E8-4A96-813B-654258EED141.jpeg
This is my build and it’s in regard to the aircrafts ID. I’ve already done the top image but noticed the letters reverse in the next image with EG coming first, the other options in this kit use 2+1 on both sides, is this an error on Tamiya’s part?
Thanks

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
My instructions for the mkIV b/pr are the same layout and Ian M has done he's like that so if it's wrong we're all wrong!