Modifying a 1/16 Dragon British Airborne Figure

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys...much obliged with all the lovely comments.

Jon, yes the reference on the missing chevron was repeated everytime the left shoulder of the smock was shown saying it was practised by both the divisions to only have rank and markings on one side of the sleeve.
Jimbo, that minimises the work and I can go straight to painting.
Peter, yup...priceless for me and it has gained some weight literally. :smiling3:
Steve, soon I'll change the fliter from B/W to colour. :smiling6:...my palms are already perspiring thinking of the painting ahead.
Fernando, I'm hoping the mods can't be seen and need picture reference of a pre-mod state to see the difference when judged.

I'm cutting pretty close but hope to finish this by competition time end of June. The Penang show is the only time to compete with international judges and looking forward to show this to Calvin Tan and get his feedback.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
SPLENDID.... the look and the "movement" of the figure are stunning...also you placed the gear in a very accurate/natural way....u are portraying DDAY paratrooper or Arnhem??

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Mick and Greg,

The paratrooper can either be DDay or Arnhem as the equipment and Mk V Sten were used from DDay onwards. There is a distinct difference as the toggle rope was seen used on DDay by 6th Airborne Division where else the leg holster was particularly a favorite of the 1st Airborne Division and highly prized by other units. As you know the 1st Airborne took part in Arnhem. Both Divisions at this point would have been issued the second pattern Denison smock although the 1st pattern would still be retained by some old salts from the 1st Airborne and would have been faded with tapered sleeves , knit cuffs and lack of wrist tabs. Dragon has given the figure a mix of both. It has the 1st pattern half zip but no knit cuffs, a new entrenching tool fit for Arnhem or DDay.

I'm more of a DDay buff so its a DDay paratrooper from 6th Airborne with a self acquired leg holster. Squadron & Signal back page features a lieutenant wearing one.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Richard stunning modification work and the pistol pics on page one have answered a nagging question I've had for a while :thumb2:.
Pete.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, thanks. Glad that sorted your nagging question...what was it?

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter, thanks. Glad that sorted your nagging question...what was it?

Cheers,
Richard
Hi I'm building a 1/35 desert diorama and two of the tank crew have holsters with a ring at the top front edge and was not sure what it was, may be it's a securing ring ??? But no it's a cleaning rod so will have to get the hairy stick out, plus better add some colour to the shell casing in that small pocket to.
Thanks Pete.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow Peter...at 1/35 and there are cleaning rods on the holsters. Would like to see it if you can post a picture after you're done.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5819

Wow Peter...at 1/35 and there are cleaning rods on the holsters. Would like to see it if you can post a picture after you're done.

Cheers,
Richard
PM sent with pic's.
Pete,

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, while I was busy with my Pacific dio figures I managed in between to fashion brass tabs for the straps. The eyelets were punched with a pre drilled plastic rod.

P29.jpg

I also added the canvas over the bullet casings on the holster...no photos though.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Back to my paratrooper after the show starting with the base painting and the 80% finish I did for the show. I will continue with the painting in of the highlights and shadows and hope to improve it.

P30.jpg P31.jpg

The first pictue show the base colours applied with an airbrush to save time. Then I worked on the flesh tones...apparently not enough as seen by the master painters at the show. They were more adventerous with the tones.

P32.jpg P33.jpg

There'a amarked difference when the camouflage is applied and dark washes lined in. I spent so much time adding the Sten strap that I didn't bother with the base groundwork.
Well...my bad , so I'll try to improve from here on tinkering with the tones so look out for the improvements as I experiment.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jon, thanks. I had a hard time with the camo as they are not supposed to overlap pockets or at joints. Apparently they were stitched like patch work from different pieces cut from painted fabrique. The earlier patterned smock dyes used to fade horribly. The second pattern not as much.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nice indeed Richard. Looked good in the show photos as well.

Interesting to hear that you had a hard time with the camo - good to know it's not just me! Not only do we struggle to paint the pattern, there is also the disruptive element of patch pockets and seams to have to think about.

Peter.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Outstanding. Not sure how you can make it look better but I shall watch on avidly:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter and Steve, thanks...although the judges didn't bat an eyelid over it. :tired:

Peter, the camo problem was only difficult until I got a hang of it. It was more of where to start.
Steve, I will be trying...I just need to decide on direction of light source.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jimbo, need to breakout my brushes and paint and get the juices flowing...but it's the World Cup first and Wimbledon finals to get over.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Personally speaking Richard i think you have created a wonderful paratrooper.From the detail and improvement of the kit to the painting.Think you have done the camo justic as well.I really like this figure.Ive judged at shows and i wouldnt have passed it by.
Very well done and something to be proud of.
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
So kind of you Richard for the lovely comment. I am glad you like it. It is inspiring and given me an interest to take figure sculpting and painting more seriously. I'm gradually improving on the sculpting area and need to push my painting abilities higher. The recent show has shown me that there is another level and it is achievable.

On judging, some have said that it would have stood a better chance in Japan as they have a preferrance to realism as opposed to forced perception on tones and lighting (the wow factor). Figure painting has evolved tremendously in the last 2 to 3 years and there will be new techniques and styles to come. I am happy with what I have done but I'd like to see if I can go further.

Cheers,
Richard