Monogram Packard Boattail Speedster - 1/24 scale

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Having spent the few weeks since completing my SS-100 & 88mm build on various odds and ends I thought it was time to start another blog. I had a root around in my quite small stash and found this. It was one of three cars kits I bought very cheaply a few years ago. The kit is actually hard to get hold of now and goes for quite high prices. The kit dates from 1975 and was part of a series produced by Monogram of classic cars in museums.
P1060332.JPG

A very brief background to the car. Packard produced its first car in 1899. In 1930 the model 734 was introduced in 5 different body styles including the Boattail Speedster. Only 150 734s were made of which 39 were Boattails. They cost $5200, the price of a nice house. A Ford Roadster cost $460 so the Packard was aimed at the very wealthy. The car was powered by a 6.3lt straight 8 cylinder engine producing 145hp. The car was capable of over 100mph. With drum brakes, cart spring suspension and the technology of the time it must have been quite a ride :rolling:. In 2019 one was sold at auction for $2million!!

P1060334.JPG
Very basic instructions.

P1060335.JPG
A chromed sprue which will be stripped and repainted. A quite nice 2 piece body.

P1060336.JPG

I hope a few of you will feel it is worth a look in. Comfy seating is available which respects social distancing and masks should be worn except when partaking of the refreshments - tea, coffee, choccie biccies and if the missus gets her finger out, home made cake.

Jim

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Home made cake? Not carrot cake I hope, not that I mind carrot cake, but there are principles involved.....(And it's better than that one made with tinned tomatoes....)
I'm in.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Just looking at the last picture, is that seperate whitewalls for the tyres?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
JIm,
that's very nice looking! I've been searching the internet, trying to find classics cars of this era - and unless you have deep pockets, there is not a lot around - The Matchbox Packard & Rolls Royce go for around £50 each, and your Monogram beauty goes for a little less, but with a horrendous p&p add on from the US. Even the humble Airfix 1/32 classic cars are reaching high prices, I've lost count of ebay auctions bids I've placed ( and lost ) on cars over the past month or so, and to date I've only won one! ( Matchbox Auto-Union ). I think eventually my patience will pay off.
I actually sat down & wrote a list of 30's classic car makes ( Cord, Duesenberg, Oldsmoblle etc ) & did internet model searches on them - loads of hits, but no actual models for sale!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a classic Classic automobile Jim, and lucky to have one in your stash. I've got my mask on...its going to be a mess trying to eat cake with it. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yorkshire tea perhaps? And a generous slice of the missus cake when she gets it built.........on a separate thread I'm told. I always was a sucker for the "boat tail" look so I'm definitely in. Rick H.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
going to enjoy following this one

i hope the biskwits are hobnobs?.....and i take my tea NATO Standard lol

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
That looks like a very typical 70's car kit Jim

Horrible chrome plate, chunky wire wheels and a bit simplified

Interesting to see the multi colours like Matchbox - the few car kits I did in the past tended to be just plain white and chrome

I shall tag along

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jim this motor looks to be a cracker an ive always liked these big fancy cars from a bygone eara as it must have been wonderfull to be on the open rd an drive something like this with all those horses gallopin away under the bonnet an the sleek design of this car WOW for me but exscuse my ignorance on this but why do you need to rub off all the crome as to me this is what makes a model like this an its shown on the box top
ATB chris

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Very pleasantly surprised by all the interest. I do appreciate it :thumb2:
Karl - the cake is date and walnut and the tyres do have separate whitewalls.
Dave - most of these kits that are for sale are from the US and postage is horrendous. I got this and two other cars for £10 + postage.
Richard - welcome to the fun. It won't come close to your painstaking micro work.
Scottie - nice to see you. Enjoy the cake 'cause the build will almost certainly be slow.
Rick - the boattail styling of those classics is very nice. I'll chase up the missus on the cake.
Paul - you can't beat a Hobnob or six :tongue-out3:
Chris - here for the cake. If the build goes off track just cut another slice. The chrome is very thick and obscures what detail there is. It is also very shiny and to my eyes looks 'out of scale' if that makes sense. Also a lot of the parts on the chrome sprue are actually aluminium.
Simon - the chrome is terrible, thick and odd looking. The sprue is already stripped. Used this for the first time and it worked a treat. All done in about 15 minutes. Actually the spokes are not too bad once the chrome is gone and I don't have access to your trained spiders for any respoking - it's beyond me.
P1060359.JPG

Thanks again guys.
Update next.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A bit of an update.
Started on the engine. The cars that are left are in concours condition and the engines are spotless. A couple of examples.
engine 2.jpg

engine.jpg

No wiring and the spark plugs were poorly moulded and a couple had snapped off. Scratched plugs, leads and the tube thing.
P1060349.JPG

P1060350.JPG

P1060351.JPG

P1060352.JPG

P1060353.JPG

Jim

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Cracking start, looking at the 1/1 picture you notice nice touches like the dip stick being positioned so you don't need to open the bonnet. I also wonder how often the owner does a complete rebuild looking at that firewall.
If you need an excuse to do no weathering you have one.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jim. Very nice I almost bought one of these in 1/32 scale your doing a fine job as always

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looks a nice kit Jim. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Nice start on the engine

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love this Jim , I remember these when they were first released and drooling over them in ads in the airfix magazine . I did get one of the classic monogram cars back then but it was the Cord 812 , a beautiful machine , wish i could get one for reasonable money now . The Packard boat tail is a fantastic looking car , even better is the Auburn boat tail speedster ( another kit thats like rocking horse s**t !) . A few years ago I came across a full size one inside a small shopping centre at Rubicon marina , Playa blanca Lanzarote , just sitting there . It wasnt exactly concourse condition but it looked sensational .It must have been a replica as it would have been way too valuable to be left in the middle of a shopping centre for anyone to climb all over !

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in, looks like I shall have to sit in the hall as your modelling room is overflowing.
Strong tea and cake please.
I fear the idea of not having to do any weathering, mind your with your neatness you will be ok.
That shot of the plugs , is the lower part a hex plastic rod ? Looks really neat.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Get in line JR, the cake goes first to those who have been here the longest.............mind you, there might be a crumb or two left over.:tongue-out3:
Rick H.

• Sad
Reactions: JR