My Afghan Dio

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I have decided to take a crack at a diorama.......... I've never built one so It might well be rubbish. But we will see. I have a few bits and ideas ready. I have a 1/48 Airfix Supacat Jackal, 1/48 Airfix House and Colin (Member CDW) has kindly provided me with 4 "squaddies" to go along with it. I figure maybe the dismounted troops taking an interest in the house........... At 1/48 Scale the Jackal is only 5 inches long so it'll be on quite a compact base probably 12 inches square. I'll be starting right after I finish the motorbike in the Summer GB and I've got some research still to do ...... About a week or so. So I'll post some photos and progress as I go.....

View attachment 66376 View attachment 66377

Peter

View attachment 67459

View attachment 67460

jackal.jpg

house.jpg

C

CDW

I'll be keeping an eye on this .... I like seeing a dio come together, you can have just as much fun putting it all together as you do making the kit up.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looking forward to this Peter and I'm 100% sure your dio will be great the 1st one I did was very "average " and are not the best now but with each one improvements are made and my confidence grows practice makes perfect as they say lol anyways good luck with it when you start cheers John

P

Polux

Seems very interesting, and like Colin, love to see the dioramas come together!!

Good luck with it!! And keep the pics coming!

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wo hey! Another diorama convert.....Nice one Peter.

I did something similar for a G.B. on here. I don't like posting my pickies on other folks threads, but if you care to wander over to my started threads, you will find it on pg.4 'An unfortunate incident' and further down a thread on building an Afghan house for nothing.....

These might be of some help to you with your own first dio. A small shed perhaps and a wall? Please don't think I'm being pushy or 'owt, I just want to try and help you with what I'm sure will be a cracker of a build anyway - without me sticking my dippy in!

Just take your time and enjoy your first foray into this fun filled side of our hobby......

It's my turn to be on the front row with a big bucket of popcorn.....Bring it on Pete!

Ron

First Name
Andy
Hi Peter,

I'm with everyone else, looking forward to seeing this come together, especially the Jackal, I would like to build one of them one day myself, I think your in the right place with it being your first dio too, with all the dio masters that are in here...:clap_1:

I think I might squeeze between Colin and Ron with the popcorn...

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I just had a look at your "Unfortunate Incident" Dio Ron........ and That is superb.

..... and now I have some "big players" watching this ................ I'm wondering if I might have bitten off a big chunk of something that is going to take some chewing. I should have just kept this one to myself :poster_oops:

Peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steady on Peter......Again...To quote my hero, Oddball....."Too many negative waves, baby!"

In my book the only way to approach dioramas is to jump in feet first - first time or not. I only wanted you to have a look at mine to get some ideas, and in no way was I trying and put the wind up you and I sincerely hope I haven't....

We are all 'good muckers' on here, and as such we try as best we can to help one and other....

So spit out that cheap stuff you are trying to chew......get a nice 'T' bone, easy chew steak, a glass of summat nice, and get stuck in......and let the ideas flow and just have fun.

You will discover your diorama technique will be different to anyone else's, so don't compare, or worse, copy....Insanity will surely follow!

Ask anyone on here who's had a go at dioramas and they will all agree. That's just what they are...Fun. Keep that in mind when you make a start.....

Cheers,

Ron

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
This'll be good. I built the Jackel for a GB and it goes together really well.

Have fun with it mate.

Tony.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks all for your comments and support on this................ I guess I'll get going on the Jackal for starters. I'll make a start over the weekend.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well I took an hour to sit and study the "destructions" and take a look at the kit............. and first of all, I didn't realise just how small this thing is and respectively just how tiny some of the components are ......... The suspension parts look so delicate and ripe for being eaten by the carpet when the "ping" off into oblivion........... I worked on the build programme for the Jackal so inevitably I've found some inconsistancies. The recommended seat colour is wrong, Airfix have it as Khaki but they are a sort of buff colour. However, that might clash a bit with the "Light Stone" of the bodywork. I'll see, maybe I'll just go with the Khaki as a contrast ............. Then their is the tyre tread pattern, and probably a few more as I go;Some I might correct, others I'll just live with............ But right now I'm on the lookout for a more powerful magnifying glass ......... This is going to be a challenge.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well I just spent a while sorting out all the suspension and diff parts for the Jackal (there aren't that many). So far it would seem that this kit is going to be a good fit. I dry fitted the suspension and drive shaft on one side and even though everything is pretty small it all seems to fit together really well .......... The plastic seems quite soft so it's easy to clean up, there is pretty much no flash and the only "sticky bit" was one of the v shaped arms was fixed on the sprue on the insides and that took a little while to clean up......... The front and rear diffs are together and I'm waiting on them to dry properly before I move on.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well I've made a start on the Jackal ........... It's been a bit slow. Work has been manic over the last two weeks and I've just been too damn tired to do much else. Suspension, wheels and Hull are done pretty much......... It'll get a final coat once the top deck and sides are on.

View attachment 66774 View attachment 66775 View attachment 66776 View attachment 66777

I have been dithering between brushing or spraying this one........... and decided as it's quite a small model with nothing much in the way of large flat panels I'd brush it.............. I mixed the colour myself. The Jackal is painted "light Stone" and I scammed a bracket we had spare at work from the build and matched the colour pretty much "spot on" ..........

Peter

View attachment 67839

View attachment 67840

View attachment 67841

View attachment 67842

DSCF2201.jpg

DSCF2202.jpg

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noble

Nice start, will be keeping an eye on the build nice idea.

scott

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Good start Peter, looking good. Dios are great, you can add more stuff if needed.

Si:smiling3: