My Afghan Dio

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I've made a bit more progress with the Jackal, not a lot ............... But now I'm off work for a week so I should crack-on with it now.

As I put in my earlier post the seats on the Kit paint plan are shown as Khaki, on the Jackal they are actually a "Buff Colour"............... The "Buff" sort of disappears a bit into the main vehicle colour. So should I stick with the "Buff" that I know is more authentic or should I use "Khaki" which will give some contrasting colour ??? .... Admittedly they've only had one coat and are sort of perched in their but you get the idea.

Peter

First Name
Jason
Ooh, a week in the man cave. Lucky boy!

Nice work so far Peter. Regards the seat colour I'd probably stick with authenticity.

Jason

C

CDW

Another one for authenticity here, don't get too anal with it though (you'll not know when to stop) :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Anyway a very nice start and looks good so far.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks fellas ............. and there is absolutely no chance of me getting "Anal" with it Colin :smiling3:

Peter

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good buddy cant wait to see more

P

Polux

That's looking great so far mate!!

Don't worry about the color now, with a brown or umber wash this will change, to be perfect.

Cheers. Polux

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I've managed to make a little progress this week ....... I'm well over the halfway mark now. I've been doing a little weathering, wear and tear and general "grubbiness" as I go,.......... I've never been, but I can imagine Afghanistan is tough on the vehicles as well as our troops. Rear doors have been fitted and taken off again. They keep swinging open when I pick the thing up, and I didn't want to bust anything.............. I've lost track of how many times I've repaired the bl**dy suspension 'cos I've busted it while handling the model........ I was considering leaving it and doing a "crashed Jackal" dio.

Jerry Cans, Tarp Roll and Large Pack are from the Tamiya Jerry Can Set ......... and I have a few Bergens and small packs to adorn it with later.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
That's looking great so far mate!!Don't worry about the color now, with a brown or umber wash this will change, to be perfect.

Cheers. Polux
Quite right Polux ............. it's always a bit of a thing to see the highlights and colour changes with a wash.

Peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking really good Peter. It's one go anywhere type of vehicle isn't it? The extras go nicely too.

Regarding 'Authentic' colours, keep in mind, because you are doing a diorama, the 'A' word goes out of the window to some degree.

Good observation on the weathering. Your vehicle will have been dusty, bent, sun bleached, not to mention squaddies scuffing everything in sight, so keep this in mind as you progress with the painting. Now't looks worse than a squeaky clean Jackal in Afghanistan...lol

P

Polux

This is coming along very nice!!

Love the detail on the drivers soil, the little weathering, very nice touch.

Looking very good so far.

C

CDW

That's coming together nicely Peter.

If you're having little rants to yourself now... just wait till you start those figures ... ill be able to hear you up here mate :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
That's coming together nicely Peter.If you're having little rants to yourself now... just wait till you start those figures ... ill be able to hear you up here mate :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
I started on them last night......... They now all have legs

C

CDW

Joking aside ....

What do you think of them? I got so frustrated with them when I used them in the dio, didn't know if it was just me with my negative waves on airfix.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Joking aside ....What do you think of them? I got so frustrated with them when I used them in the dio, didn't know if it was just me with my negative waves on airfix.
To be honest Colin. They are going to be a bit of a mission. Fixing the arms on so that they can hold a weapon is a trial. I've tried one and to be honest I gave up........ I'll have to have a re-think. They are also going to take some cleaning up and I'm going to have to do some filling and one or two adjustments as they won't be wearing any of the bergens or packs that their backs have recesses for. What I have planned if I can pull it off is for one of them to man the .50 cal gun on the Jackal and the other three to be dismounted.......... But, I don't give up easily. It's me versus plastic.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
A wee bit more progress............ and this is as far as it'll get for a week as we are off on holiday tomorrow........ Iput a bit of damage on the rear door Ron (good advice).......... Bent it a bit and some red oxide primer on the hinge frame, repair "a la squaddie" (not totally happy with that so I might have to re-do it) ............

Peter

P

Polux

It's a very interesting vehicle, and your weathering is looking genial so far!

Cheers

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
It's a very interesting vehicle, and your weathering is looking genial so far!Cheers
Thanks for your kind comment Polux ............ I'm really quite happy with the result so far. The Kit is really quite a pleasure to build, everything seems to fit so well. The only problems have been of my making. ......... Having looked at the pictures again I really think I've over done it with the drivers side rear door ....... I think it'll have to come off, have a rub-down and start again.

Peter.

C

CDW

Looks good to me too ... I don't think its too over done to be honest, it'll be lost in any further weathering you do to blend it all in.

As far as the figures.... ill only appologise for giving you a headache :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think your weathering is spot on Peter. Doubt there is going to be any even wear on doors etc on such a machine. Great job so far mate.