My first Diorama.

B

Backbreaker

HI all thought I'd share a build that is currently on my bench, its my very first dio that I'm building a part of a group build.

Its Dio of a King Tiger somewhere in Stavelot (Battle of the Bulge), entitled "PAYBACK".

Here's the basic idea.

Later Joolz.

B

Backbreaker

More of the build. Sorry chaps Photo heavy!!

A Bazooka team is going to be posted in the upstairs window waiting to pounce.

Give me your honest opinion.

Joolz.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is truly amazing. The detail even at this early stage is quite outstanding. Best of all it is scratch built which allows the imagination to run riot, and by heck have you done just that!

My sincere congrats.

Ron

N

noble

This is superb mate the detail is outstanding and to echo spanner it is all scratch built i love it keep it going mate.

scott

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
:shocking: I'm with the rest here, just outstanding. I'm looking forward to this thread.

Great work Backbreaker, John

B

Backbreaker

Many thanks for the kind words!:tropthy: means alot!

So much to do what next?

Oh yes casting some pavements.

I worked out where they needed to be, and what thickness.

Used grease proof paper (UK) to trace the shapes.

After transferring the shapes to a spare board i used plasticine to make the mould face.

Used different shapes of balsa to transfer the design to the plasticine.

Built shuttering around the moulds and added a PVA, plaster, bandage mix to the mould.

A little bit of dressing and distressing and getting there.

Oh by the way started to paint the buildings and arch with a mix of builders caulk, pva, plaster and water mix.

Next to cast a cobble street using the same method but 1/2 the thickness and with a camber. Nothing like making work for ones self.

The camber in reverse .

My 1st attempt at making a creeper that will daub the walls of the bombed out garage to the left of the scene.

Later Joolz.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Simply stunning! i was gobsmacked when i saw the polystyrene walls but when i looked further down and saw the timberwork and cast pavements WOW! this is outstanding work, well done ,im sure there'll be loads of us glued to this one to see how it progresses (and nick a few ideas too!!!) fantastic! keep it up , cheers tony (ps , FIRST diorama?!!! you must have a day job making movie sets !!!! i only hope my first attempt is a tenth as good as this!)

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Backbreaker

Thanks Tony!

Yes this is my 1st Dio!

:nono:No I don't make movie sets LOL!

I used to teach conservation skills drystone walling, fencing, stile and bridge building, tree planting, tree felling, footpath construction, creating wildlife gardens in schools etc, etc. Then in 2006 I had a simple fall at work and broke my back in 2 places, and I am now registered disabled. Anyhow I started to rediscover an old love "Modeling"! Not having modelled for 29 yrs I was sure rusty to begin with, but hey I can a least afford some big boys toys now.

Here's the results of the cast cobble street I made the same way as the pavements. I tried to recreate a segmented arch pattern that's seen in many European locations, turned out OK me thinks?

Placed on the base. Hmmm looks OK.

Later Joolz.

P

Paul1978

Wow! Truely amazing! Like some of the guys have said, the fine detail at this early stage is impressive. I don't know if i have the patience to scratch build. I'm quite inexperienced to modelling and aspire to produce something of your quality! I completed my first diarama today but it was simply my Tamiya universal carrier Mk.2 on some styrene i cut out and shaped like cobbles on a pic frame. I bought a ruined house diarama by MiniArt a little while back but need to master painting techniques before i start it A million out of ten mate!

Paul

Last edited:
D

dubster72

Thats really top stuff Joolz-I can't believe how much skill & effort you're willing to put in to this in a world where most people just buy the dio stuff. You've opened my eyes to the possiblities, especially with the pavements & cobblestones. Keep it coming & if I may say (I'm sure the others would agree) post as many pics as you can coz that really helps the rest of us learn from what you're doing.

Cheers Patrick

B

Backbreaker

Thanks for the kind words Paul,Patrick!:bigthumb:

This Dio lark is great and the messy parts are the best bit! LOL

Joolz.

1275GT

Hi, I can't add much to what's already been said, but this is really top-notch stuff. Keep it coming as it's a real inspiration for newbies like me !

Cheers, Neil

B

Backbreaker

More of the dio.

Painted the cobbles and pavements a base colour of black and started to dry brush many, many greys and browns.

Started to paint the buildings, I'm about 1/2 way there. Added a light coating of mud to the road, but more on that later. Added some still water to the gutters, most of which will be covered with debris and mud.

Started to add some wall paper to the upstairs and stain the steps on the stairs, added white gloss to the woodwork, still to add loads to the inside of this building.

Used small corrigated cardboard with the paper outer stripped to represent corrigated iron sheets for the roof of the small garage, painted black and then rust colour.

Using more balsa wood to create a damaged roof for the two storey building (not finished yet).

My rubble which is a mix of home made bricks and blocks, sand and cat litter, loads of other items will be added to this, wood, tiles, damaged sections of brick walls, etc, etc.

Been experimenting with mud and just about got it right , which do you prefer? The dio will portray a wet/damp day in early December 1944.

Thanks for looking Joolz.

More later.:bye:

D

dubster72

I love your work on the outside walls & the subtle weathering, it looks so natural. As does the corragated sheets, that's perhaps given me an idea for my next dio! As for the mud, I'd go with the darker shade because it always dries lighter.

Couple of questions for you Julez, where do you get the polystyrene sheets & how do you cut it with such a nice straight edge? A razor saw? My attempts always end up with annoying little balls of styrene all over the place!

You know that the tank & bazooka crew have gotta be good to match the builldings & groundwork!

Good stuff, Patrick

B

Backbreaker

Patrick, I agree with you on the mud, but I just wanted to check, and I'll try my best with the figures and King T. LOL

The foam I use isn't the white foam, like you said "Balls".

The foam I use is high density polystyrene foam, its easy to cut, saw, file, etc. I use a hot wire cutter to make sheets, craft knife or mini saw to cut and files and mini rasps to shape, glues great with pva but i use evostick woodglue, same thing but slightly thicker in consistency and stronger.

This sort of thing I use, but I cut it to approx 1/2 inch thick, so one sheet lasts for a long time.

50mm Thick Modelling Foam 600mmx600mm on eBay (end time 09-Dec-09 19:30:26 GMT)

Cheers Joolz.

D

dubster72

aahhh that was where I was going wrong! I'm using the beaded stuff so no wonder it wouldn't cut too well! Mind you, I did grab it from a pile of rubbish & stuff from a neighbours front garden-taking the cheap route doesn't always work! I'll get some of that foam coz I need to use your techniques for a building in my next dio.

Thanks for the help, Patrick

B

Backbreaker

OK so here we go.

Made some templates of the windows from thin card, to allow me to make frames for each of the windows. Used blue tack to hold the styrene in place.

Some of the finished windows.

I then wanted to recreate a representation of wood lath and plaster for the ceilings. I cut very thin strips of balsa and pushed them into a thin layer of builders caulk and pva mix that I had spread onto a sheet of paper.

After the sheet had dried I gave the upper surface several washes of black to age it.

I also added wall paper to the downstairs, and repainted the wooden skirting boards and door surround a dark mahogany colour. I also added a floor surface to the down stairs. The door was added to the under stairs cupboard as well as adding a coat hanging rack to the wall inside.

Bid a bit more dry brushing to the outside, windows in place.

Still loads to do.

Did a bit more dry brushing of the corrugated sheets, and reshaped them as they had gone a bit flat.

That's all for now folks.

BB.

Any comments are help full.