My Gardening hobby

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This time of the year sees us in the garden most of the time.
Last year I removed the now old wooden structures and regrouped loads of plants .
Recently a new arch was out in, having been treated with Cuprinol 5 Star . The bases were submerged in the treatment for 2 weeks, while that was happening a daily brushing with treatment on the rest of the frames took place .Following all that 3 coasts of Garden Shades in what looks like 4 BO :smiling3:( what else did you expect ? )
Recently with the nesting season well under way I've had a very tame male Blackbird getting nearer most days looking for food.
Now stocked up with mealy worms he comes everyday .
To keep the Starlings at bay I put his food next to me when I have a break .
IMG_20220513_152326515.jpg
Beak full and about to take it home .Then some photos of the garden IMG_20220510_174236005.jpg

IMG_20220502_120420324.jpgIMG_20220502_120346276.jpgIMG_20220502_120341371.jpgIMG_20220502_120259890.jpgIMG_20220502_120256172.jpgIMG_20220502_120243582.jpgIMG_20220508_110556250.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. You have a Beautiful set up there. I like that mini Greenhouse looks good. Your flowers look like there doing well too. It’s finally drying out here so maybe I can get some plants in today. Your friend looks like he trust you as long as you keep the worms for him. I’m surprised you haven’t painted all those Clay pots 4BO. Lol

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Lovely garden. A place that's great to sit back and enjoy. Love the pond, seems to have a fine stock of fish. Wonderful to see that with a bit of quiet patience wildlife can become trusting. To get a garden that nice must take a lot of time and effort.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been in the garden here as well John, yours has a lot less weeds than ours!
We had a very mild and wet autumn and the weeds went mental. Meadow grass everywhere you look.
Your little patch of heaven looks wonderful. Love the pond.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John. You have a Beautiful set up there. I like that mini Greenhouse looks good. Your flowers look like there doing well too. It’s finally drying out here so maybe I can get some plants in today. Your friend looks like he trust you as long as you keep the worms for him. I’m surprised you haven’t painted all those Clay pots 4OB. Lol
The arch is painted in green ! and it looks very much like 4BO.:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you all, as for the weeds its a daily job, clear one section and with in days there are more. Today Mr Blackbird was with me when I back flushed the pond pump, kept hopping about as the water went on to the flower bens. Since then he has been feeding on the table while I had a cup of tea.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice looking garden John. We had our completely ripped out last year right to the bear earth and laying down a new lawn, grass and a new shed shed area.....and we're still in the process of finishing it off. we couldn't afford to have one side of fencing replaced at the time and our man is coming back this week coming to finish it off.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely garden John, I take my hat off to you guys having to rework the garden every Spring. SWMBO would love it...we don't need an excuse of the four seasons for her to overhaul the garden. Lately I have been absent from these duties and hide whenever she puts on her gloves or when new plants get delivered. It got worse when she discovered she could do flowering plants. I used to be in charge of weeding but since we tiled the whole place up I have escaped. Weeds still creep into pots so I have some work cut out for me.
Good to know what you use to treat your wood. SWMBO is looking at some structuring.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice John. I too am spending a lot of time in the greenhouse at the moment. The funny thing is, with our nesting blackbirds, we don't see him much, but Mrs, is always around and definitely the tamer one of the two. the moment I start digging, she's there. watching.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
All looking very nice John. I too am spending a lot of time in the greenhouse at the moment. The funny thing is, with our nesting blackbirds, we don't see him much, but Mrs, is always around and definitely the tamer one of the two. the moment I start digging, she's there. watching.
The same happened last year Colin, I had a female that became so tame she would come to the table while I was sitting and feed . No sign of her this year, another female is very weary and along with another male they stay well away .

He did turn up today , seemed very agitated, kept looking around even when feeding near me . Think he must have young out of the nest , as the clucking sounds are getting more frequent.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Had to buy a new pond filter pump , the old one was 7 years old and has run none stop , don't think that's bad .
New pump is in, much bigger output , far more than I need apart from the length the back flush hose is from the pump .When I fitted this one up I upgraded to pipe size to 40 mm , wow , some difference in the volume of water coming back down the return from the filter housing . Glad this one has a variable out put or the birds would be unable to have a bath as they would be swept into the pond !

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Our energy suppliers (whoever they are at the moment) identified us as high users of electricity. We had a chat trying to work out how this was, then I mentioned the 2000 lph pond pump running 24/7. Yes she said, that's it. Expensive hobby's these pond things.

Reactions: JR