My Gardening hobby

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
When you consider Colin along with the pump 90 W there is the UV clarifier 15 W , an air stone pump another 90 W all running 24 / 7 it soon mounts up .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Belinda gave up on her pond years ago so I told her this year I’m filling it with dirt and planting flowers I’m tired of the nasty leaves in it.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Had to buy a new pond filter pump , the old one was 7 years old and has run none stop , don't think that's bad .
New pump is in, much bigger output , far more than I need apart from the length the back flush hose is from the pump .When I fitted this one up I upgraded to pipe size to 40 mm , wow , some difference in the volume of water coming back down the return from the filter housing . Glad this one has a variable out put or the birds would be unable to have a bath as they would be swept into the pond !
I can see the birds like in those gym videos of people falling from fast treadmills. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
When you consider Colin along with the pump 90 W there is the UV clarifier 15 W , an air stone pump another 90 W all running 24 / 7 it soon mounts up .
That’s only as much as two 100 watt light bulbs John, hardly excessive consumption, and if you’ve turned the flow rate down it will be even less. What’s the string for, by the way?

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Tim, the string is to allow me to get the pump out for cleaning and to keep it off the base of the pond. If the pump sits on the bottom there is more chance of it having Newts try to get inside, even with the reduced mesh. Not bothered really about the electric usage as our panels in this sunny period produce more than we use each week. Unfortunately not so in the winter :crying:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That’s only as much as two 100 watt light bulbs John, hardly excessive consumption, and if you’ve turned the flow rate down it will be even less. What’s the string for, by the way?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Morning Tim, the string is to allow me to get the pump out for cleaning and to keep it off the base of the pond. If the pump sits on the bottom there is more chance of it having Newts try to get inside, even with the reduced mesh. Not bothered really about the electric usage as our panels in this sunny period produce more than we use each week. Unfortunately not so in the winter :crying:
Ah, right. I just sit ours on a brick and pull it up by the outlet pipe. Weirdly it doesn’t have a filter……big outer mesh casing with nothing inside except the pump mechanism. The pump and pond came with the house so I thought the filter had been misplaced by the previous occupants. Checked on line, and that model of pump appears not to have a filter at all. Doesn’t bother the newts though, we get our share, along with plenty of other pond life :smiling5:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Belinda gave up on her pond years ago so I told her this year I’m filling it with dirt and planting flowers I’m tired of the nasty leaves in it.
Turn it into a bog garden.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Indeed. I think we have similar set ups. Which reminds me, I'm off to ebay, I need new UV tubes.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Having water in a garden is real magnet for wildlife and the sound of running water is a bonus when sitting out and enjoying your hard work. I dug a pond when we lived in Scotland - took me three days and nearly killed me. We had all sorts of wiggly bugs and beetles etc and then frogs.
I'm in the middle of my "spring clean up and sort out" in the garden.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Remind any one of a film title.

Put some dried mealy worms out while I was about to glue up on the dio, as a lovely sunny morning.

2022_4.jpg2022_6.jpg
Just shows how near they will come for food, Mr Blackbird is still around, came down this morning.When this lot arrived he was gone.
Surprisingly I noticed the adult Starlings feed any young bird that opens its mouth. So when your surrounded with open beaks you just fill the nearest one.

Going to sit outside and model this morning as its so nice.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Beautiful weather here as well. Gave the car a good clean.
When seen close up in the sunshine starlings are beautiful - I think iridescent is the right word.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well here it is cold, windy and wet. So much for summer!
The birds in your garden are very tame and used to people. We have tons of birds in the garden but they scatter as soon as you go out. Some come back though.
We have a magpie problem at the moment. Surprised how bold they can be! They chase our outside cats away and take the food from them! Also had the dubious pleasure of watching one rip a rather large rat(?) apart to feed its young! I don't know if he caught and killed it or if it was road kill but the woman next door said that she saw it swoop down from a tree and then fly of with it!!
Have also stopped one from taking a black bird young that was very much alive. I know they take dead things but live prey?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Beautiful weather here as well. Gave the car a good clean.
When seen close up in the sunshine starlings are beautiful - I think iridescent is the right word.
Jim
Completely agree Jim. i think they are almost jewel like.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The birds in your garden are very tame and used to people. We have tons of birds in the garden but they scatter as soon as you go out. Some come back though.
We have a magpie problem at the moment. Surprised how bold they can be! They chase our outside cats away and take the food from them! Also had the dubious pleasure of watching one rip a rather large rat(?) apart to feed its young! I don't know if he caught and killed it or if it was road kill but the woman next door said that she saw it swoop down from a tree and then fly of with it!!
Have also stopped one from taking a black bird young that was very much alive. I know they take dead things but live prey?
Unfortunately they will take any meat they can get Ian. They are major predators of songbird nests, as are woodpeckers :disappointed2: It’s one of the reasons decent nest boxes have a metal ring around the entrance….

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice John. It’s been very nice here too enjoying it while I can

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Envious over your weather over there. Just washing the kitty litter bins under the sun and I'm burnt crisp and soaking with sweat or still wearing a T-shirt even when I take it off. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ian .
Most people that have lived in a country setting will hate Magpies. They will go along a hedge row and kill as many young nestlings as they can, often just ripping the head off . A lot of gamekeepers use a Larsen's Traps to catch them and crows. It's the only bird I dislike , and unfortunately we too are seeing them more often.:crying:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, I hope you don't mind me plonking some images of SWMBO's handy work in her garden the size of a postage stamp. Incredible how she can pack so much in...reminds me of my stash collection.
20220607_105126.jpg
She's been mail ordering quite a lot of exotic plants lately...perhaps I should keep up with her...stash wise, ahem.
20220607_105144.jpg20220607_105205.jpg20220607_105214.jpg20220607_105232.jpg20220607_105258.jpg
She's proud of her miniature banana plant.
20220607_105319.jpg20220607_105335.jpg20220607_105354.jpg20220607_105421.jpg20220607_105453.jpg20220607_105508.jpg20220607_105530.jpg20220607_105607.jpg
Now you know why I make a quick escape when she starts gardening...sometimes into the night with her bright lamp on.
Hope you find some familiar plants.

Cheers,
Richard