My Gardening hobby

First Name
Hong
HI John. You have a lovely garden and waterfeature as the centre piece. I'm just curious why the netting over the koi pond? Is it to keep the neighbor's cat out?

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
HI John. You have a lovely garden and waterfeature as the centre piece. I'm just curious why the netting over the koi pond? Is it to keep the neighbor's cat out?
Either the cats or the Herons. It could also be just to stop leaves falling in the pond. If we ever have a propper pond, we will have to net it and put a fence up!
Ducks, geese, heron, seagulls, swans... you name it we get them. The joy of living in the country by the coast! Oh we also have the odd feral mink here and there...

Hopefully John is only pestered by cats, well his fish that is.

• Haha

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Herons here! Slimbridge Wildlife & Wetlands Trust is just down the road, the herons seem to nest by the Severn, but visit local gardens for fast food!
Dave

• Sad

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
They don't just go for ponds...even the urns are game for them...any fish loving birds. We keep replenishing our molly's and rainbow fish.

Cheers,
Richard

• Sad

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, I hope you don't mind me plonking some images of SWMBO's handy work in her garden the size of a postage stamp. Incredible how she can pack so much in...reminds me of my stash collection.
View attachment 455019
She's been mail ordering quite a lot of exotic plants lately...perhaps I should keep up with her...stash wise, ahem.
View attachment 455020View attachment 455021View attachment 455022View attachment 455023View attachment 455024
She's proud of her miniature banana plant.
View attachment 455025View attachment 455026View attachment 455027View attachment 455028View attachment 455029View attachment 455030View attachment 455031View attachment 455032
Now you know why I make a quick escape when she starts gardening...sometimes into the night with her bright lamp on.
Hope you find some familiar plants.

Cheers,
Richard
Wow that's a stunning display Richard. Very good way of displaying, but must take some time to water and general upkeep.
Here in the UK most of if not all would have to be grown indoors , yes I can readily identify the majority. Congratulation to SWMBO from all at Race Towers gardening dept. I would award the dogs, but don't think she or Christine would approve. ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you Hong, kind of you to comment.

Either the cats or the Herons. It could also be just to stop leaves falling in the pond. If we ever have a propper pond, we will have to net it and put a fence up!
Ducks, geese, heron, seagulls, swans... you name it we get them. The joy of living in the country by the coast! Oh we also have the odd feral mink here and there...

Hopefully John is only pestered by cats, well his fish that is.
Ian it's to keep the Heron away.

No cats in the garden, my neighbours cat is too old to make it up the fence, and apart from him we don't see many.

Before the pond was netted a good few years ago we did have a Heron eat 4 reasonably large goldfish in a row. The fifth escaped with beak marks .Since then its been netted, didn't want to but we've got used to it,
unfortunately some of the young Starling haven't and wind up underneath. They all get out luckily.

Just shows how far a Heron will travel, we are at least 2 miles from the nearest river, but see Herons, probably the same one on a tour of the houses looking far an easy meal .

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, thought you'd like a dash of light purple...the water hyacinth has gushed out four full blooms in todays drizzling weather.
20230301_152643.jpg
They last two days most. According to SWMBO they had help from a dash of fertiliser.
Soon it'll be spring and full blooms in your garden.

Cheers,
Wabble

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stunning Wabble , a pity as your good lady says that the blooms only last a few days. Looks very much like an Iris flower in parts. How big are they ?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Stunning Wabble , a pity as your good lady says that the blooms only last a few days. Looks very much like an Iris flower in parts. How big are they ?
Each flower is 2inches in diameter John. It's actually 5 blooms.

Cheers,
Wabble

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Puts my garden to shame - I need a whole range of plants as half of my garden favours shade-tolerant species! Kate gives the orders, I obey, the garden then looks lovely temporarily but I am a very reluctant gardener so the beauty is short-lived! :disappointed2:
Steve

• Sad