New model room

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm sure you've had enough of me moaning about working out in my shed :tears-of-joy: but plans are afoot for me to come in out of the cold.

My initial plan was to build a sturdy, insulated garden/hobby room. I put it on hold when timber prices rocketed, but even now I'd be looking at the thick end of £4k to build and equip what I want, so I've been working on the missus for an alternate.

This used to be our main front room, where the tribe would gather of an evening around the magical moving picture box on the wall. However, some time ago we had a big extension to the rear of the house where we now lounge at the end of the day. That means we've hardly sat in this room for 5 years and it's just become a dumping ground for Thomas's old toys, tiles & stuff for the shower room refurbish, and airing our laundry.

By converting this to a hobby room it'll save a boat load of cash, plus I won't have an extra room outside to heat.

Negotiations have taken some time! but Zoë has eventually agreed with my plans, so it's all systems go :cool:

1000006215.jpg

1000006214.jpg

The idea is to have a bench along the big sofa wall, about 8 foot long, with shelves above & below for storage and display. This will be the main build desk, with an area to the left (near the door) set up for photography.

Another bench will run back along under the TV, mostly for painting, with a proper airbrush booth at the right hand side, where the extraction can go out of the bay window.

Then I'm planning some kind of gate leaf folding table, stored where the small sofa is, that can be pulled out and opened up to the regulation 44" x 60" (I think) needed for my lads wargaming on the odd occasions his mates come over (giving us back our dining table!). There'll also be some overspill storage for his hundreds of painted miniatures, and hopefully he may get into airbrushing if he hasn't got trek down to the shed.

It still means spending a few quid but it'll cost a fraction of constructing a new outbuilding and will ultimately be more comfortable. I'll keep some stuff in the existing shed like my kitchen extractor hood and 50l compressor for any really big, smelly paint jobs, or overly messy diorama work.

I'm really excited! Hopefully the sofas are going to a relative tomorrow, I need to do something about the dire lack of electrical outlets, then make a trip to Ikea for a van full of flat pack :cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great idea Andy, you have a very understanding good lady. Looking fwd to seeing this come together.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I spray lacquers indoors. I have a good quality spray booth venting through an open window. I am careful to work within the spray booth including cleaning the airbrush. I dispose of used kitchen paper etc into sealed plastic bags. My wife works at her sewing/knitting in the same room and doesn't complain. If the weather is reasonable I open the main window for 15-20 mins after spraying and keep the room door shut. I honestly don't think spraying lacquers indoors is a problem providing simple precautions are put in place.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers chaps. I know a fancy pants work space won't make my modelling any better but at least I can be comfy while having fun :smiling3:

Sorry Si!

I just need to tidy up my practices a bit I think Jim. I can get away with being a little sloppy in the shed but I'll have to clean up my act.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We have a weird house Doug :smiling5:

Only 2 bedrooms and a small bathroom upstairs but the downstairs has been extended 4 times (once by us) so we have more than double the footprint and twice as many rooms down there.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's the one thing I personally want when we move, either a dedicated room in the bungalow or a dormer room upstairs.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
So have you got to the grovelling stage of tea in bed, let me put the heating on for you so you do not get your dainty feet chilled in your size 14 slippers......
I know about the shed, mine is slowly reverting to being just a lowly shed instead of a cave... :tired:
Looking at your room I would as you say use the long wall for your bench, but turn the alcoves into display cabinets with drawers under the right hand one and your spray booth to the right of the window keeping it away from all items that attract spilled paint....

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Cheers chaps. I know a fancy pants work space won't make my modelling any better but at least I can be comfy while having fun :smiling3:

Sorry Si!

I just need to tidy up my practices a bit I think Jim. I can get away with being a little sloppy in the shed but I'll have to clean up my act.
True, we can but dream of glory and excellence, plus winning the lottery and then we could have our desired room...

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I spray lacquers indoors. I have a good quality spray booth venting through an open window. I am careful to work within the spray booth including cleaning the airbrush. I dispose of used kitchen paper etc into sealed plastic bags. My wife works at her sewing/knitting in the same room and doesn't complain. If the weather is reasonable I open the main window for 15-20 mins after spraying and keep the room door shut. I honestly don't think spraying lacquers indoors is a problem providing simple precautions are put in place.
Very true Jim, I have used the bucket water trap a few times now and the room smellt of Spring Laundry whatever that is - I thought it was just disinfectant added to the water.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That's the one thing I personally want when we move, either a dedicated room in the bungalow or a dormer room upstairs.
That's it - rub my nose in it!! :smiling2:
The place I moved from was a Dormer Bungalow, a HUUGE double bedroom up top plus 'my play room' a smaller double with suitable ventilation in the form of a Velux window as well as a north facing double window and more than enough electric outlets and due to the pitch of the stairs was pretty much SWMBO proof too!!
Then what do I do - Move. No upstairs rooms, no spare room for me to adopt!!! Just a cold old detached garage!!!!
No - I'm not jealous!! Well not much!!!!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's it - rub my nose in it!! :smiling2:
The place I moved from was a Dormer Bungalow, a HUUGE double bedroom up top plus 'my play room' a smaller double with suitable ventilation in the form of a Velux window as well as a north facing double window and more than enough electric outlets and due to the pitch of the stairs was pretty much SWMBO proof too!!
Then what do I do - Move. No upstairs rooms, no spare room for me to adopt!!! Just a cold old detached garage!!!!
No - I'm not jealous!! Well not much!!!!!
Me never!

A bungalow looks highly likely so a dormer would be ideal to do it all, no need for a separate room and going to the garage! If not a dormer a spare bedroom or study!