Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A few questions have come to mind.
The corner where the narrow case has been put in. 'empty space'? that will be fun the first time something falls down in there. I would either keep the alcove free, or find a corner unit.
The High units behind the bench... You will get tired of that quickly I imagine. I would.
I would have got Kitchen units as unders and over. They are normally deeper that 'living room' cabinets.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy
My word that's looking the business. Will you have a opening in the wall for meals to be passed in ;)
More likely she'll lock me in and slide bread & water under the door :smiling5:

A few questions have come to mind.
The corner where the narrow case has been put in. 'empty space'? that will be fun the first time something falls down in there. I would either keep the alcove free, or find a corner unit.
The High units behind the bench... You will get tired of that quickly I imagine. I would.
I would have got Kitchen units as unders and over. They are normally deeper that 'living room' cabinets.
Thanks Ian, some food for thought.

The slim unit might not stay. For one Ikea are out of stock so I may not be able to get another for a while. It's a new black oak finish that's proving very popular as it's nicer and cheaper then their previous black/brown.

Plus, with the bench in place it's hard to reach. It would be display space only up there but still...

I would cap off the top of that empty space if it stays though, and there would be a access panel cut out at the bottom since the plug sockets are in that corner too.

A corner unit would be nice but ikea don't make one, so I'd have to modify something myself.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I got some more done today. I've decided to stick with the alcove unit so everything has been screwed together and fixed to the wall for security.

The worktops are joined but not fixed to the Alex drawer & cupboard units just yet. I want to use the room for a while first in case I find I need to shuffle things around.

I have plenty more plastic drawers to drag in from the shed and none of them might be quite where I want them, but after a few builds I'll have a better idea.

1000006449.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That looks the business, now all you need is one of those security keypads for the door and your room is safe... If you have a HDMI socket on your PC you can plug it into the tv, go into the settings/system and scrol down to the Multiple Displays and click on Extend These Displays, this will give you two screens.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks a sweet set up there Andy. I have two of those Alex units and find them very useful. Good quality for a reasonable price.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think a lot of the fun is trying places out for things Andy. Looks to be a good size as well .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It looks like you are going to be very comfy there. Now its put together and in place it does look much better than the first photos where you was thinking aloud...
I have had a dedicated room for quite some time and still think up better ways. The next will involve kitchen cupboards!

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I got some more done today. I've decided to stick with the alcove unit so everything has been screwed together and fixed to the wall for security.

The worktops are joined but not fixed to the Alex drawer & cupboard units just yet. I want to use the room for a while first in case I find I need to shuffle things around.

I have plenty more plastic drawers to drag in from the shed and none of them might be quite where I want them, but after a few builds I'll have a better idea.

View attachment 501224
Andy, I see how your arrangement works now :thumb2:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks gents, I think I'm going to be very happy in there :smiling3:

That looks the business, now all you need is one of those security keypads for the door and your room is safe... If you have a HDMI socket on your PC you can plug it into the tv, go into the settings/system and scrol down to the Multiple Displays and click on Extend These Displays, this will give you two screens.
My lad has an ancient laptop that's far too slow for his college work but might be just fine for a bit of online research. It has HDMI output so may get used just as you suggest.

Looks a sweet set up there Andy. I have two of those Alex units and find them very useful. Good quality for a reasonable price.
I was concerned at first as the Web seems full of people "hacking" the Alex drawers to make them extend more. I can only assume that Ikea have redesigned the runners as they are very different to the ones in these hacks, and extend almost fully.

Think a lot of the fun is trying places out for things Andy. Looks to be a good size as well .
Yes, I'm sure there'll be a lot of swapping around in the near future.

It looks like you are going to be very comfy there. Now its put together and in place it does look much better than the first photos where you was thinking aloud...
I have had a dedicated room for quite some time and still think up better ways. The next will involve kitchen cupboards!
Kitchen cupboards were an option for me too but (at least over here) multi-drawer units are double or more in price to "office" types and second hand ones are hard to find. With the adjustable legs removed they would sit at a good desk height though.

Here's the kitchen I fitted around 6 years ago if it gives you any ideas:

1000006456.jpg

Andy, I see how your arrangement works now :thumb2:
Much easier for me to pop up a picture than try to explain :smiling5:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Strange that Andy. I’ve had my Alex units for five years and they’ve always extended almost fully? Perhaps different countries have different rules. I’ve also got a couple of the Helmer metal units and find them excellent under desk storage as well.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Most of the videos are by Americans so maybe you're right.

I'd not seen those Helmer units. Thanks, they look ideal.

I'm also considering extra glass shelves for the bookcases which ought to be better for displaying my finished models, but will settle in a bit first.

One issue I do have is cutting holes in the desk for the pop up socket and desk grommets. I was convinced I had an 80mm hole saw but it seems not! Will have to do them in situ now and deal with the mess :rolling:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

My lad has an ancient laptop that's far too slow for his college work but might be just fine for a bit of online research. It has HDMI output so may get used just as you suggest.

I was concerned at first as the Web seems full of people "hacking" the Alex drawers to make them extend more. I can only assume that Ikea have redesigned the runners as they are very different to the ones in these hacks, and extend almost fully.

Kitchen cupboards were an option for me too but (at least over here) multi-drawer units are double or more in price to "office" types and second hand ones are hard to find. With the adjustable legs removed they would sit at a good desk height though.

View attachment 501234

And as I scrolled down I came to this picture and thought that model room would make a great kitchen.... Then I started reading... Great job, mine looked like that once and then the fridge magnets appearead, the plant pots, and all the other items a woman can find to put around the kitchen worktops....

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

View attachment 501234

That's spooky!! Same colour, same handles, similar blind!!! Even the surface is very very close to the colour of ours!!!!! The setup is different if that's any consolation.
IMG_0014.jpeg

Still envious of your new model room!!!!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm trying not to bore you with too many pictures of the same thing, but today I finally christened the room and starting chopping plastic!

There's still more to do but I've been really under the weather with man flu since the weekend, so figured that starting a kit would be just the tonic.

Fairey Gannet lurking in the background. I decided to order the correct colour EDSGrey so I should be cracking on with that soon. Hopefully by then I'll have something to spray it in too :smiling3:

1000006471.jpg