New model room

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well this is now a definite but I can't seem to edit the thread title myself, so if someone could do me a favour and remove the (potential) it would be appreciated, thanks.

The sofas finally went tonight after transportation issues, and I've moved /binned /recycled a lot of the stuff that had accumulated in here. There are some dvd's to relocate and Thomas's old toy box needs a sort out but we're not far from a blank canvas.

I'm still undecided about keeping the telly. I could use it for displaying reference pictures but it seems more than a little OTT for that!

2024-01-31 19.22.06.jpg

These appeared under one sofa, some cd storage drawer liners we bought ages ago. Looking at the offcuts I think they could be cut up to make a nice sprue rack:

2024-01-31 19.23.07-1.jpg

Electrickery needs sorting first. This room is like many in the house were before I upgraded them, with very few socket outlets. One single and one double just won't cut it. I have 6 doubles to play with in the shed and use most of them!

Rather than going under the floor to rewire as I've done in other rooms I found these handy socket converters which attach straight to the original back boxes, replacing the socket front. They will help a lot, with multi-gang extension leads running from here to where I need them, and have had the nod from my wife (who's in the electrical safety industry)

My good lady also had the idea of a pop up socket to mount in the desktop. It can be hidden out of the way but is nearby if I need to charge something or use my dremel type tool / hot glue gun etc at the bench:

2024-01-31 19.24.42-1.jpg

So a very slow start but at least I'm rolling

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Have edited the title for you Andy.
Having a dedicated space is great. No going out in the cold/rain/snow/blistering heat.
That room you have won over looks like a good size as well.
I would leave the TV. As you wrote, good for reference pictures.
Work benches cant be to long but can be to narrow. Go full kitchen worktop as a minimum.
The bit that nearly always gets hard to sort out is the lighting. Getting a good shadow free workspace is often a challenge. Especially where windows are involved! lol

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the edit Ian.

Yes, I'm looking at mostly Ikea furniture, with their kitchen worktop for the actual bench surface. It's cheap & cheerful but I've found it sturdy enough as long as you don't move it around too much.

Thankfully the window is NE facing, so apart from a few hours in the morning I should get good indirect sunlight without glare, and coming from the right it should work well for a leftie.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
You are so right about having enough sockets in your workspace Andy, I have gone a bit OTT with mine, 18 double sockets :smiling2: :thumb2:
Yep keep the telly you are bound to find a use for it.

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You can go too deep w/workbench. I can attest that my 36" deep bench is too deep & have messed things up reaching to the back. I think 24" is better.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
You can go too deep w/workbench. I can attest that my 36" deep bench is too deep & have messed things up reaching to the back. I think 24" is better.
I agree with you Paul, I have 24" worktops in my current workspace and have found them to be just right.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's good to know Paul & Garry. I'm aiming for around 24" / 600mm tops, with a row of Billy bookcases along the main wall behind. That should give me display shelves higher up, tool & materials storage at desk level, and room for messy stuff below.

You'll never want to come out of there once it's all set up Andy .
Maybe that's why Zoë agreed to it - to keep me from under her feet :tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
That's good to know Paul & Garry. I'm aiming for around 24" / 600mm tops, with a row of Billy bookcases along the main wall behind. That should give me display shelves higher up, tool & materials storage at desk level, and room for messy stuff below.

Maybe that's why Zoë agreed to it - to keep me from under her feet :tears-of-joy:
Andy, if your Billy bookcases are going to be sitting on your worktop, they will reduce your working area considerably, but if they are going to be wall mounted above the worktop, you should be fine.
Just saying :smiling2:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Maybe I'm not good at describing Garry, sorry.
The book cases will be along the wall, stood on the floor, reaching up to around 2 metres.

The desk will then sit in front of these, so I'll have most of the 600mm depth.

I did make a start on a 3d model in sketchup but got bored :smiling5: If I finish it I'll post up a screen shot.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Totally agree with the need for enough, well positioned electrical outlets. It's surprising how many are needed.
I didn't plan that side of things properly at all. I now have extension cables running awkwardly and have to crawl around sometimes to find a socket. I could improve things but it would be far more work and disruption now than if I'd given it thought at the beginning.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Following an afternoon of furious flat pack building we have the layout roughed out.

I was going to leave the alcove empty but Zoë suggested I try the narrow bookcase in there, and it fit perfectly! That means I need another to fill the the main wall but I've spaced the wider ones out for now.

Worktops need chopping to length and a proper masons mitre cutting where they meet, but I've done enough of those to know I can manage it, and of course they'll have some support legs to prevent sagging. The bookcases also need squaring up and securing to the wall but at least I can start to plan what's going where and electric socket positioning.

1000006438.jpg

It looks a lot bigger than it did in my head :surprised: but once my son stakes his claim I'll probably end up with a 6" square in the corner :smiling5: