New model room

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They still are Tim! 5 for £1 in most of the charity shops round here. I bought a load, just before I changed my car for one without a CD player...
Pete
I was talking about records rather than CDs, but I know what you mean Pete. Charity shops around here won’t take CDs or DVDs any more.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don't start me on vinyl, I still haven't finished converting a few hundred albums to MP3.
Wait ten years or so and the equivalent of today's hipsters will be saying that you just can't beat the sound of a vintage CD...
Pete
That will take a big leap mate, CDs were flawed right from the off. They simply don’t have enough bandwidth to resolve the treble end properly, so sound harsh and grainy on good equipment. Treble on vinyl is far superior. Bass is great though, much more controlled on CD than vinyl. SACD was the best over all, but never really took off as streaming (transistor radio quality MP3) came in soon after.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I tried to get rid of a pile of VHS tapes last year. Not even the local recycling centre would take them, they had to go in the mixed waste skip.

At least I've managed to get virtually all of my Mum's 8mm cine films digitised - great fun watching films shot in the late 50s and 60s.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You have a car with a built in record player??? Wow!!
You say that as if it’s a newfangled contraption.

5r6udrtre.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
England scored 7 goals so you'd think she'd have stayed awake (she is the football fan, not me) but I'm sure she has a form of narcolepsy :smiling5:

Come the evening she can fall asleep mid conversation. I'm sure I'm not that boring... :tears-of-joy:
I have one like that, on goes the animal program and I'm sitting there wondering why the Swan is snoring....

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The extra bookcase & shelves finally came into stock and arrived yesterday. After some juggling around the room is finally done.

For now anyway. I'm sure this will only be Mk1, and it'll likely evolve over time, but I'm happy just to crack on and throw some models together

Overall view:

1000007398.jpg

Photography area, where everything can be packed away and become another build area or somewhere for my son to work if he ever gets time off revising for his A levels.
There's also room for a 3d printer etc if I ever make the leap:

1000007394.jpg

Main build area with my most used tools in the drawer by my side or just a short reach across the desk:

1000007395.jpg

Painting / decal / weathering area:

1000007396.jpg

And the airbrush bit:

1000007397.jpg

Yes I'm aware it's an indulgance, and you don't need a swanky room to have fun building models, but it's my little sanctuary away from the pressures of everyday life and I hope to have many happy hours in here :smiling3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Who cares as long as YOU are happy! Looks very well planned and executed Andy. Proper job!

We will be moving after the probate is done, so I will be having my own room where I can do the lot!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That definitely is an upgrade from a shed in which the water for cleaning your brushes occasionally freezes :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
So very, very jealous!! Hope you enjoy it!!

Andrew

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Yes I'm aware it's an indulgance, and you don't need a swanky room to have fun building models, but it's my little sanctuary away from the pressures of everyday life and I hope to have many happy hours in here

Nice studio! If I can negotiate with missus Miko the girls bedroom now they've flown the nest I'm hoping to have such a space myself!

I just need to make a bit of a mess and some smells to compel her to give way to my petition on the use of that now vacant space! Sneaky!

Miko (not sure about the dark grey, but that might just be me?)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Although some make superb models on the dining room table it's nice to have a dedicated space. That is a great result Andy, I'm sure you'll spend many happy hours there.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent Andy. That is a great set up that you’ll enjoy for years.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all, it's definitely a step up from where I was working before.

When Zoë suggested I used the room I don't think she was expecting me to take it over so extensively, maybe just a desk in the corner, but it's done now :smiling5:

Once all of the off-camera junk is moved I'll be setting up a multi purpose table, so that Thomas can war game when his mates come around and Zoë has somewhere other than the dining room table for her jigsaws.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just showed your room to SWMBO and said I want one. She said I have a draughty shed, what more do I need.... it will be summer soon and the goats and pigs can go into the meadow....
Now that room looks the business, and do you realise we now expect your modelling to excell beyond excellent....

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I was lucky then, with only the occasional spider sharing my shed.

As for expectations - I've got a long way to go but hopefully I'm heading in the right direction :smiling3: