New model room

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit of something I'm working on.

I'd always intended to put a shelf over the booth but after some time working in it, the idea morphed into more of a "hutch"

It's only in primer for now, needing some filler & paint, but here's the general idea:

• 1000006668.jpg

Now, as well as a nice big shelf it gives me a few other advantages.
  • A better mounting position for my work light
  • Air regulator is now where I can see it easily and don't keep knocking it with my leg
  • The solid back will help to damp some of the noise transmission to the neighbours through our very thin walls
  • If I get something huge to paint I can remove the sides of the booth and the drawers, giving me a really big work area (with some compromise to extraction performance probably)
As I say, still a WIP but it's doing the business so far.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry if this is getting boring but I'm having nearly as much fun building the room as the models in it :smiling3:

The hutch is now painted but I'll give it a couple of days to fully cure before putting anything on top.

I've also built a rudimentary cupboard underneath to house my compressor. The door is intentionally short to leave an inch slot top & bottom for airflow. I'll keep an eye on its temperature next time I paint something but I'm hoping that's enough.

It was never the quietist given its high output but I can hardly hear it running now :cool:

1000006689.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It never gets boring Andy. I have been silently watching this project develop and love every new post you make. You are very lucky to be able to do this and finally have a dedicated, not to mention, warm place to do your thang!!! I am just so jealous and will miss the pics of you dancing around in the shed with your winter fuzzy wuzzy pulli on, trying to keep warm while modelling. It does have a downside for some of us though...With a dedicated modelling room, your amazing build rate and output quality, I/we will now never be able to keep up with your progress on here...

Now There could be a solution to this problem, but I'm not sure how well it would work. We could break in to your house and steal all the de-bonder/nail polisher remover and such. Then CA one of your hands to the desk to slow you down a bit. At least then we might have a chance...Do you have a watch dog or the like??? Just wondering.........

Enjoy it my friend and I heard that Ikea's stock is up 5% due to your new room...Most of all, just have fun!!!..............

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You actually made me laugh out loud there my friend. Unfortunately it woke my wife, sleeping in front of the football match she insisted we put on the telly...

I think I'm slowing down a bit in the new room to be honest. A much more relaxing environment, I find I'm not rushing as much to get the job done before frostbite kicks in :tears-of-joy:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Andy and apologies to the the wife. It must have been a real exciting match on the telly!!! Oh and thanks for slowing down a bit too. That's a relief for us old folks Buddy............

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I had a notification from Ikea yesterday. The bookcase I need to finish my room was meant to be back in stock today but they are now estimating 2nd - 9th of April!

That'll be 2 months since I got the original ones. It's not like I'm in a rush but it would be nice to get it finished and clear my tools and other junk out

1000006847.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There seems to be a shortage of Billy units at the moment Andy. Im looking to remodel my room a bit and want a couple of bookcases from them but the ones I want are out of stock as well, as are the display cases I want from Argos.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
There seems to be a shortage of Billy units at the moment Andy. Im looking to remodel my room a bit and want a couple of bookcases from them but the ones I want are out of stock as well, as are the display cases I want from Argos.
IKEA are useful for our hobby furniture and storage requirements for sure!

I thank the Scandinavian modeling gods for Billy Malm Lack and Kallax ranges!

Miko (Heja Sverige!)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Kallax are fantastic if you have a vinyl record collection. The cubes are just the right size to hold them upright, as they should be stored….

Reactions: JR

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I’ve got mine in a 4 x 4 and a 4 x 2 kallax, so about 24 cubes full…..it’s worse than my modelling stash to be honest.
With each 'cube' easily accommodating a hundred albums that's 2400 albums!! WoW!!

Nice to see Kallax being suited for purpose

Miko (mine is a more modest couple of hundred albums)

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
With each 'cube' easily accommodating a hundred albums that's 2400 albums!! WoW!!

Nice to see Kallax being suited for purpose

Miko (mine is a more modest couple of hundred albums)
They hold about 75 each when full, so only about 1500 ;) . Mind you, I have around 400 CDs as well. Most of them were bought second hand during the nineties for 25 to 50p each when everyone was ditching them wholesale.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Ikea modular units are certainly perfect for us modellers.

They still are Tim! 5 for £1 in most of the charity shops round here. I bought a load, just before I changed my car for one without a CD player...
Pete
You have a car with a built in record player??? Wow!!

The advancement of digital disc media technology came and went in such a short space of time, who would have thought vinyl records would out live CD DVD and Bluray?

Miko (driven by nostalgia)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You have a car with a built in record player??? Wow!!

The advancement of digital disc media technology came and went in such a short space of time, who would have thought vinyl records would out live CD DVD and Bluray?

Miko (driven by nostalgia)
40 odd years isn’t that short Miko.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Don't start me on vinyl, I still haven't finished converting a few hundred albums to MP3.
Wait ten years or so and the equivalent of today's hipsters will be saying that you just can't beat the sound of a vintage CD...
Pete