New model room

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's looking great Mark. I recognise those plastic drawers under your desk!

If only each drawer was a few mm deeper I'd be able to fit a bigger variety of products in.
If security is a concern, then you will also need to consider somebody punching out the hose and sticking an arm (or tool) in through the resulting hole to open a larger window.
Yes, that's something to consider. The only openers are small, but if they are determined enough...

Big telly has gone, replaced by my lads smaller smart TV (it cost me a chromebook :smiling5: ). It'll mirror my laptop via HDMI but I'm still working on getting it to link to my tablet, which I'd prefer as it takes up less space.

The wall was a real mess after removing the bracket & speakers so B&Q colour matched me some paint to the Ikea units. It's a bit more glossy than I would have liked but it'll do.

1000006539.jpg

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
That's looking great Mark. I recognise those plastic drawers under your desk!

If only each drawer was a few mm deeper I'd be able to fit a bigger variety of products in.

Yes, that's something to consider. The only openers are small, but if they are determined enough...

Big telly has gone, replaced by my lads smaller smart TV (it cost me a chromebook :smiling5: ). It'll mirror my laptop via HDMI but I'm still working on getting it to link to my tablet, which I'd prefer as it takes up less space.

The wall was a real mess after removing the bracket & speakers so B&Q colour matched me some paint to the Ikea units. It's a bit more glossy than I would have liked but it'll do.

View attachment 501650
Depending on what tablet you have, a HDMI adaptor should instantly hook it up in the same way. My macbook and ipad both thankfully use the same adaptor and functionality is exactly the same. I can't speak for other tablets, but hopefully this will be the case for you too.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I meant through the hole for the hose. Burglars are less likely to break glass as they are to remove something that won’t make noise, AFAIK, so if you were to replace the top window with a piece of perspex (or whatever) with a hole for the spray booth exhaust pipe, it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to push the pipe out of the hole from the outside.

Probably fairly easy to prevent by adding a vent over the outside, though.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Depending on what tablet you have, a HDMI adaptor should instantly hook it up in the same way. My macbook and ipad both thankfully use the same adaptor and functionality is exactly the same. I can't speak for other tablets, but hopefully this will be the case for you too.
Thanks, but I guess I should have added, I want it wireless from my tablet (Samsung A7)

Being an old telly it doesn't have anything native but I'm hoping to find an app (maybe Google home?) that will allow connection through its WiFi.

I did have a chromecast lying around but I've put it in such a safe place that I can't find it :rolling:

I meant through the hole for the hose. Burglars are less likely to break glass as they are to remove something that won’t make noise, AFAIK, so if you were to replace the top window with a piece of perspex (or whatever) with a hole for the spray booth exhaust pipe, it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to push the pipe out of the hole from the outside.

Probably fairly easy to prevent by adding a vent over the outside, though.
Yes, I understood what you meant thanks. If they push out the hose, or even the panel, the opening would be too small for most people to get through (hopefully!). Since none of the other panes open they couldn't reach through to gain access through a larger one.

It's still something I need to think about though.

My god you're not short of energy are you?
Very envious, even though I do have my own loft, but it's got out of hand and I'd rather spend the time making models than tidying up or reorganizing...
I know, I'm spending far too much time faffing around instead of building models :tears-of-joy:

I know what I'm like though, if I don't do the organising now I never will...

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
The room has come on in leaps and bounds...
You may be able to link your tv to the tablet if you have an HDMI outlet, if you do then connect the cable to them both, into settings/display and scroll down and you should find that you can share across both of them. I have that set up from my laptop to the spare tv.
I see you have one of those helecopters sitting on the top shelf, are you like me, learning to crash in different ways...
Hole for the hose, put a pipe cage over it, it may not stop them but it will deter them, because they will not know what is on the other end and why do you need a cage??? a sign 'Snakes crawling loose" might help....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You've made great progress and it looks excellent. Perhaps now is the time to build a simple, quick kit and see how the new room actually works. When you know what works and what doesn't you can tweak things where necessary.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Mike, if I end up having to plug it in I will but would rather go wireless when I get time to investigate. My tablet casts fine to my more modern, main TV, so I'm sure it's not going to be too difficult to figure.

Cheers Jim. I'm still on with a Fairey Gannet and have started the little Bf110, so I am doing a bit. I just spend most of my time looking for where I put that thingummyjig!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking better every time I look in Andy

I have removed the photos of Mark1's room. Just as in a build thread it is not desired to post your works in other peoples thread. We are a getting to be of an age where confusion is just around the corner, Waiting to pounce! No need to taunt it is there.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just get that hole through the wall ;)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking better every time I look in Andy

I have removed the photos of Mark1's room. Just as in a build thread it is not desired to post your works in other peoples thread. We are a getting to be of an age where confusion is just around the corner, Waiting to pounce! No need to taunt it is there.
I have to admit I spent ages looking for a helicopter in Andy's room which wasn't actually in Andy's room!!!
Only glad I'm not formally Ga-Ga yet!! :thumb2: :smiling2: :upside:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just get that hole through the wall ;)
Bit permanet though. Much easier, and cheaper to put a vent in the windows top light. A glassier should be able to sort a window glass with a 4" hole and stil be thermo.
Easy to change back.
Holes in walls are much harder to 'put right' again. especially if you have cavity fill insulation.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I was thinking of an infill panel Ian. A upvc/xps/upvc laminate, as used for the panels on external doors.

I occasionally paint frames for a window & door company so may get a free offcut if I'm lucky.
How big would the panel need to be andy ? And how thick . I ask because ive got a white 28mm thick upvc panel youre welcome to have if its any use , cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
How big would the panel need to be andy ? And how thick . I ask because ive got a white 28mm thick upvc panel youre welcome to have if its any use , cheers tony
That's very kind of you Tony, thanks.

I'm not sure of the thickness yet, I'll get back to you via PM once I've worked it out, but the glass is 320 x 390mm (just under 13 x 16 in old money)

-----
I've found my chromecast and it's working perfectly:

1000006556.jpg

And just for @Jim R I've painted the scruffy drawer set at the side of the booth to roughly match my others (I was painting some bifold doors in RAL 7015 Slate Grey today) . I need to give the drawers themselves a good scrub but they're looking better already.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit permanet though. Much easier, and cheaper to put a vent in the windows top light. A glassier should be able to sort a window glass with a 4" hole and stil be thermo.
Easy to change back.
Holes in walls are much harder to 'put right' again. especially if you have cavity fill insulation.
Yes it may be Ian to most people, I forget that being in the building trade , holes were nothing to us ,even with bead insulation :smiling2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's very kind of you Tony, thanks.

I'm not sure of the thickness yet, I'll get back to you via PM once I've worked it out, but the glass is 320 x 390mm (just under 13 x 16 in old money)

-----
I've found my chromecast and it's working perfectly:

View attachment 501734

And just for @Jim R I've painted the scruffy drawer set at the side of the booth to roughly match my others (I was painting some bifold doors in RAL 7015 Slate Grey today) . I need to give the drawers themselves a good scrub but they're looking better already.
Now that's special Andy having the monitor like that .