New to Airbrushing question?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Paul mate, you buy this to modify flow. It doesn’t modify pressure…..

This is a PRV…..and it reduces pressure. If you get one, make sure it has a useable pressure gauge though. 150 psi range will give you very crude control…..
1656585956812.jpeg
They fit in the round hole at at the top of some airbrush holders….

Seen on the left here…..
B8011FFE-2A67-43A6-BA04-7CC0F440FCA1.jpeg

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Beg your pardon Andrea,. I thought you was a bloke :smiling3:
You're welcome, Bob. :hugging-face: :smiling2:
If you mean "male" with "bloke", you're right! Andrea, in Italy is a male name (almost always), so bloke is as good as mate, sir, mister or any informal way to address a male friend/acquaintance.:smiling:
In the past I received mails from the English speaking world beginning with "Ma'am" :smiling4:: my answer was that not even in her wildest dreams my wife ever called me ma'am"... :tongue-out3:.

Never mind, Bob, I'm used to this kind of misunderstanding about my name and if you use Andy it's fine as well: it's how I was called by my schoolmates back in the late '70s. :thumb2:

Andrea

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
However, now might be the time to start. My only reservation is the overall 'stack height' - I already have a quick release connector at the brush end, which I'm loathe to lose. So with that AND this device too, it might become unwieldy.
That's what I'm thinking..... Perhaps have this 'stuck ' to the side of the desk, acting as 'bridge' between two reasonable length air hoses?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is a reason not to have it if you’re new to airbrushing. There are already a lot of variables you need to get your head around, no need to add another before you’re even used to the basic ones.
Actually I find it incredibly useful and makes spraying a lot easier.

I think that it might be specially useful where you have less consistency between the paint shades you are using.

It is not to my mind just another variable to contend with. That is if you use it properly, set the compressor to the highest pressure level suitable for your set up and adjust down or back depending on you paint flow.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ah yes, Tim, I already have one of them on my (AS186) compressor. I just fancy being able to instantly alter flow on the fly.

As an aside to @Modler bob (the OP) - don't let all this esoteric stuff intimidate you. An airbrush is an incredibly useful bit of kit - if you're minded to get one, go for it. I just started using it for priming and varnishing, and went on from there.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
This is a reason not to have it if you’re new to airbrushing. There are already a lot of variables you need to get your head around, no need to add another before you’re even used to the basic ones.
Yes, I think for me you're right Jacko.
I think stick to what I know for now, for the kits I have, the other problem is costs :sad:
Thanks again everyone for great information.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You're welcome, Bob. :hugging-face: :smiling2:
If you mean "male" with "bloke", you're right! Andrea, in Italy is a male name (almost always), so bloke is as good as mate, sir, mister or any informal way to address a male friend/acquaintance.:smiling:
In the past I received mails from the English speaking world beginning with "Ma'am" :smiling4:: my answer was that not even in her wildest dreams my wife ever called me ma'am"... :tongue-out3:.

Never mind, Bob, I'm used to this kind of misunderstanding about my name and if you use Andy it's fine as well: it's how I was called by my schoolmates back in the late '70s. :thumb2:

Andrea
OK "Andy"
My mistake.

I'm ficko 2 :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Pete. Scale Model Shop doesn’t have any that I can find listed but I found this on line.

They are also called MAC valves incidentally. They do the same thing.
Thanks, I'd been wondering what to do with my Fathers' Day Amazon voucher!
Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If I need to sort the presure on the fly, I lean forward and adjust the valve on the compressor...
Learn the basics then move on to the more "prof" toys.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
if you use it properly, set the compressor to the highest pressure level suitable for your set up and adjust down or back depending on you paint flow.
Everything you describe there boils down to “skill and experience” — both of which someone new to airbrushing doesn’t have yet.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Everything you describe there boils down to “skill and experience” — both of which someone new to airbrushing doesn’t have yet.
I do have to disagree Jakko. It made spraying a lot easier for me and was just common sense to set it up that way. I am basically lazy and will always look for the easy way and this was it.

First Name
Steven
I’ve been airbrushing for over 10 years and can safely say if you pay more you’ll get a much better result. I bought the Iwata Custom Micron which is well over £350 but then again I’m a fine artist so it was an investment. If you buy Iwata you won’t go far wrong

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Go with Steve Jones advice ,at the risk of sounding boring and constantly repeating my self if your paint is thinned correctly and your air pressure is correspondingly set even the cheap airbrushes will give you satisfactory results.
As I said go with Steve Jones simple advice enjoy yourself learning dont get dragged down by some of the dark alchemy that bandied about.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
No compressor on that cheap one, so the air pressure will pulsate.
Pete

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I see.
I thought it had a small compressor?

SO, put my brain in order if possible please (I am a ficko)....
I just assumed a "Gravity air sprayer" doesn't require a compressor Right/Wrong?
What exactly does a gravity-fed one look like please?
Excuse the dumb questions :smiling3: