Normandy Bocage diorama

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Truly excellent work Alan. The whole scene looks superb.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Really looking brilliant - that tree is great, well worth the time spent.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Started to add the oak leaf on one figure now. Really wish i had cleaned up the seams far more as they are standing out with the camera. But hey ho. Lesson learned and all that. But these are a test mule for painting and i can always strip them back down at a later date and re-do them better.

IMG_2472.JPGIMG_2475.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I hope so Tim. I've still got the other 3 to go lol

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Figures! One of the hardest aspects of the hobby. You're doing fine, looking great.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Finished the camo on the body. Probably isn't a decent replica of the real thing but i think it looks ok. Need to paint the boots and webbing. Then it'll be sealed in and probably try and add a wash to it. Not sure what colour though.

Then it's the joy of flesh part next.

Still another three figures to go yet :crying:

IMG_2479.JPGIMG_2480.JPG

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
What distance do you expect someone to be looking at the finished diorama ?
I reckon that some of the model detail people are painting for camouflage is way beyond normal eyesight ability to differentiate at the scale distance. ( my eyesight isn't a good test of the theory, and I certainly can no longer paint accurately enough for that level of detail )
If my maths is correct, If you are picking the figure up and looking from 6" it would be 17 1/2 ( scale) feet away from you.

Congrats on the level of detail you have managed.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Gary. Never really thought about it that way. I suppose if someone other than myself was going to look at the dio it would probably be from at least 1ft away. so scale effect would really come into play.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Think that we're all 'guilty' of 'as much detail as possible', as we sit with our 2x, 3x, or 3.5x specs on peering closely at the offending bit of paint, we forget that the closest anyone will look at it will be the photos on here - and in 'real life' about 2 feet away! ;) :smiling5::smiling5::tongue-out3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well I calculate my viewing distances in miles,not metres ;)
That's gotta be one of the most difficult camo patterns to do Alan,and I reckon that you're making a superb job of it :smiling3:
Excellent stuff mate, well worth the obvious effort you're putting in.
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That more than looks the part to me Alan. Nice job.
Be very careful with an over all wash though, it can really darken the finish and potential ruin what you’ve done. I’ve tried it several times and never really been happy with the results.
What I would recommend is to outline each area with a dark pin wash using a fine brush. This will make them stand out from each other. Pre made washes, like the Vallejo game and model washes I bang on about all the time are great for this. They are consistent straight from the bottle and save a lot of mixing time. You can make your own wash with paint, water, and flow aid, but the issue is getting them consistent so you control what you do. Too thin and the effect is too subtle so the areas don’t really pop off each other. Too thick and the figure starts to look like a China doll. 76.517 model wash dark grey is excellent for this, as is 73.201 game wash black.

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Exactly what Neil said Alan!!! He's looking great. Oh, and if anyone mentions the seam lines, Just tell them he's wearing a freshly pressed uniform. They're supposed to be there.............

Prost
Allen

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. I know i'll get better the more figures i do so not sweating on these so much. At some point in the future i'll probably get some resin ones for a diorama or two. But these plastic ones will still work too. It'll be interesting to see what the plastic ones are like with the Das Werk Pak40 i intend to buy compared to these Tamiya and Dragon ones.