North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Paul, sorry for the late reply. Dec was a really busy month for me...renovations for the house has kept me from the bench and have neglected my post. Had some free time between Christmas and New Year so there is progress. The following are some pictures of the progress.

I have dry fitted the building and built up the stone debris around it...

387486.jpg

Using a piece of corrugated plastic I created a pattern on the plaster creating wind swept sand. The layer of household white paint which I used to secure the groundwork makes it quite hard to see the sand pattern.

387487.jpg

The well has been redone and will have a wooden cover from balsa.

387488.jpg387489.jpg

I have added the tank tracks by pressing the wet plaster with spare tracks from another Panzer1.

387490.jpg

At first I thought of changing the tanks but have decided to stay with the Panzerjaeger.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
Happy New Year, Great work mate the building and rubble are very convincing.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
hi Richard
Happy new year to you and yours.
Very well planned and executed model. I do like the donkey. I think you have his/her stance and expression perfect. The ruined building is spot on. I do agree with dios deserving a neat and well thought out base.
jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys and Happy New Year to you too.

The one thing that I have failed to depict is the lonely vastness of the desert being that it is a small base and my tendency to clutter.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Now where was I on the Panzerjager...ah yes, the Afrika Korp scheme...

Prior to painting I did the old salt method by placing water and salt with a brush at spots that would recieve the most wear. With a mix of desert yellow and sand I did a reverse spray from bottom up, then diluting Humbrol Leather I sprayed into nooks and streaked it in areas that rust stains would appear.

365602.jpg

The salt was removed with water revealing the panzer grey underneath much like the hair spray method.

365603.jpg

I wanted the hatches open so these were left off to be attached later with the levers. The road wheels were sprayed freehand and the rubber linings picked off once again with diluted panzer grey mixed with black.

365604.jpg365605.jpg

The interior of the shield was left in the original Panzergrey. I later prepared a wash as you can see the detail is soft from the airbrush work.

365606.jpg

That's it for now...

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
hi Richard
Great finish - chipping/worn areas looks very natural.
About the salt method, a few questions if I may. What sort of salt - is it rock salt or salt flakes? How do you get the salt to stay on the vertical surfaces? Any information would be appreciated as it looks to work very well.
Thanks
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim,

It's ordinary fine table salt attached with a brush moistened with water. Have the vertical surfaces facing up, apply the salt with the wet brush and wicker away access water with the sharp end of a tissue before the salt dissolves. As the salt crystalises it sticks to the surface. The effect is different from chipping fluid which I find works like the white wash on certain Balinese antique furniture that I have.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Neil for the compliment. I hope the painting will not lessen the effect of the wavy sand.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
More of the panzerjager with the airfilter tube I think attached and the tow rope painted with a fine brush...

365601.jpg365634.jpg

Here the vision ports have been installed. The airfilter is also painted...

365635.jpg

Close up show that this far from the finish you guys are accustomed to.

365636.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The base is looking awesome Richard. Looking forward to seeing more of your work this year.

Are you caught up in this tropical storm that raging at the moment??

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, I do have some in the pipeline, keeping fingers crossed they'll be finished this year.

So far weather has been good...experiencing the pre Chinese New Year weather with hot and windy conditions with occasional showers. Tropical storms normally hit the Phillipines or Taiwan but by the time they travel across the South China Sea it fizzles and we get heavy rain...lots of rain.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie, one thing good about salt is that it's free. :smiling4:

Here are some parts picked off with paint... all the accessories including jerrycans for water and fuel.

386469.jpg386470.jpg

I maske of the top edge and sprayed in German grey as this would have been the area where the tarp was put over and missed the desert sand spray.

386471.jpg386472.jpg

It is now better with a wash and some graphite to the edges.

386467.jpg
386468.jpg

Still needs the boxed up area for the Afrika Korp emblem and decals.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you kindly Peter,

With the decals, aerial from guitar string and final weathering touches and there you have it, the Panzerjager for the dio...

387474.jpg387476.jpg

Once the groundwork is done I will apply it on the tracks and dust it accordingly...

387492.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, yesterday I came across a book on Panzerjagers at Kinokunia, one of the largest book stores in KLCC next to the Twin Towers in KL. Was tempted to buy it but had already built my Panzerjager so kept the hand off the wallet. Had I seen this earlier I would have made a better build of the kit. Lots of diorama ideas.

Speaking of the Twin Towers, although I've passed it many times as my wife works just across the street from it, it is quite impressive in the evening. My daughter was helping out at the education fair at the convention center and while accompanying her after it ended we decided to take a route through the park towards the mall. From that spot I can see why tourist take snap shots of it. Here's a snapshot from my daughters H/P...

twin.jpg

Cheers,
Richard