Ok i'll join the dio brigade

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers for the info guys. Trying not to spend to much money on it at the moment. Still paying for christmas here lol

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right i've added a bit more grass to the track. Still need to do some to the banking. Looking better me thinks :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Allyne that looks really good......and I get the feeling you're starting to enjoy it too! That is what I like about dioramas - the free flowing fun. Also it's magic seeing from what starts as a flat piece of wood, begin to come to life with each bit we add....or alter....or even scrap!

Keep it up, take your time and this will be one great diorama.

Cheers,

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ron. Yeah i'm enjoying it. But i still find it hard to recreate nature lol. The bushes look ok but not good. Maybe i'm trying to find 'perfection' to much. Also i seriously need to do some more painting on figures. I just cannot do faces and hands for the life of me :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
One of my bushes i've made. Think it might need more leaves? What you think?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I do like a nicely shaped bush!!

That looks spot on to me, bro'.

Ron

P

phalinmegob

"nicely shaped bush", i think i just wet myself laughing. this is al's bush we are talking about......looks great to me too

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok i've loosely placed some of the bushes i've done. Got at least one other tree to put in place, maye two. Depends if i can make the other one look realistic(ish). Will add the undergrowth before i finally place the trees and bushes. Looking ok?

M

mobear

reminds me of the `coal road,outside the village of Leitholm in the borders,its where the jim clark rally goes,so to me it looks perfect

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
To be honest Allyne, I like it just as it is, especially the gap on the left......perhaps one more in the group on the right, or a couple of smaller versions to the front.

It's your model and it's different things to different people! How about having a play around with different arrangements?

It'll look great whatever layout you decide on....

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The gap is going to have another tree in it at least. I was going to try and put another different type of bush in there but need to get it to look right first before i show that one. Not sure it can be found in the bocage but hey it'll make it look different :smiling3:

Keep the advice coming though please as i am finding it invaluable

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
How about a length of simple two board or wire fencing along the top before the trees/bushes are finally added? Might break it up a bit.....Give summat for the yanks to lean on too!

S

Saber

looking great and those bushes are well bushy :smiling3: :beer:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ron the yanks are supposed to be hiding from the Germans lol. I know what you are trying to say though. I don't want to over do the hedging.

Cheers Mark :smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
Great job...what did you use for foiliage on those bushes? they look really good

C

CDW

If you're worried about the look of the tree in the pictures, i wouldn't it looks fine to me ... just need the wire twists covering with filler or something and the foliage adding ... it'll be fine and dandy mate.

Your bushes look ok too ... we have to remember that nature is more random than our brains allow for so any shape, any size and position will do.

As Ron says, gaps are good sometimes ... an open space in a dio can even become a focal point.

In short ... i like what you've done so far :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Here's my home built gate out of lollipop sticks. Not totally painted as i messed up so might even have to build another if i can't rescue it. Also added a gorse bush next to the gate to add some colour to the dio

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Taking shape nicely Allyne. This latest photo gives a better idea of what you are aiming at....and your aim is true!

I hope you don't mind me sticking my dippy in again mate, but how about this.....Where dios are concerned, never throw anything away, things can always be re-cycled.

Take your gate for instance, I can't see what's wrong with it, but if you don't like it, keep it, but wreck it more and leave it lying on it's side with grass growing through it, then fit your new one. It would make a nice mini feature!

Putting my ex joiner's hat on, see the diagonal gate brace? Make sure the hinges are on the left as you look at the photo with the brace going up to the opposite side. The brace is to stop the gate sagging, but you could well know that already!lol

Yep, looking good.

Cheers,

Ron