Ok i'll join the dio brigade

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yeah i knew about the brace as i've just fitted a gate in my garden lol. I probably won't throw the gate away but the more i look at it the more i dislike the colour. I tried to recreate an older wood colour but added far too much brown and not enough grey. But i don't mind as this is only my first attempt at a dio and i am on a steep learning curve :smiling3:

C

CDW

I think you're starting to be your own worse critic Allyne (and i think all of us do it) ... everything looks fine to me, the gate's colour doesn't look out of place at all (although i can see what you want to achieve with an "old" looking wood).

As for the hinge and brace bit ... i'd best have a check to see if i've just done mine the right way round cos i had no smeggin' idea about that :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You are probably right Colin. I am being a little critical of myself. Just trying to make a decentish job of it though as i am so amazed at the really good work done on here on dios. I'll defo take everything everyone is saying on board. I have the plans for another few other dios that i really want to do. Infact one of them was supposed to be done before i even started this one but i need a special part for that (all will become clear in time lol).

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I would give the gate a rub with a wire brush, add a dark wash to soak into the scratches left by the brush and then drybrush a lighter colour on the surface,finally adding some pigments. But then thats just me ! Still looks good though Allyne.

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job so far allyne , it all looks fab to me. I too like your bush and young ron beat me to it with the brace tip, you cant keep an old chippie down! The gate looks fine BTW , maybe if youre not keen on the colour just drybrush some light grey over it ( most old ,exposed wood usually ends up very light in colour) with a bit of green on the top edges after for a moss effect.Keep at it mate , its going to be great , cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thickened up the grass on the banking tonight with 4mm static grass. Looks more natural now. Will start working around the gate posts tomorrow when i get chance to. Going to use 4mm and 6mm grass there as well as some weeds being placed there.

P.S. I know the Jagdpanther isn't finished yet. I just placed it there for scale effect

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

if you unwind some short lengths of garden twine (the beige stuff) it looks very convincing as dried grass that you'd find at the bottoms of fence and gate posts.

the dio's coming on really nicely mate...

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Haven't got any twine in the house Colin but i do have some deer hair that i was planning on using for that effect. The hair ranges from white to medium brown so i can pick and choose what i need :smiling3:

C

CDW

perfect mate.... i take it the rest of the deer ended up in stovies or the like :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It was lovely in caserols, stews and stovies :smiling3:

S

Saber

Looking very tasty and that tank is big and chunky :smiling3:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yeah it's a beast. They just look so mean and deadly (which they were).

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right i'm just about finished the first figures uniform. I'm 'trying' to do a rough 44 dot camo pattern. Not great but from a distance it's not too bad lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That cammo looks well Allyne, must have been a pain to do....I hope you aint got too many figures to do mind!

Good stuff,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work allyne , although i counted more than 44 dots LOL!! BTW , judging by the hand gesture ,is this Liam gallagher by any chance !! cheers tony

First Name
Chris
Looking goo Allyne, very nice indeed. Keep up the good work.

Regards

Chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. They do look ok from a distance. Only got another three Germans to paint like this.

Anyone know what colour the webbing is supposed to be? Some say field green and some say black

C

CDW

Thats a very well painted camo pattern Allyne, i don't envy you doing another three :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Just browsed 5 websites concerning the webbing colour and the outcome was 3 for grey, 2 dk grey/black (these being on an autumn type)

If that helps any??