OV10-A Bronco 1/48 Testors

T

treyzx10r

I know its common knowledge that this kit is a pig,but wow I had no idea it was a full on Boar Hog!What detail that is there is totally inaccurate,and the office ,well there is nothing behind the Pilots seat ,literally nothing! No second seat no bulkhead nothing. Still its the only game in town for 1/48 scale so on I go!

Sprue shot,the parts are falling off or have huge attachments,wow looks like those raised rivets would be more at home on a WW1 Tank!

Top and bottom wing halves are warped and in some really weird spots on the lower

Not to be left out the fuse halves are warped as well

On a bright note the canopy moldings look pretty clean,thankfully!

The flaws are pointed out now what to do about them? Well Paragon makes a resin upgrade and when they do come on evil bay they go for over $100 usd ,well I paid $12 usd for the kit so thats not going to happen on my bench unless someone has one that they just want to donate to the build.......que the cricketts. That leaves me with scratching and reshaping. I willl admit I did order 2 resin Martin Baker seats that set me back $9.00 usd and a decal sheet for $5.00 usd but I'm hoping thats all my wallet will bleed on this ,we'll see.

First the obvious is the lack of office detail. I used some spent gift cards as templates and fashioned a rear bulkhead

taped those together and used it as a template to make a solid bulhead out of sheet styrene

as soon as the seats arrive I'll plot my next attack,cheers and Happy New Year to all!

C

Caledonia

Test of patience there mate, but you will conquer Trey - Happy New Year. Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice trey , a very cool looking bird, but as you say the only game in town in 1/48 .I was tempted by the testors 1/48 banshee the other day but commonsense prevailed and i passed it up , apparently its the same story as this one - an ancient mould with NO detail. Looking forward to seeing this build up , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good luck old chap..................

First Name
Dave
Nice to see another old kit given the Trey treatment.i look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
My goodness thats a well warped kit, but I'm sure you'll fettle it.

Happy New Year mate.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for the support everyone and happy new year !

I've won the battle with the warped wing. I broke the lower wing in 2 spots while tweaking it,the plastic is very brittle. I hit the wing halves with a hair dryer and weighted them ,while hot. At this point the warps are %90 gone . Next after joining the halves I taped them down and weighted them again,this got the slight warp that was left out. The fit to the booms is decent ,some filler will be needed to fix up a gap on the starboard boom . Still waiting on the seats before I can finish scratching the office bits.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Knew you'd sort it. Well done mate.

Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Round one goes to trey! seconds out! round two!

First Name
Chris
Nice work Trey. I have this kit in my stash but was unaware of its foibles so will be watching your build with interest.

Regards

Chris

T

treyzx10r

Thanks fellas round 3 is on!Spent most of the weekend sanding off those hideous rivets and incorrect panel lines. I stole a trick from a fellow modeller, liquid paper! I'm liking how this stuff works to fill in some of the more stubborn deep lines. I also used it to fill the repaired cracks in the wing

I cleaned up the booms and sealed the doors in the up position,suprisingly they fit good. I still have the intakes to tackle,they are far from correct and not sure what I'll do to fix them yet

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I started using correction fluid recently too, it's fantastic. Nice work on beating the Bronco into submission Trey.

First Name
Dave
I'm disappointed you haven't used lots of Squadron green filler yet.That correction fluid/liquid paper looks interesting.Will have to try it myself.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey you move so fast on the models you make, I've only just caught up on this one which is looking great. As usual you like a challenge I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Can I ask,is your liquid paper a branded one or a pound shop jobbie. I've used the pound shop stuff in the past and found it was harder, when dry, than the than the surrounding plastic and I had to be careful when rubbing it down.

Your work looks the biz..

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Joe thanks

Dave it aint over I'm sure the green stuff will be in play soon;)

Vaughan thanks ,this one is being more of a challenge than I thought it was going to be for sure!

Tony thanks ,its 'Paper Mate' brand and I've found that it likes wet sanding over dry.

Still scratching my noggin on a fix for the intakes. I've also started the rescribe job and its being a bear for sure,this is a weak area in my modelling so its going slow!

B

Bari

I use liquid paper quite a lot for small gaps. W.H Smiths stuff is fine, to smooth it down when dry use low odour thinners (for oil paint) or white sprit on a cotton bud and gently rub away and it dissolves to a nice smooth finish.

T

treyzx10r

Nice tip Barry thanks!

I've gotten %90 of the booms rescribed,I'll have to add more once I sort out the intake shape issue. I also sanded off the small intakes and will replace one on each lower front starboard side boom,the second one up on the port side is'nt present on the ref aircraft I've photos of.

seats arrived today ,so at last I can start scratching an office

The Horizontal stab needs a few details,ie vortex generators and counter balancers but I'll add those just before paint.

The basic sub components so far

Last edited: