OV10-A Bronco 1/48 Testors

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Good luck with the re-scribing Trey not a fun job.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Vaughan it was'nt as hateful as I thought it was going to be. Looking at pictures of the real wing not much really shows in the way of panel lines,thankfully it made it pretty straight forward and simple. I'm going to have to rethink the vortex generators on the control surfaces ,might be too difficult to get them thin and small enough to look right.

The wing fit is decent but will require some putty fore and aft to blend in the small gaps

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job on the rescribing trey, my most favourite job , after canopy masking ---NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Really surprised the wing wasnt a bad fit, but i suspect thats all down to yourself ,not the kit! Keep it up matey , its a very valuable lesson for us all in perseverance and how to wrestle a pig and win !!LOL!! cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Trey your a brave man.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Michael,Tony,Ole and Vaughan thanks so much for the support, sure helps keeping me motivated!The Bronco is still trying to buck me me off. The booms did not want to square up so I had to apply a little pressure and mild heat with the hair dryer to get it aligned. Next up was dealing with the gaps fore and aft and some green putty took care of that.

The intakes on the engine nacelles are not correct

I scratched the second upper intake using the end tips cut from some old drop tanks.

Using layers of medium foam safe ca glue I then built up the areas around the intakes to shape. It took about 3 applications filing between each and then a thin application sanded smooth to get the final shape and fill imperfections

I've wet sanded the whole airframe and next will add the canopy assembly

cheers Trey

C

Caledonia

Love your attention to detail Trey, I like the float plane suggestion. Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
After all this work I bet you're happy to be at this stage. And maybe just a bit relieved............

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont you just love these modern 'shake and make' kits !!!!!! Tamiya had better watch out eh! Its a sign a kit is a bit tricky when the tools used in construction include a hairdryer and a 20 kg barrel of squadron green stuff !!!!!LOL!! great work matey , keep at it , cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking great Trey. Fantastic work mate, keep it up.

Tony.

C

CDW

I agree with the rest, some brilliant work going into this Trey, seems you're gradually breaking this bucking bronco in :smiling3: :smiling3:

A

andygh

Fantastic work Trey and very useful for me as I've also got this kit

It's constantly getting shoved to the back of the cupboard because of all the issues, especially the empty cockpit which is such a focus on the real aircraft and it's so visible inside that plexiglass

I'm following your build with a pencil & paper

T

treyzx10r

Roman,Ian thanks!

Derek thanks ,I really wanted to do the float version but I already had the gun pods glued on and this kit has beat me up enough without adding to the pain. Maybe if some kit maker decides to put out a decent release of this airframe in 1/48 it would tempt me,Tamiya ,Great Wall ya listening?

Colin M to say I'm relieved would be understating it for sure,this is turning into one of those builds you just want off the bench! Thanks !

Tony you hit the nail on the head it is just one of those kits,thanks as always for the kind words.

Andy,Tony,Colin thanks for the kind comments!

Andygh thanks appreciate the compliment,I ca'nt blame you for pushing this kit off . Mine had been in the stash so long it was growng moss on the north side of the box. Please note I took some liberties with the details so if you're going for a very accurate build mine has strayed off the path. Most notable the seats are from an F-4 and the top wing rescribe has some lines out of place.

The Canopy fit turned out decent enough after I sanded the edges to a bevel on the top join areas and took off some length on the sides and top parts,at least it was too long instead of being short. I also added the small intakes to the port sides of both engine nacelles.

I gave up trying to replicate the tiny vortex generator tabs on the controls and just concentrated on scratching the small actuators arms and control horns along with the mass balancers.

Next I scratched up the aerials

After a shot of some thinned down MM flat grey enamel I wet sanded everything with 1000grt knocking of some of the fiddly bits and having to reglue them in the process . Now its ready for the final coat of light USAF grey and some decals.

cheers Trey

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wow , that looks like a different kit now, great job trey! Its such a cool looking aircraft its a real shame no-one else (as you said , Great wall , take note!!)has tackled it in the larger scales. Keep up the fight mate and I cant wait to see it finished, cheers tony